Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2014, 02:28 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,985,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayStokes View Post
How did you come up with that math?

Houston: 627.8 square miles, 3,503 people per square mile

Dallas: 385.8 square miles, 3,645 people per square mile

The population density is so close it's hardly worth discussing. The only real difference between the two cities is how much larger in land area Houston is. If Dallas were to annex its inner ring suburbs, the two cities would be nearly identical on paper.
Youre using city limits. I said urban areas. Not to mention youre using older numbers for Houston and the new Dallas numbers.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:50 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,419,330 times
Default this is still not an accurate depiction

[ Dallas Dallass. QUOTE=First24;34760393]Land area per MSA:

DFW Metroplex: 8,991 sq miles
Greater Houston: 8,929 sq miles

I stand corrected.[/quote]

yes the land area numbers that are stated are correct however they dont take into account National Wildlife Refuges and National Forests etc. which Houston has far more of

Old 05-14-2014, 04:11 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,476,282 times
Its no way you will make houston smaller than Dallas land wise......its double the size of Dallas...point blank

Old 05-14-2014, 04:12 PM

2,931 posts, read 5,282,840 times
Quote:
I'm just using the numbers on each city's Wikipedia page. I assumed they were both the most current. My point was only that the density of each city isn't different enough to be noticeable. It was not to boast Dallas over Houston.
Whether you meant to do it or not, you did it.

Considering the fact that we were talking about urban areas and not city limits, AND this being a Dallas VS Houston thread, it looked like there was some hidden agenda there.

See how Dallasites try to play innocent?

Old 05-15-2014, 12:57 AM

420 posts, read 707,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post

Considering the fact that we were talking about urban areas and not city limits, AND this being a Dallas VS Houston thread, it looked like there was some hidden agenda there.

Here was my original post. Do please tell me which part of this implies anything other than the cities are pretty much exactly the same and which part has a "hidden agenda."

Quote:
The population density is so close it's hardly worth discussing. The only real difference between the two cities is how much larger in land area Houston is. If Dallas were to annex its inner ring suburbs, the two cities would be nearly identical on paper.

Again, you all are complaining about these numbers from 2010 for Houston instead of 2012, yet none of you have posted the more recent numbers. Is that because you all already know that it really doesn't make a difference or change what I said and you just want to continue to argue for argument's sake?

So unless Houston has significantly increased its population density in two years, which let's all be honest, it hasn't, it really doesn't change that Dallas and Houston's population densities aren't noticeably different at all. And defining which parts of Houston and Dallas are the "urban parts" seems like an endless debate over intangibles that can't be proven. Y'all have fun with that, though.

Last edited by RayStokes; 05-15-2014 at 01:05 AM..

Old 05-15-2014, 04:02 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,388,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Of course, county sizes are larger in the Houston area than in DFW. Urban areas show a better picture, with Houston just a bit denser and on less land.
Not really. Urban area data paints a distorted picture of actual urbanity.

Example; per Census Bureau data, Boston's urban area encompasses only 93 square miles more than DFW, yet averages a population density of 600+ less people per square mile!?!? Philadelphia has almost the same situation.

Anyone who's been to the Boston and Philadelphia areas can probably attest that they're FAR denser than anything in the DFW and Houston areas. UA stats can lie.

List of United States urban areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
[ Dallas Dallass. QUOTE=First24;34760393]Land area per MSA:

DFW Metroplex: 8,991 sq miles
Greater Houston: 8,929 sq miles

I stand corrected.

yes the land area numbers that are stated are correct however they dont take into account National Wildlife Refuges and National Forests etc. which Houston has far more of
I doubt there are "far" more areas of undeveopable land in Houston than DFW. There are huge swaths of undevelopable land in the Metroplex around the Trinity Rivers alone.

Last edited by First24; 05-15-2014 at 05:21 AM..

Old 05-15-2014, 08:25 AM

4,442 posts, read 5,367,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by First24 View Post

Example; per Census Bureau data, Boston's urban area encompasses only 93 square miles more than DFW, yet averages a population density of 600+ less people per square mile!?!? Philadelphia has almost the same situation.

Anyone who's been to the Boston and Philadelphia areas can probably attest that they're FAR denser than anything in the DFW and Houston areas. UA stats can lie.

I doubt there are "far" more areas of undeveopable land in Houston than DFW. There are huge swaths of undevelopable land in the Metroplex around the Trinity Rivers alone.
Well in Houston you do have the two HUGE retention basins where George Bush and Cullen parks sit. On a map it equates to the half the size of the inner loop.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:53 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,046,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Its no way you will make houston smaller than Dallas land wise......its double the size of Dallas...point blank
Nope

D/FW covers more land area than Greater Houston. It has to, the population is slightly larger.

Density however is almost identical.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:58 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,388,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post

Houston boosters want the proverbial 'cake and eat it to' scenario. Some of you guys boast how much population and amenities are contained within the city limits as compared to Dallas, but intentionally forget how much larger the city limits are by comparison. Then, when a metric arises that shows Houston's population and density in a more prominent light (like urban area), all of a sudden you guys want to change to a different metric for reasons like; because Houston's counties are so much bigger than in the DFW region, using urban area stats give a better picture.

Situations like these are a reason Houston and it's boosters are so maligned, at times, on the city vs city forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Well in Houston you do have the two HUGE retention basins where George Bush and Cullen parks sit. On a map it equates to the half the size of the inner loop.
^ OK, I'm not disputing this info.

Within Dallas' inner loop, the same claim can be made. The Trinity River floodplain, Great Trinity Forest Preserve (along with multiple other preserves), White Rock Greenbelt and so on.. also also add up to a large percentage of undevelopable land area. Dallas also has a large airport taking up a lot of space within the same loop area.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:17 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,419,330 times
Default The Urban areas List

Quote:
Originally Posted by First24 View Post

If you look further down the list you will see that Conroe and The Woodlands are a separate Urban Area from Houston. If You ad Conroe and The Woodlands in the Houston Urban area has more population. However I must admit that comparing Dallas and Houston there really is not that much difference. It is better to compare the 2 with places like Atlanta, Miami, Philadelphia, Orlampa etc. The Houston and Dallas comparison is really a moot point
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas