Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2014, 09:50 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,060,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeptrance View Post
Texans, let's admit it, no matter where we live, there are only 2 REAL cities in this state, DFW and H-town. Yeah, San Antonio, Austin and El Paso are cities but they're not CITIES, am I right?

So, here's the question, and I mean this in all good sport, no personal insults allowed:

Which city is the BEST and WHY, between Dallas and Houston?

I'll offer the opening volley in what I hope will be a lively Texas-friendly smack-down.

Houston might have heinous humidity, traffic, smog and floods, but I think it beats Dallas hands-down for culture. Seems like far more musicians, artists, and other interesting cultural types come from H-town. Dallas is good for... ummm..... shopping? And, uh... Malls?

Houston has a more cosmopolitan, multicultural vibe to me. OK, so one of the cultures happens to consist of cockroaches the size of economy cars, but heck, if we can train them then maybe we can use them to get around town and save on our energy bills, right?

Houston is a port city, it's near the ocean and it's very GREEN with beautiful big trees. Dallas is landlocked and doesn't even have an attractive waterway like San Antonio and Austin.

Anybody wanna take a shot at this? Which city represents Texas best? ALL IN GOOD FUN! Cuz I don't want this thread deleted or locked....

Austin seems to be more liberal and hipster like ans lots of young people from out of state.

Well Houston and Dallas is more business like. People move their to get high skilled job.

Where Austin more your out of state people and people going to school.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:29 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,584,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Well.....I said "BUS" and, ummmm, DFW has more Billionaires.
That tiny little red line, streetcar thing, of course everyone rides it....who wants to walk even a block in that horrible Houston humidity? LOL.
yes. those 4 extra billionaires DFW has over Houston are really going to make a difference on the mass transit ridership..

Houston has about 100,000 millionaires. DFW has a little over 80,000. thats 20,000 more millionaires in a metro with 500,000 less people. keep telling us about how ghetto and poor the people of Houston are..

#1 Houston, TX - In Photos: Millionaire Cities - Forbes

horrible Houston humidity? lolol.. who wants to walk a block in the horrible Dallas heat? i love how Dallasites always try to find a way and put down Houstons accomplishments.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:16 PM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,792,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
horrible Houston humidity? lolol.. who wants to walk a block in the horrible Dallas heat? i love how Dallasites always try to find a way and put down Houstons accomplishments.
Humidity is an accomplishment, how?

Old 08-25-2014, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post
Humidity is an accomplishment, how?
Quote:
Well.....I said "BUS" and, ummmm, DFW has more Billionaires.
That tiny little red line, streetcar thing, of course everyone rides it....who wants to walk even a block in that horrible Houston humidity? LOL.
THAT. is an accomplishment.. getting everyone to ride mass transit in a car-centric city.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:16 AM

2,931 posts, read 5,292,370 times
Gosh it never ends.

I finally figure it out. Some Dallasites really try to act like Dallas is leaps and bounds above Houston. From their heat to their mass transit claims. Making claims about Houston's heat/humidity when Dallas is just as uncomfortably hot is laughable. Let's not bring up the time Dallas officials tried to bring up mosquitos in Houston when they lost the Olympic Bid (like they don't have mosquitos). Not to mention, while they may have a superior rail transit, they try to act like they're not a car-centric city and like "everyone" in the city rides transit like its an east coast city.

Keep it coming Dallasites. I need laughter in my life.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:19 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,619,068 times
People from Houston talking about Dallas' heat and people from Dallas talking about Houston's humidity always cracks me up. Both cities have almost the EXACT same heat index (real-feel) in the summer after all is said and done. What slight differences there are in temps and dew points balance each other out in discomfort levels. Both cities are equally miserable in the summer, end of story.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:44 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,619,068 times
Oh, and I also love the arguments over who has more billionaires and millionaires. Because, you know, class separation is such a great thing to be proud of in your hometown.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
People from Houston talking about Dallas' heat and people from Dallas talking about Houston's humidity always cracks me up. Both cities have almost the EXACT same heat index (real-feel) in the summer after all is said and done. What slight differences there are in temps and dew points balance each other out in discomfort levels. Both cities are equally miserable in the summer, end of story.
This.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:29 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,914,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Gosh it never ends.

I finally figure it out. Some Dallasites really try to act like Dallas is leaps and bounds above Houston.
I just recently moved to Dallas.....so not a long term Dallasite. In looking to move to either Houston or Dallas from a variety of quality of life metrics, Dallas easily won and IMO, is leaps and bounds above in many regards. Houston wins on proximity to the beach. DFW wins on airport, transit, arts, shopping, weather, white collar feel, housing options. Houston and Dallas tie on food. Houston wins on tall buildings, but then who moves because of tall buildings? LOL.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:50 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,493,972 times
Quote:
I just recently moved to Dallas.....so not a long term Dallasite. In looking to move to either Houston or Dallas from a variety of quality of life metrics, Dallas easily won and IMO, is leaps and bounds above in many regards. Houston wins on proximity to the beach. DFW wins on airport, transit, arts, shopping, weather, white collar feel, housing options. Houston and Dallas tie on food. Houston wins on tall buildings, but then who moves because of tall buildings? LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas