Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2010, 09:46 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,864,882 times

Advertisements

[quote=Boss Rider;12974884]
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Lasses and Goliad. Frontier's were good places. Yep, I miss them BR!! You aren't mixing up the Flame on Military Drive are you ?? Now it's a Mexican Restaurant...

Nope, no mix up. It was the Flame until '58 or '59 when Jim's bought him out. He took the money and opened the Flame on military in '60, but since we had nowhere but the Frontier to go to for a year, we mostly stayed there. I joined the Navy after I graduated from Highlands in '60, and haven't spent much time in SA since. I was back for my Mom's 90th birthday last week, which is when I took the picture.
I was gonna say I thought you may have told me this before. That was beyond my recollections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 11:23 AM

237 posts, read 851,637 times
[quote=Boss Rider;12975680]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
Our next watering hole from there was the Running Bear ... my present location is about 30 miles south of Boston.
The funky old Running Bear sat on loop 13 where Mission Road crossed just west of the river. There don't seem to be places like that anymore and that's a dang shame .. Beer & Bait, what more do you need on a sunny weekend?
Meanwhile, Boston is a fer piece from SA but it's apparent that your heart is still here Boss and that's a good thing.

ps; Neat foto Mud and after sharpening it a bit the white T-shirt by the pickup says San Pedro Honda. Where was it shot?

Old 02-21-2010, 12:38 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,864,882 times
[quote=BudB;12981683]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Rider View Post
The funky old Running Bear sat on loop 13 where Mission Road crossed just west of the river. There don't seem to be places like that anymore and that's a dang shame .. Beer & Bait, what more do you need on a sunny weekend?
Meanwhile, Boston is a fer piece from SA but it's apparent that your heart is still here Boss and that's a good thing.

ps; Neat foto Mud and after sharpening it a bit the white T-shirt by the pickup says San Pedro Honda. Where was it shot?
Running Bear is gone and a little two wing strip center has taken it's place. None of you would recognize Military Drive these days. Unless you've kept in contact with it. I'm shocked every time I head down to Brooks. Think they're gonna extend New Braunfels through Brooks and beyond.. possibly to 410.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:13 PM

178 posts, read 459,115 times
Mudpuddle - Graham's Cycle Shop rings a bell with me and the location is in the general area I mentioned visiting a few post back ............but..............I don't remember anything new at all being sold there. I do recall seeing the Mustangs being serviced there. This was about 1960, wonder if he got bigger later on?
I was in Krumm's a couple of times, once with my Dad. Closest I ever got him to letting me buy a bike. I had wrecked my Crusaire by then and Dad didn't like MCs anyway but the Nortons got to the engineer in him and he spent a lot of time examining one. Silly me, I thought he was going to weaken. It took until '72 and being out of the house and school and living on my own before I got another two wheeler - a Honda CB450 from a Honda shop on Broadway.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:22 PM

847 posts, read 2,233,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budb View Post

Ps; neat foto mud and after sharpening it a bit the white t-shirt by the pickup says san pedro honda. Where was it shot?
Bud, the tShirt says San Pedro Honda Triumph. I noted that in my previous posting.
That is where I bought my first new off the showroom floor sickle. in 1966. a green and white Triumph TR6R.

That photo was taken at a dirt race track south of San Antonio around 68-69 (I do believe)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vector28 View Post

Mudpuddle - graham's cycle shop rings a bell with me
and the location is in the general area i mentioned visiting a few post back ......
......but..............i don't remember anything new at all being sold there.
I do recall seeing the mustangs being serviced there.
This was about 1960, wonder if he got bigger later on?
I am apparently a couple years behind you vector.

Graham's was selling new Mustangs around 64 or so.

Reread that other posting of yours,
and your mapping doesn't quite sound like Graham's.

Too bad you didn't get that Norton. They were really fine machines. Still are...........

Old 02-22-2010, 08:51 AM

[quote=satx56;12989508]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
Think they're gonna extend New Braunfels through Brooks and beyond.. possibly to 410.
Alas, it's a done deal and has already begun on Brooks proper. The old bowling alley is already gone plus anything in that path and yes, New Braunfels will connect to 410. The good news is that it will make Hangar 9 Museum more accessible as it remains as the only trace of a once historic flight training center. Legends like Charles Lindbergh, Claire Chennault, and "Tex" Hill spent time at Brooks plus many others. Brooks Field is quickly becoming just a memory after nearly a century of service. Meanwhile Loop 13 becomes a series of strip malls and there can never be too many of them, right? Or as my old comic page hero Pogo Possum once said, "We have met the Enemy and He is Us!"

Old 02-22-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuddle View Post
.Bud, the tShirt says San Pedro Honda Triumph. I noted that in my previous posting.
Gotta get some new glasses I guess.
Meanwhile, about 1970 or so, after saving his money for years, a friend bought a brand new Norton Atlas somewhere in SA while in grad-school at Trinity. Drove it for less than a week then after class early one evening discovered his new Brit-Bike gone for good. Took the insurance cash and got a new Sporster but drove his old pickup to school thereafter.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
My parents moved off of Potranco Rd in 1972. Granted I was very young then, I do remember folks drag racing late at night...or at least heard about it from friends of my parents. They would b*tch and complain and try to not be out on that road after a certain time, but of course back then, we were really back in the "boonies" and sometimes you wouldn't see a car for a very long time.

The STOP sign and blinking red light at Potranco and 1604 (it was like that for years and years) never stopped my friends and I as we were driving back home at Midnight or 1 AM trying to make curfew...there was never any traffic and we just blew through that intersection without even stopping...and that was as late as the early 80s!!
Wasn't off of Talley Rd., was it? Some of my friends at Marshall HS lived off of Talley Rd. I always thought it was a cool place to live. It also qualified them to get special drivers permits that allowed them to drive to and from school.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuddle View Post
I am apparently a couple years behind you vector.
Graham's was selling new Mustangs around 64 or so.
Reread that other posting of yours,
and your mapping doesn't quite sound like Graham's.
Too bad you didn't get that Norton. They were really fine machines. Still are...........
No, I'm sure it was Graham's now. When I read the name in a previous post it was like a light went on. My memory of the route we used is faulty....heck, it was fifty years ago. Half a century, lord, where did the time go? Am I really this old? Reading this thread is slowly forcing old memories to the surface. If Graham's was on El Monte, I can see the probable route we used.

Yeah, it would have been cool to have bought that Norton, cooler still if I still had it. Truth is, I wasn't mature enough to be riding a motorcycle then, and it - and I - would probably not have survived. I rode again for awhile in the 70's, quit and picked it up again in '99 and been riding ever since without incident.

My buddy's family owned and ran a toy store on the west side of Fredericksberg Rd. in Balcones Heights. Can't remember the store's name and cannot say why my friend never talked his folks into carrying some model airplane stuff. Sure would have been a lot closer than riding down to Dibbles. He wasn't too interested in the store as I recall, in fact he, along with me and a couple of others, earned his spending money from paper routes in Glen Oaks.

Near that time I took guitar lessons at Dellview Music Center. My teacher was Don Pack. I can't find Dellview on modern maps anymore but I used to drive over there after I got my license.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:18 PM

136 posts, read 332,085 times
[quote=BudB;13004820]
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post

Meanwhile Loop 13 becomes a series of strip malls and there can never be too many of them, right? Or as my old comic page hero Pogo Possum once said, "We have met the Enemy and He is Us!"
Wife and I drove down the Loop from Goliad to I-35 last week and her comment was it's not just that it's all strip malls, but it's the same stores over and over again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio