Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2014, 09:28 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,861,813 times

Advertisements

Interesting report on passenger numbers. Look at Page 3. What is that decrease on Houston's ridership numbers?
http://www.apta.com/resources/statis...rship-APTA.pdf

Old 08-21-2014, 09:45 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Interesting report on passenger numbers. Look at Page 3. What is that decrease on Houston's ridership numbers?
How is the ridership in South Carolina?

Old 08-21-2014, 09:58 AM

725 posts, read 1,240,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
I don't exactly understand what you mean. End of 2013 numbers are higher than end of 2012 numbers due partially to the expansion. Numbers are essentially flat overall YOY. They should grow fairly significantly for 2014.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:38 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
When Did The Colony, Mesquite, Arlington, Balch Springs, Hutchins, Seagoville, Duncanville, DeSoto, Frisco and Grand Prairie become DART member cities? If you didn't put money in, there shouldn't be any DART services...
I agree, but the point was, boi is over exaggerating (by a lot) claiming DART takes you EVERYHERE in Dallas/DFW, which is a far cry from the truth.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:33 PM

looks like another university is coming to Houston.. UT plans to open an Energy Engineering Institute in Houston in 2015.

UT plans Houston energy engineering institute - Houston Business Journal

Quote:
"A big focus is going to be on the energy area," Helms said, and so many of the top companies are in Houston. "We want to put industry and academia shoulder to shoulder.
"Houston is the perfect place for this. All the companies are there," he added. "And we don't have much presence there."

Old 08-21-2014, 02:23 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,790,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
I agree, but the point was, boi is over exaggerating (by a lot) claiming DART takes you EVERYHERE in Dallas/DFW, which is a far cry from the truth.
Boi is using the term vaguely, but I think you're taking it to literal. No rail system on earth literally takes you "everywhere". If DART starts serving SW Plano for example, the next issue would be that it's not really serving W Plano because it's just goes to SW Plano and not NW Plano. You can always get more precise with it.

Just thinking off the top of my head here, rail in DFW can take you to:

13 Cities (Dallas, Fort Worth, Irving, Plano, Farmers Branch, Carrollton, Rowlett, Garland, Richardson, Denton, Lewisville, Richland Hills, Highland Village)
3 Cities indirectly (Unversity Park, Highland Park, Hurst)
3 Medical Centers (Southwestern, Baylor, VA)
3 Convention Centers (Irving, Dallas, Fort Worth)
2 Airports (DFW, Love)
8 Entertainment Centers (Victory, Fair Park, Deep Ellum, West End, Arts District, Dallas Zoo, Sundance Square, Downtown Dallas)
4 Lakes (Ray Hubbard, Bachman, White Rock, Lewisville)

I don't even know where to begin as far as job centers, residential areas, and shopping centers go. The thing is you can live, work, shop, have fun, get drunk, get sick, go to hospital, die, get dumped in the Trinity or local lake, fly away, or get away from it all in a far out exurb. And this is not evening taking into account the streetcars.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:18 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
Boi is using the term vaguely, but I think you're taking it to literal. No rail system on earth literally takes you "everywhere". If DART starts serving SW Plano for example, the next issue would be that it's not really serving W Plano because it's just goes to SW Plano and not NW Plano. You can always get more precise with it.

13 Cities (Dallas, Fort Worth, Irving, Plano, Farmers Branch, Carrollton, Rowlett, Garland, Richardson, Denton, Lewisville, Richland Hills, Highland Village)
2 Airports (DFW, Love)
8 Entertainment Centers (Victory, Fair Park, Deep Ellum, West End, Arts District, Dallas Zoo, Sundance Square, Downtown Dallas)

I don't even know where to begin as far as job centers, residential areas, and shopping centers go. The thing is you can live, work, shop, have fun, get drunk, get sick, go to hospital, die, get dumped in the Trinity or local lake, fly away, or get away from it all in a far out exurb. And this is not evening taking into account the streetcars.
+1.............Texas Tallest will never swallow this because his feelings are hurt.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:34 PM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,784,183 times
Yes, Houston already has Aer Lingus flights.

But, DFW continues to position itself high on the list of world hubs.

Aer Lingus Plans DFW — Civil Aviation Forum | Airliners.net

Old 08-21-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post

2 Airports (DFW, Love)

very cool.. the point is it doesnt go EVERYWHERE. like the soccer stadium, the baseball field, or the football stadium for example. or Highland Park Village shopping center. or the Dallas Galleria area.
DART is much more extensive than METRO. i dont think that was ever a question. DART has 85 miles of light rail and 50 miles of commuter rail. so 135 miles of rail. Houston has 13 miles of light rail and 0 miles of commuter rail, so 13 miles of total rail. DFW has over 10 times as much rail as Houston. of course its going to get you to a lot more places. but what rail Houston does have is extremely effective and moves large amounts of people through some of the busiest parts of the city.

Old 08-21-2014, 05:22 PM

725 posts, read 1,240,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post
Yes, Houston already has Aer Lingus flights.

But, DFW continues to position itself high on the list of world hubs.

Aer Lingus Plans DFW — Civil Aviation Forum | Airliners.net
No Aer Lingus in IAH unfortunately. I agree with the general sentiment in the airliners.net thread you posted - both cities are long shots. I think Aer Lingus is much more likely to start Miami and maybe Los Angeles before they look at Houston or DFW.

Just relying on local traffic from either airport with no feed on the Texas end that flight would be DOA. Aer Lingus does codeshare with United on some east coast routes though so they could perhaps get some feed on the U.S. side if they were to try an IAH flight.

Doubt wither will happen anytime soon, but after Aer Lingus picks a bit more low-hanging fruit they might think about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas