Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2012, 04:40 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,891,136 times

Advertisements

I hate these threads because inevitably, in come the bashers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT3x View Post
601 - Houston is the undisputed leader when it comes to size of inferiority complex (see above)
602 - No pesky tourists due to Houston's national reputation as a squalid hellhole
603 - Houston doesn't waste money on things like attractive architecture or city planning
604 - No need to clean sidewalks in Houston, the acid rain takes care of it.
605 - No camera crews to get in your way since all TV shows shooting in Texas ignore Houston
It's obvious you have absolutely nothing ever good to say about Houston, and in fact, just make things up since you apparently have no good actual reasons. Total rubbish. I doubt you've been in Houston any time recently, and if you have, you were either in the ghetto or have no problem making up lies. The Haiti comment, hellhole, acid rain... all beyond ridiculous. Just stop.

America's Favorite Cities 2011 - City Comparison - Houston vs Dallas/Fort Worth | Travel + Leisure

Old 04-24-2012, 05:17 PM

965 posts, read 1,893,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
I hate these threads because inevitably, in come the bashers...
No more inevitable than the insecure, paranoid, defensive Houstonians such as yourself and others who need pointless lists to validate themselves or feel the need to respond to every little comment made about your fair city, even when their obviously facetious. Y'all act like someone called your mother a wh*re whenever someone is not in love with Houston the way y'all are.

Just be happy that Houston is the closest that Texas will ever have to a real city and idiotic posters like that won't ever set foot there.

This list is no more valid than the one posted by the OP. it's data from magazine subscribers, it's certainly not scientific.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:25 PM

4,468 posts, read 6,368,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
Anyone who thinks Dallas by far isn't the most urban, powerful, wealthiest, influential, and cultural city in this region is daft. Fort Worth is the only over relevant city in the discussion. Not Irving. Not Plano. Not Arlington. Yes, Dallas has big, overpopulated suburbs. Houston doesn't. At the end of the day, just because your address still says "Houston" when you live 20 miles outside of downtown doesn't mean that you're in any less of a suburban wasteland than you are living in Arlington or Carrollton. Both Dallas and Houston are overrun by sprawl. The only difference is where municipality lines are drawn.
Thank you!

But this has to be used as a negative against Dallas to make it look smaller, less important, etc.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:57 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,714,183 times
I would say both, Houston and Dallas, have an inferiority complex....judging by how y'all keep going on about it. It's quite funny, actually....and quite telling.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:26 PM

343 posts, read 808,716 times
Typical insecure Houstonian attitude. This is an embarrassment, not based on fact, and shows you have WAY too much time on your hands. Some good, factual debate is always welcome (a reason why we have the smackdown thread) but this is absolutely overkill.

I feel like a mod should lock this

Old 04-24-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
No more inevitable than the insecure, paranoid, defensive Houstonians such as yourself and others who need pointless lists to validate themselves
Whoa! I don't sit around making such lists or starting smackdown threads, or act insecure or paranoid. I really don't appreciate that accusation, when have you had a problem with me before?

I simply try to relay facts, correct what's incorrect, try to be helpful, and call out liars and bashers. Please don't mix me up with other posters here.

Quote:
or feel the need to respond to every little comment made about your fair city, even when their obviously facetious.
You'd be surprised how many people are being serious. If someone's making something up or bashing for the sake of bashing, I'm don't see the problem in calling them out, especially when it's a pattern from the same people.

Quote:
This list is no more valid than the one posted by the OP. it's data from magazine subscribers, it's certainly not scientific.
It is a poll that refutes the claim of "Houston's national reputation as a squalid hellhole" as said in the post I replied to, which is the only reason I mentioned it.

I really think you are aiming your discontent in the wrong direction.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:14 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,498,025 times
Quote:
Whoa! I don't sit around making such lists or starting smackdown threads, or act insecure or paranoid. I really don't appreciate that accusation, when have you had a problem with me before?

I simply try to relay facts, correct what's incorrect, try to be helpful, and call out liars and bashers. Please don't mix me up with other posters here.

You'd be surprised how many people are being serious. If someone's making something up or bashing for the sake of bashing, I'm don't see the problem in calling them out, especially when it's a pattern from the same people.

It is a poll that refutes the claim of "Houston's national reputation as a squalid hellhole" as said in the post I replied to, which is the only reason I mentioned it.

I really think you are aiming your discontent in the wrong direction.
So from a Houstonians standpoint, what does this list prove exactly?

Old 04-24-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
So from a Houstonians standpoint, what does this list prove exactly?
The OP's list? I really don't know... it was so long that I didn't bother reading through it.

But, I can guess. I can assume that things like this will continue, unfortunately. Why? From a Houstonian's point of view, for being the country's 4th largest city with a lot of awesome offerings, it's probably the most misunderstood, bashed, ignored (except for negatives, which are often exaggerated) large city in the US. I know a lot of people will agree. This causes many Houstonians to over-correct because they feel outsiders are ignorant and need to be educated. They feel the city doesn't get the respect it deserves, and I agree, though I don't agree with all the methods tried to correct for that.

Now, this is NOT the same as an inferiority complex, which means they don't feel they measure up. In reality, they KNOW they measure up, have the data to prove it, and are offended that outsiders fail to acknowledge this.

Once the widespread Houston-bashing stops or at least significantly improves, I guarantee you won't see nearly as much of this like from the OP.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:42 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,545,166 times
Quote:
The OP's list? I really don't know... it was so long that I didn't bother reading through it.

But, I can guess. I can assume that things like this will continue, unfortunately. Why? From a Houstonian's point of view, for being the country's 4th largest city with a lot of awesome offerings, it's probably the most misunderstood, bashed, ignored (except for negatives, which are often exaggerated) large city in the US. I know a lot of people will agree. This causes many Houstonians to over-correct because they feel outsiders are ignorant and need to be educated. They feel the city doesn't get the respect it deserves, and I agree, though I don't agree with all the methods tried to correct for that.

Now, this is NOT the same as an inferiority complex, which means they don't feel they measure up. In reality, they KNOW they measure up, have the data to prove it, and are offended that outsiders fail to acknowledge this.

Once the widespread Houston-bashing stops or at least significantly improves, I guarantee you won't see nearly as much of this like from the OP.

So the OP, who is notorious in his short stay on these boards for trolling, creates a list of 600 baseless and erroneous claims about Dallas, a list he has posted on two different forums now amongst other efforts to take shots at Dallas, and you are so offended that BigT3x had a little fun and responded to it? Oh, Houston is so mistreated.

606. Houston's little feelings get hurt way too easily.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
So the OP, who is notorious in his short stay on these boards for trolling, creates a list of 600 baseless and erroneous claims about Dallas, a list he has posted on two different forums now amongst other efforts to take shots at Dallas, and you are so offended that BigT3x had a little fun and responded to it?
Yes.

OP is a newbie, maybe he's learning the ropes, maybe not. I didn't read the whole list, but quickly glancing through it, it looked like a lot of it was just touting Houston rather than throwing nasty insults at Dallas.

BigT3x has been around longer and should know better than to throw nasty insults again and again.

Quote:
606. Houston's little feelings get hurt way too easily.
Sure about that? Why such the reaction in the first place to the thread from the Dallas folks then? Apparently they are really butt-hurt from a list that doesn't even appear that insulting at first glance. A little different than saying some place is a hellhole that no one visits, don't you think? That's more like trolling. Just pointing out an observation...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas