Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2011, 10:21 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,843,631 times

Advertisements

Might have - we had the hardware store and the liquor store there - I spent most of my time after school there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 06:50 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,695,312 times
You are all bringing back good memories of what was "the edge of town"...and most people considered Marshall & Clark High schools..."way out in the country".
I can still remember riding in the back of my cousins brand new Cougar (that was a cool car, not a woman in a bar). Listening to Rod Stewart and Foghat! Y'all are making it seem like yesterday.

Speaking of this era...Do all of you remember when the Lubys at I-10 and Wurzbach was "THE PLACE TO EAT!" It was always packed...and always full of doctors from the Med Center. There was always a line out the door. It was funny, that was the trendy place to see and be seen. I remember my parents would run into at least 4-5 people they knew everytime we went.
Back then, we either ate at Luby's, Sizzler, or Mama's. And for fast food...it was only Whopper Burger.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:55 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,050,442 times
Sizzler had the most excellent salad bar! I remember when the Sizzlers became Finkels.... and then the Finkels became nothing....

I used to eat at the Mama's next to Northwest 14 theatre (When it was Northwest 6). It was a good place to take a date before or after catching a movie. I think it's now a Hot Tin Roof place. We went to see True Grit last weekend at the NW 14 because it was dead there. Oddly, there is still a Mama's sign in the movie parking lot right next to the Hot Tin Roof.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:58 AM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,736,736 times
At the time I lived in Shenandoah(built by Morton/Lee and Morton Southwest) in the early 70's, there were no subdivisions beyond that subdivision except for maybe some apt complexes off Huebner. Shenandoah was mostly middle class and Colonies North was where the upper class lived. Both had voluntary HOA's which seemed to be the norm back then. Now those subdivisions that have voluntary HOA dues are struggling to keep their pools, tennis courts and clubhouses open. Many have closed and filled in the pools.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:06 AM

Is the Shenandoah pool still there?

Old 01-27-2011, 09:59 AM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,547,026 times
Does anyone remember "Public Access Television". It was a station on cable that allowed anyone to make a TV show. I went with some friends and took the training course that was offered at the station. We did three shows. A Halloween show, a Christmas show and a Country Western Band show. The Christmas show got a lot of air time because they had very few Holiday shows to broadcast. It was fun to do but I guess it went away when the Internet was established. Does anyone know someone who put on any shows?

Old 01-27-2011, 10:33 AM

I had mutual friends of Dave from The Worst Show.... he mouthed off a lot and made fun of preachers.... and blew things up on the show.

There was a show called A Guy Playing records at 1 in the morning and he played punk rock records. I also remember the belly dancers show....

I remember the Public Access channel. What was your show called?

I think Time Warner decided to drop the channel.

Last edited by HillCountryHotRodMan; 01-27-2011 at 10:45 AM..

Old 01-27-2011, 10:43 AM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,547,026 times
They were puppet shows put on with our kids reading the lines. We would get everybody together at someones house and rehearse it and then go down to the studio and tape it. It was a lot of work. We built sets and puppets and music. The dialog was done live. We all had full time jobs so we never had time to do them on a regular basis. They were well received because they were actual shows, even though they were very low budget. I have them on video tape somewhere.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:44 AM

1,361 posts, read 2,274,441 times
It's been about a year but the last time I went by Shenandoah the pool looked like it wasn't filled in. I should be going that direction when we get back to SA as I relly need to stop into Lockhill Cemetary to "visit" my parents. We moved to Shenandoah when I was almost 2 back in 1969. I agree that I thought Colonies North was the upper-class neighborhood. The city limit sign was before you got to Shenandosh and there was just fields until you got to the Handy Andy on Wurzbach--along the access road. My brother and his friends went "camping" in those fields. I loved walking up to the ice house at the entrance of Shenandoah--still tend to call convenience stores ice houses . I remember the year I was finally old enough to go to the pool by myself someone was abducting kids in a white panel van. We had to have a parent with us at all times that summer and I'm still very aware when I see that type of van now.

As for Luby's my parent's headed straight over there after we got out of church at Castle Hills. We ALWAYS saw someone from church or the neighborhood. Wow, I feel 6 again.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:21 PM

1,066 posts, read 3,695,312 times
For the Shenandoah'ers and Summit & Colonies North People....speaking of camping in the fields around there. Do you remember "The Pond". It was the old stock tank from when the area was cattle/farm land. It was exactly where the present day County Line is. That was so pretty and scarey at times when some hobos would camp out there. I remember people caught some really big fish in there. I wish someone would have taken a photo of all of that.

The area where the Colonade is now was known as 'The Field'....Everyone would go ride their bikes there after school. And it was nice..there were no weeds or johnson grass..it was all nature native grasses with a few truck roads and bike paths.

Lets see if you remember this or maybe it came later toward the late 70's or earlier 80s. Between the Pond and the Shenadoah Pool..there was a little empty lot behind that Hallmark School....and it was a mini dirt bike track.

Like I said earlier...the only fun to be had was the kind you made with your imagination and its only limitation was how far your feet could pedal and make it back for dinner time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio