Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2014, 06:17 PM

725 posts, read 1,242,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayStokes View Post
When part of the experience of a sporting event is being rowdy, loud, and getting involved in the actual game, yes, more is better. That is different than saying having more theater seats is better when your experience at a play has no way of improving whether you're sitting next to 300 people or 200 people. And as I said to TexasTallest, baseball was meant to be played outside. Being hot outside hasn't stopped the Rangers from having better attendance.
And you can play it outside at Minute Maid. Difference is, you're not forced to. You have choices. Which is something Dallasites like to talk about when it comes to things like rail and municipalities.

Minute Maid is just a better park. It looks better, it has the choice of the roof, the interior is extremely nice, and the best thing is that when the game is done, you step outside and you're in downtown Houston. You're not in Arlington.

And everyone has ballpark lists. You found one that's favorable to Globe Life (and the only one that I can find to be quite honest). Almost all of the one's I've seen has it in the bottom third of MLB, a position I think it richly deserves. It's a miserable place to be on a hot day or night, and again, it's 20 miles from where anything actually happens.

Minute Maid tends to be in the top third of these arbitrary lists, for what it's worth. Here's a couple for you.

Mark Zuckerman ranks all 30 MLB ballparks | Nats Insider

Man visits every MLB ballpark, ranks them

Quote:
My point is Dallas has more professional sports than Houston, which is an edge in and of itself. Professional Hockey fans have nowhere to watch hockey in Houston. Where would Houstonians go if they want to watch a live Sprint Cup Series event in NASCAR? They wouldn't. Or they'd drive to DFW.
Well, the original discussion wasn't about the number of professional sports, it was about the quality of the stadiums. You're moving the goalposts.

Quote:
And yet 99.9999% of people in Houston don't live in the Lofts at the Ballpark, so that doesn't apply to most people. Most people in Houston, regardless of the stadiums' locations, drive to the stadiums, no different than Dallas. And Houston is just as sprawled and large as Dallas. There are people who live in apartments walking distance to Cowboys Stadium and Globe Life Park, too. I agree that it's a plus having a bunch stadiums in one location, but it's not as big of a deal as Houstonians make it out to be. I do agree that both the Toyota Center and AAC are pretty amazing and not far apart on the inside.
Again, the fact that most people don't live walking distance to the ballpark isn't the point. The fact that you have that choice (along with many others) in downtown Houston is a huge plus. The areas around Globe Life and Cowboys Stadium are primarily oceans of parking. There's a few places walking distance but it's not at all the same.

As far as the stadiums themselves go though I stand by my original thought that Houston generally has newer, better stadiums in better locations. We haven't even discussed BBVA Compass, which is an absolute jewel compared to Pizza Hut (or whatever it's called these days).

Old 08-26-2014, 06:23 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,876,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post

Again, the fact that most people don't live walking distance to the ballpark isn't the point. The fact that you have that choice (along with many others) in downtown Houston is a huge plus. The areas around Globe Life and Cowboys Stadium are primarily oceans of parking. There's a few places walking distance but it's not at all the same.
Ummmm.....did Houston change? Last time I saw Reliant Stadium (about two weeks ago), it had a "sea of parking" and was NOT downtown.....it was at the 610 loop? Directly across from a leveled field that ONCE housed an amusement park, and beside a wonderful old, yet delapidated structure called the Astrodome.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:25 PM

134 posts, read 133,942 times
Quote:
Sorry, but Dallas is noticeably better than Houston when it comes to BBQ and steakhouses. So that's at least two types of food that Dallas is arguably better at. I'd throw in Tex Mex and taco stands as well. Like many Texans, BBQ is my favorite food, and I've never been able to find BBQ in Houston that I could describe as even better than decent when compared to Austin or Dallas. Heck, I've had better BBQ in Midland than Houston. Houston clearly has an edge on seafood, creole, and international restaurants. But I really can't think of any type of food you can find in one city that you can't find in the other. I'd just argue that going by quality Dallas does regional and Americana style restaurants better while Houston does international and seafood better. Pretending either city is "not in the same league" as the other is disingenuous seeing as both are top 5 population centers and you can find pretty much ANY type of food in either city.

And I find it funny that you and TexasTallest like to criticize the Dallas posters for being overly biased when the two of you are clearly no better.
I stopped reading when he said Tex Mex and Taco Stands

Old 08-26-2014, 06:27 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,570,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Ummmm.....did Houston change? Last time I saw Reliant Stadium (about two weeks ago), it had a "sea of parking" and was NOT downtown.....it was at the 610 loop? Directly across from a leveled field that ONCE housed an amusement park, and beside a wonderful old, yet delapidated structure called the Astrodome.
he was referring to the ballparks. there are many new hotels and residential developments going up around the Houston ballpark.

NRG is in fact surrounded by a sea of parking as well, but at least our football stadium has rail access.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
he was referring to the ballparks. there are many new hotels and residential developments going up around the Houston ballpark.

NRG is in fact surrounded by a sea of parking as well, but at least our football stadium has rail access.
Yup.....and at least the DFW stadium is in a tourist zone with the football stadium, baseball park, amusement park, water park and hotels all together. Remind me where Houston's amusement park is again in relation to the Oiler stadium (ooops....sorry, the Oilers high tailed it to more fertile grounds, giving Houston the lackluster, also ran, Texans and the amusement park is just a grassy field....guess you can go watch grass grow for fun).

Old 08-26-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Yup.....and at least the DFW stadium is in a tourist zone with the football stadium, baseball park, amusement park, water park and hotels all together. Remind me where Houston's amusement park is again in relation to the Oiler stadium (ooops....sorry, the Oilers high tailed it to more fertile grounds, giving Houston the lackluster, also ran, Texans).
a "tourist zone".. lol. i didnt realize Arlington was a popular destination for tourists.. always an excuse.

that would be New Caney. opening next year.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
a "tourist zone".. lol. always an excuse.
Hey, that excuse was one of the pluses that brought myself and my employees to Dallas. Apparently Houston was too lazy and backward to even have an excuse.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Hey, that excuse was one of the pluses that brought myself and my employees to Dallas. Apparently Houston was too lazy and backward to even have an excuse.
errr.. what? Houston pulls more visitors annually than DFW so idk where you are getting the idea that DFW is better for tourism.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:16 PM

6,721 posts, read 9,968,790 times
New HOK leader helps win Hillwood's new Dallas high-rise project

New HOK leader helps win Hillwood's new Dallas high-rise project - Dallas Business Journal

Quote:
"A future building has the potential to impact the Dallas skyline for generations to come," he added.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
New HOK leader helps win Hillwood's new Dallas high-rise project

New HOK leader helps win Hillwood's new Dallas high-rise project - Dallas Business Journal
Unfortunately I'll have to believe it when I see it. They've been saying for way too long that a building might be coming that could change the Dallas skyline, all the while Houston has a handful of buildings over 500 feet currently under construction and plenty more on the drawing board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas