Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2010, 01:47 PM

178 posts, read 459,115 times

Advertisements

I'm am so surprised that Dibble's is still there. Saw something written about it while reading GBNF I and went to Google maps and looked it up.

Funny, I was thinking the trip from Lyceum to Dibble's was a long pedal, but MS Street & Trips used the same route we rode but makes it out to be less than four miles one way.

Couldn't tell you about any current MC shop. I'm no longer in SA and haven't been much past 1604 for several years. I know the shop we went to wasn't on Fred. Rd. It was on an east/west street a lot or two shy of the corner of West Ave., Vance Jackson, or maybe even Blanco Rd. Hardly bigger than a two car garage with a closet for an office. Guy did small engine, scooter and occasional motorcycle repairs and had a bunch of used and junk parts. Made change from his pocket. Don't recall anything new being displayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Dibble's on Donaldson between Wilson and St.Cloud. Jefferson Village is correct i think. Isn't there still a motorcycle shop in the old station at Babcock and Fred.?? Gy2020 would know Jefferson area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 01:58 PM

68 posts, read 147,685 times
Quote:
Anybody still around that can still remember drag racing - illegally - out on Potranco Rd (FM 1957) ....or another place on the far northside nicknamed "Little Green Valley"
I recall going out Nacogdoches road near a cemetary...there were 1/4 mile lines painted on the road...I am guessing this was back in 78-80 or so....cops rarely did anything but tell you to leave.

Old 02-19-2010, 03:08 PM

178 posts, read 459,115 times
I'm thinking it was Nacogdoches too, but that wasn't "my" part of town so I was kind of turned around every time I was out there. We only ever saw Bexar Co. SD when we hung around too long....and then they just joshed with us and told us to get lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgholt View Post
I recall going out Nacogdoches road near a cemetary...there were 1/4 mile lines painted on the road...I am guessing this was back in 78-80 or so....cops rarely did anything but tell you to leave.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:31 PM

136 posts, read 332,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgholt View Post
In the lated 50's we used to leave the Flame drive in (Later Jim's Frontier) and go down Pleasanton Rd. or 281 South to FM2537. There was a straight, flat 1500 feet in the middle, but you had to be careful of the RR tracks about half way down. Since there were three ways out (back to Pleasanton rd, back to 281 or you could cut up the Martinez road that ran along side the tracks back to Pleasanton rd.) we never worried much about the Sheriff. He did catch a few of us, but we got tickets for disturbing the peace and illegal exhausts. It's all built up now, so you'd never be able to do anything like that any more.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:48 PM

Here's the Flame/Frontier as it is today. Chinese take-out. The horror, the horror.

P1010060.JPG
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-p1010060.jpg  

Old 02-19-2010, 05:55 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,547,026 times
Ok motorcycle shops that I remember. Schoffer Bros. Babcock and Fred. Hog Haus. Blanco and Hildebrand. The Honda dealer just past Schoffer Bros. on Fred next to the DUNKIN DONUTS and the Yamaha place further down that I think used to be the TOP VALUE Stamp redemption place. This was all late seventies. There was a big motorcycle used parts place on Probandt near the flour mills. The Chinese restaurant on 410 and Blanco just below Guajillo's used to sell Vespas. The big Honda dealer Bandera and 410. The Harley Davidson sales and service out by the Quadrangle Mall. The Sears and Monkey Wards catalogues. The sears warehouse out by the New Braunfels railroad tracks that sold parts for their scooters. I can't remember where the Kawasake Dealer was but I think it was near Brackenridge park. There were probably a lot more motorcycle shops around --I have to think!

Old 02-19-2010, 05:57 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,547,026 times
Oh yes How could I forget Krumms Cycles on Bandera!

Old 02-19-2010, 06:08 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,864,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Rider View Post
Here's the Flame/Frontier as it is today. Chinese take-out. The horror, the horror.

P1010060.JPG
Lasses and Goliad. Frontier's were good places. Yep, I miss them BR!! You aren't mixing up the Flame on Military Drive are you ?? Now it's a Mexican Restaurant...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
Ok motorcycle shops that I remember. Schoffer Bros. Babcock and Fred. Hog Haus. Blanco and Hildebrand. The Honda dealer just past Schoffer Bros. on Fred next to the DUNKIN DONUTS and the Yamaha place further down that I think used to be the TOP VALUE Stamp redemption place. This was all late seventies. There was a big motorcycle used parts place on Probandt near the flour mills. The Chinese restaurant on 410 and Blanco just below Guajillo's used to sell Vespas. The big Honda dealer Bandera and 410. The Harley Davidson sales and service out by the Quadrangle Mall. The Sears and Monkey Wards catalogues. The sears warehouse out by the New Braunfels railroad tracks that sold parts for their scooters. I can't remember where the Kawasake Dealer was but I think it was near Brackenridge park. There were probably a lot more motorcycle shops around --I have to think!
Schoffer Bros. that's it. Thanks Dwangle. Back in the 60's Broadway was lined with motorcycle rentals just north of Mulberry! There was a Honda Dealership on S.Presa near Fair Ave.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:16 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,864,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
Oh yes How could I forget Krumms Cycles on Bandera!
I remember Krumm's and Hog Haus!! Don't recall anything on Probandt around Pioneer!! Was it near Joske's warehouse? Probably hidden on east side of the street I'm guessing.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:29 PM

[quote=satx56;12974654]Lasses and Goliad. Frontier's were good places. Yep, I miss them BR!! You aren't mixing up the Flame on Military Drive are you ?? Now it's a Mexican Restaurant...

Nope, no mix up. It was the Flame until '58 or '59 when Jim's bought him out. He took the money and opened the Flame on military in '60, but since we had nowhere but the Frontier to go to for a year, we mostly stayed there. I joined the Navy after I graduated from Highlands in '60, and haven't spent much time in SA since. I was back for my Mom's 90th birthday last week, which is when I took the picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio