Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2011, 11:32 AM
tcs

218 posts, read 877,453 times

Advertisements

My folks bought a house on Lyceum in 1959 before Medical Center existed. Later at the corner of Callaghan and Babcock, which was only 2 lanes at the time, we got our first 25¢ coin op car wash. 25¢ for a full 5 minutes.
Mom would always take me to Wonderland on the weekends when she went shopping. I would want to hang out at the Handy Andy lobster tank and the stocking belt from that stores basement, way cool. There was a sign at the exit from Wonderland to Fred Road that said, "Drive onto steel plate for green light."

Does anyone have any pictures of the old Wonderland sign?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 12:18 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,274,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
ummm....you forget ol' Frenchie at the Shamrock station across from what was then KBAT, just north of the creek there?

Just up the road from TX Star was our liquor store (until the mid-70's) and Hardware store (until the mid-70's). T&L Ice House in beautiful downtown Leon Valley....Paula's Cafe next to our hardware store, Meiske's Gas Station...
Ah Shamrock. I loved Shamrocks and still remember the Sigmor Shamrock--on Wurzbach I think. My mother said some of her older siblings knew the original owners. My first CC at 16 was a Shamrock card (although Diamond by then). I almost cried when those Valero signs went up.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:42 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,298,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeel View Post
TexasRedneck--my brother went to Marshall in the 70's and we lived in Shenandoah. Wonder if y'all hung out!

I myself moved (with parents of course) but would have been class of 85 at Clark. In fact I got invited to their last reunion but missed it due to our move to NC. We're already coming back so I popped over here to the SA forum to get me through my last 3 weeks of homesickness. Funny seeing Shenandoah mentioned!

Going way back to my mother's time--does anyone remember Wolf's Inn? She always called the street HamiltonWolf WolfHamilton because she said that was how they said it when it ran from Wolf's Inn to the Hamilton's place. She said Bluemel like the German name as well instead of Blue - Mel like everyone does now.
ddeel,
I wrote extensively about the old Wolf's Inn in the original Gone But Not Forgotten SA thread. I found out that Hamilton refered to a woman who was in the old days a somewhat famous horsewoman, butI haven't been able to find any specific information on her. Do you have any info on her that might be interesting?

Old 02-01-2011, 12:57 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,274,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
ddeel,
I wrote extensively about the old Wolf's Inn in the original Gone But Not Forgotten SA thread. I found out that Hamilton refered to a woman who was in the old days a somewhat famous horsewoman, butI haven't been able to find any specific information on her. Do you have any info on her that might be interesting?
I can look through my aunts geneology stuff. Unfortunately every one of my mother's siblings--including my mother--have died. My mother was a Barnett from the area and the family dairy farm was right across from Hobby MS. It's close enough that there might be something about the Hamilton family. My uncle Louis Barnett worked at Wolf's Inn way back when--way, way back, I was the surprise last grandchild in a family whose siblings were 20+ years apart!

Old 02-01-2011, 03:42 PM

9 posts, read 35,100 times
Back in the mid-1970's and early 1980's, I used to give free Guitar Lessons for San Antonio Parks & Recreation at many of the Parks & Recreation centers. At one point, I taped 4 shows on beginning guitar that were aired on the Public Access station for many months. I almost forgot about that!

Old 02-01-2011, 03:53 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,880,235 times
I remember some boring nights watching Public Access on Paragon Cable. It was channel 21 I believe or very near that. There were some very unusual programs but nothing like Wayne's World.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:56 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,050,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbotello View Post
Back in the mid-1970's and early 1980's, I used to give free Guitar Lessons for San Antonio Parks & Recreation at many of the Parks & Recreation centers. At one point, I taped 4 shows on beginning guitar that were aired on the Public Access station for many months. I almost forgot about that!
Hey gbot' ... did you know John Grell? He was in Winterkat and was my guitar instructor for a few years.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:31 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,504,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs View Post
My folks bought a house on Lyceum in 1959 before Medical Center existed. Later at the corner of Callaghan and Babcock, which was only 2 lanes at the time, we got our first 25¢ coin op car wash. 25¢ for a full 5 minutes.
Mom would always take me to Wonderland on the weekends when she went shopping. I would want to hang out at the Handy Andy lobster tank and the stocking belt from that stores basement, way cool. There was a sign at the exit from Wonderland to Fred Road that said, "Drive onto steel plate for green light."

Does anyone have any pictures of the old Wonderland sign?
I posted a pic of Wonderland in this thread Stores of Downtown S.A. in the 60s

No Wonderland sign though...I'll look and see if I can find one of it.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:41 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,504,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
ummm....you forget ol' Frenchie at the Shamrock station across from what was then KBAT, just north of the creek there?

Just up the road from TX Star was our liquor store (until the mid-70's) and Hardware store (until the mid-70's). T&L Ice House in beautiful downtown Leon Valley....Paula's Cafe next to our hardware store, Meiske's Gas Station...
I remember that old Shamrock station well....that was the only building out that far until you got to Helotes it seemed. Wasn't the radio station across the street from the Shamrock the old KKYX?

My parents used to go to Texas Star Inn back when they were going to Northside High School (today's Marshall) back in the 50's.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:35 AM

9 posts, read 35,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
Hey gbot' ... did you know John Grell? He was in Winterkat and was my guitar instructor for a few years.

I am afraid I did not know John Grell, at least, not by name. Where did he teach out of?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio