Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2014, 06:21 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,571,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Enough with these foolish arguments. Houston and Dallas are both great prosperous cities in a great state; just like California has Los Angeles, and the Bay Area.
^^^ This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
I doubt it....A mod posted right after me with more interesting videos of Dallas.

How is our arts distirct not quality????(Hating houstonian downplaying Dallas AGAIN)
NY and Chicago dont have light rail...How are we tryna fool somebody? We DO have the largest light rail system in the U.S....you need to stop...light rail works fine for Dallas and its getting better.
It's a nice arts district.. But the only accolade I've ever heard of it is that it's the biggest in the country. I already pointed out why Houston's is superior.
I know NYC and Chicago don't have light rail, I'm referring to mass transit systems in general. It moves around 200,000 people a day vs NYCs mad transit moving millions a day... Light rail wise dart serves around 90,000 people a day with 85 miles of rail.. Boston's light rail serves 220,000 people with 26 miles of rail.. Almost 6 times more people per mile than Dallas system.. DART isn't very effective.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:25 PM

6,722 posts, read 9,970,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
^^^ This.

It's a nice arts district.. But the only accolade I've ever heard of it is that it's the biggest in the country. I already pointed out why Houston's is superior.
I know NYC and Chicago don't have light rail, I'm referring to mass transit systems in general. It moves around 200,000 people a day vs NYCs mad transit moving millions a day... Light rail wise dart serves around 90,000 people a day with 85 miles of rail.. Boston's light rail serves 220,000 people with 26 miles of rail.. Almost 6 times more people per mile than Dallas system.. DART isn't very effective.
It has a lot to do with people's mentality. I would rather get to my destination by myself in the comfort of my own vehicle. A lot of people think this way, as do I.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:27 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,571,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Size and amount of parks don't matter, if it isn't effective in drawing people to it.
I agree.. Tell that to the "largest urban arts district" in the country... Klyde warren is definitely located in a great spot.
Though given the 40,000 people that live in downtown Dallas and the tens of thousands in uptown, I'm not surprised. What is remarkable is that over a million people a year visit discovery green when the downtown population of Houston is between 5-10,000..

Old 01-23-2014, 06:45 PM

4,440 posts, read 6,318,396 times
Why do people act like the new Klyde Warren Park is the only park in the core of Dallas? Do they think there weren't any parks until this one recently open. Folks on here tend to discount the park system along Turtle Creek or parks near downtown like Marsalis Park. The White Rock Lake area offers a lot of outdoors opportunities in the city as well. I've never felt like I was in some sort of concrete jungle living in central Dallas. Yes, of course we could improve by having even more parks, but it's not like there aren't nice ones already. Lot's of nice pocket parks in the core as well: Griggs Park, Dealey Plaza, Main Street Garden, Belo Garden, Cole Park as well as others around.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:48 PM

6,294 posts, read 7,515,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Ok.......I didnt see anything that you cant get in other cities in any of these boring Houston videos....
You didn't see that Pleasure Pier out over the Gulf? Does Dallas have a Gulf or even a bay ?

^^^^ Look how Purdy

Old 01-23-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
^^^ This.

Let me ask you a legit question. When you get in your car to get from point A to point B, does it matter how many vehicles drive on that same road each day or does it matter that the road gets you where you need to go? The point of public transportation is to offer an option of transport to those who may not have other means, etc. Does it really matter how many people are currently riding DART each day or does it matter that it's an extensive system opening travel opportunities to people around the Dallas area? Plus the rail system here is much more than just DART, people can transfer to the TRE or A-Train to reach even more destinations. I take DART to and from work everyday and I love it. I am not worried about "OMG there's not tons of people at the train station". The DART system is still new and it will grow as Dallas grows. The two will grow into each other. I do hope Dallas adds more streetcar lines onto it's new system. This will be a great connection to the DART stations from the inner neighborhoods.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
You didn't see that Pleasure Pier out over the Gulf? Does Dallas have a Gulf or even a bay ?

^^^^ Look how Purdy
Wait. Houston can claim Galveston, but it's cheating if Dallas has Ft Worth in it's metro statistics (which is 12 miles from city limit to city limit)?

Old 01-23-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
That article is taking information from 2010-2012. DFW is currently the fastest growing area in population. So either Dallas is getting big numbers in foreign migrants or this article is wrong and DFW's biggest growth is due to internal migration. I'm sure Houston would throw a fit if it's the formal due to it's claim as Texas international migration capital.
Maybe its the birth rate in DFW thats making it grow so fast, or maybe the claim is hot air.

I'm sure there are a lot of different studies that can claim just about anything. DFW boosters were saying the same thing the last decade as well, but it didn't pan out in the long run did it?

Old 01-23-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Wait. Houston can claim Galveston, but it's cheating if Dallas has Ft Worth in it's metro statistics (which is 12 miles from city limit to city limit)?
I never said FW wasn't included in DFW. I was told ( by people on this forum from Dallas) that one can say Dallas and that refers to the whole Metroplex.

One of your people (boi) asked what was in the Houston video that wasn't in the DFW or Dallas video that he posted. I was jus sayin

Old 01-23-2014, 07:01 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,022,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
You see, this is where the differences lay.

Houston never brags about Galveston because it only adds an extra 47k (Wow) to its metro. There could not be a Galveston & there would still be other beach towns inside the metro for Houstonians to enjoy.

Dallas on the other hand needs Fort Worth to claim exorbitant population numbers & feel mighty. If not for Fort Worth, the Dallas MSA would be the same size as the Houston MSA & possibly even smaller.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 01-23-2014 at 07:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas