Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2010, 08:58 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,136,560 times

Advertisements

Don't forget Phillips 66, Deep Rock, Martin , Hudson and Indian Oil Company.

Remember what the different grades of gasolines were called? Some weren't just Regular and Premium. Phillips had Sixty Six (regular) and Flight Fuel (Premium). Gulf had Gulftane, Good Gulf, and No Nox. Texaco had Fire Chief and Sky Chief. Shamrock had Trail Master and Cloud Master.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 06:28 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,547,026 times
Malibu Gran Prix.. I thought driving the cars was too expensive. I was working but I had two younger brothers who were living with mom and dad. The video game craze was taking off. Everyone was playing Pacman, Space invaders and Asteroids.. My kid brother was addicted to Scramble.. I couldn't believe the crowds. I remember I took off from work one afternoon and we went there and they were unloading this new game--Donkey Kong--It was just too weird--nobody could understand that one!

Old 02-13-2010, 08:20 PM

60 posts, read 208,380 times
Default Johnny Ringos Picture

I was just going through a bunch of old pics that my parents scanned and found this one of Ringo's. I think it is the store that was across from Nimitz Middle School.
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-new-image.jpg  

Old 02-13-2010, 08:39 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,136,560 times
That's definitely the Ringos across from Nimitz. I ate there many times during the 1966-67 school year at Nimitz.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:32 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,695,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1313 View Post
I was just going through a bunch of old pics that my parents scanned and found this one of Ringo's. I think it is the store that was across from Nimitz Middle School.
Great Pic! My Grandmother lived and worked in that area....I remember eatting lots of chili dogs from there. Somehow I remember they always put a lot of onions. I was still eating their bean burgers fries & 1 onion ring plate at the West Ave location up into the early 90's.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:12 AM

22 posts, read 72,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Is there anyone here that knows when they tore down the Woodmen of the World hospital that sat on the hill off Brees and N New Braunfels? It was a fairly large facility. I've seen a postcard of it and it was a wonderful building. I have seen articles where it was in use well into the 60's...possibly 1970? It was in the approximate location of the Tanglewood apartments. Tanglewood had to have been build around 1970 or before....guess I need to go do some research at the library.
It had to be anound 1958 when they tore down the Woodmen of the World Hospital. My little brother and I didn't want to go to church after Sunday School so we would walk home from Alamo Heights Presbyterian. I took some pictures of the bull dozed rubble

Old 02-15-2010, 11:47 AM

237 posts, read 851,637 times
Default Ringo's burgers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1313 View Post
Hope it's okay with you that I tweaked your cool foto of Ringo's burger place. It's a fun hobby that I enjoy and really got a kick out of reading the menu cards with prices for their food. Hope you'll post other snapshots that your folks scanned from back in the day. Bud B
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-ringos.jpg  

Old 02-15-2010, 02:42 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,373,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsasse View Post
It had to be anound 1958 when they tore down the Woodmen of the World Hospital. My little brother and I didn't want to go to church after Sunday School so we would walk home from Alamo Heights Presbyterian. I took some pictures of the bull dozed rubble

1958? gosh...I'm more confused than ever. I have a number of articles that refer to a women's group that met there regularly through the 60's. The only explanation may be that after it was torn down, the WOW moved to another location that is not mentioned in these articles. I'm really trying to find an article that mentions this building being razed. I wish I had a photo of it. It was a beautiful building...and had a long history. I can't imagine it being demolished without notice in the press. This wouldn't be the first however....there are several great buildings that were torn down in the last have of the century that seem to be taken down under the radar.

If I can remember, I'll try to contact someone at the Conservation Society.

Old 02-15-2010, 03:23 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,373,103 times
Thought I'd toss this out there for those interested in Jose Navarro. I think our own Mudpuddle is distantly related to Navarro. This will be hosted by the San Antonio Conservation Society. Non-members are welcome.

Jose Antonio Navarro B-Day Party and SACS General Membership Meeting
Non-members are always welcome!
Host:
San Antonio Conservation Society
Type:
Meetings - Club/Group Meeting
Network:
Global
Date:
Wednesday, February 24, 2010
Time:
10:00am - 12:00pm
Street:
228 S. Laredo Street
City/Town:
San Antonio, TX

View Map
Description
Join us at the 1850s home of the great statesman, Texas patriot and champion of Tejano rights, Jose Antonio Navarro, in celebration of his 215th birthday. UTSA's Dr. Felix Almaraz will give a talk on Jose Antonio Navarro at Washington-on-the-Brazos, and, of course, there'll be birthday cake! Non-members are always welcome to general membership meetings of the San Antonio Conservation Society, and there is no fee to attend.

Call 210-224-6163 for more information.

Old 02-15-2010, 03:25 PM

4,331 posts, read 7,242,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
1958? gosh...I'm more confused than ever. I have a number of articles that refer to a women's group that met there regularly through the 60's. The only explanation may be that after it was torn down, the WOW moved to another location that is not mentioned in these articles. I'm really trying to find an article that mentions this building being razed. I wish I had a photo of it. It was a beautiful building...and had a long history. I can't imagine it being demolished without notice in the press. This wouldn't be the first however....there are several great buildings that were torn down in the last have of the century that seem to be taken down under the radar.

If I can remember, I'll try to contact someone at the Conservation Society.
I did a little research myself, due to my ancestral ties to the hospital, and could find hardly any mention of the hospital in published articles. I did find classified newspaper ads from around April 1959 for salvageable items from the demolition of the hospital building, which was located in the NE quadrant of the current Tanglewood Apartment complex, and apparently closed around 1955-1956.

WOW did continue to hold title to their chapel at that site after the hospital was closed and demolished. Maybe that's where the women's groups met? Some other nearby churches in the area also met there during their formative days until their permanent facilities were constructed. WOW eventually transferred ownership of their chapel (around 1964?) to Sunset Ridge Church of Christ, which had been meeting in a building across Brees Blvd. since about 1950. I've been in that chapel, and I know the Sunset Ridge church has (or had) some history of the chapel, as well as the hospital complex posted on the wall somewhere - it may have been in the foyer of their main worship center.

A bit of trivia: the segment of Brees Blvd. from N. New Braunfels to the chapel was the original main driveway to the hospital complex. It ended in a sort of cul-de-sac. After Terrell Heights was developed, Brees Blvd. was connected to WOW's driveway, which may explain the sub-100 address numbers on that portion of the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio