Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2011, 07:11 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,693,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
There was one at NW Military and Lockhill Selma too. And I believe there was one in the World of Sports at I-10 and De Zavala. That was a long time ago.
Any memories or history from World of Sports?

I remember back in the early 70's it was a reputed drug den. That is where the "tuff" teenagers (usually a white kid with an afro on a skinny skateboard) from Shenandoah Skating Ring graduated to.

My brother and I always wanted to try bowling, but our parents swore that we would never step foot in that "Drug Haven".

I wasnt even allowed to associate with anyone who had been to World of Sports. As soon as my mom found out my friend up the street listened to KISS (the group) and went to the world of sports...I was never allowed to play with him or go to his house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 05:22 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,046,678 times
Well I went to Shenandoah Skate Center and World of Sports but I didn't hang out with the druggers. But, yeah, there were definitely druggers around. It was a choice between that or the devil worshippers at Castle Golf. That was in the 80s, I didn't get to San Anton' until the summer of '79.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:09 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,733,738 times
I lived in Shenandoah in the mid 70's when I was in my early 20's. I don't remember any drugs back then But then I still hung out on the southeast side of town most of the time. Don't think I ever went to the Shenandoah skate center.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
I lived in Shenandoah in the mid 70's when I was in my early 20's. I don't remember any drugs back then But then I still hung out on the southeast side of town most of the time. Don't think I ever went to the Shenandoah skate center.
There weren't any drugs in Shenandoah, just a bunch of pot heads lol. I don't remember any drugs at the Skate Center, just remember in High school plenty of stoned people were from that area... and Babcock North.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:45 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,693,614 times
Times sure have changed, I remember back in the 70's Shenandoah Skate Ring was packed everyday...day or night. The Shenandoah & Colonies North Pools were packed all summer long....now you hardly see anyone there when you drive by in the summertime.
Back then the only fun kids had was the fun you made....so you had to go outside and find something to do. And that included talking to someone, since there wasnt call waiting, most kids werent allowed just to chat hours on end with their friends...so you had ride your bike to their house.

Now all the kids stay inside on the internet and play video games and have multiple channels with cartoons 24/7. (we got 30 minutes a day and about 4 hours on Saturday mornings), and just call or txt their friends instead of going over to a friends house. I am not sure if things are better or worse.....just different.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:46 AM

You're right, times sure have changed! It's fun driving around the old Colonies North area. The pool and clubhouse area looks so old, as I'm sure I have aged as well.

I remember playing baseball in the streets, playing war or Star Wars (remember those cool star wars phaser guns that made the noise when you pulled the trigger?).... riding dirt bikes in the woods (I lived off of Huebner and Lockhill Selma and there was nothing but woods). As we got older we did more daring and dumb stuff.... bottle rocket wars on the street before they outlawed 'em.....

I miss those times.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:01 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,834,325 times
HCHRM...next thing ya know, yer gonna be tellin' me ya went ta Marshall in the 70's....

Old 01-26-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
HCHRM...next thing ya know, yer gonna be tellin' me ya went ta Marshall in the 70's....
No, sir. I went to Clark (go Coogs!), graduated in 85' but I dated a few girls from Marshall. I know, I'm still young(ish) but don't feel that way lately!

Speaking of Marshall - I remember when Texas Star Inn was considered "out in the country" (or at least "further out" ... remember that!?) and the other thing about Marshall is, no matter how much the area has changed - Around The Bend is still there!

Last edited by HillCountryHotRodMan; 01-26-2011 at 02:18 PM..

Old 01-26-2011, 07:55 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,834,325 times
Texas Star Inn - I should say - knew old man Klein back when he owned the place!(my folks owned the Oasis Liquor Store just down the road). He'd come in every Friday and Saturday afternoon to buy ice, always complaining about how much we charged. Dad finally told him one day that if he complained again, he could find someplace else to buy it! He never complained again....

Old 01-26-2011, 08:49 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,272,767 times
TexasRedneck--my brother went to Marshall in the 70's and we lived in Shenandoah. Wonder if y'all hung out!

I myself moved (with parents of course) but would have been class of 85 at Clark. In fact I got invited to their last reunion but missed it due to our move to NC. We're already coming back so I popped over here to the SA forum to get me through my last 3 weeks of homesickness. Funny seeing Shenandoah mentioned!

Going way back to my mother's time--does anyone remember Wolf's Inn? She always called the street HamiltonWolf WolfHamilton because she said that was how they said it when it ran from Wolf's Inn to the Hamilton's place. She said Bluemel like the German name as well instead of Blue - Mel like everyone does now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio