Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2009, 10:25 AM

3,109 posts, read 9,837,531 times

Advertisements

I was chatting with a friend last nitge talking about Mammy's Cafeteria on Donaldson next to Fred. Rd. Epp's Smokehouse was behind it. My girlfriend worked in the cafeteria line while attending SAC in 1961. I used to go and pick her up every nite. Her legs were real tired after standing all shift.

I liked the food there. It was comparable to Luby's. I guess in our time it wouldn't pass the PC test but it was still a great place to eat.

Just across the street was Jefferson Bank, Woodlawn Bowling Lanes and the Woodlawn Theatre. I bowled my first game at the Woodlawn Bowling Lanes. A neighbor and I would go there. It was also his first game. He went on to manage bowling lanes and bowled 300 at least three times. I think my high game was 205.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 03:05 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,294,029 times
Does anybody remember a Chinese restaurant that was downtown called John L's? It was a funky little place that had pictures of all these famous local and national celebreties who had eaten there, including John Wayne. My father used to take me there when I would sometimes go to work with him when I was a teenager. I know it's probably gone now, since I never hear of it, but does anybody have more info on this restaurant? I do remember the owner , John L, drove a Celica that started out new, but everytime I went there it just got more and more beat up.

Based on a 1977 add I found, it was located at 715 Nogalitios.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:36 PM

237 posts, read 851,131 times
Default John L's Cafe

John L's was in business for over fifty years beginning as a mom & pop grocery store in the late 1940s. Owned and operated by John and Dora Leung, the old place finally closed in 2003 when Dora finally called it quits. She had managed it with the help of her son John jr. following John Leung's untimely passing in 1993 to a heart attack. It became a popular place to eat for many of the Spurs team, coaches, and management thru the 1990s and Dora is still a season ticket holder and avid fan. They served everything from Hungarian gulash to homemade tamales, enchiladas, and chili, chicken fried steak to spaghetti with meatballs and was most well known for Dora's wonderful homemade pies. I wrote them up in my book "Chinese Heart of Texas" a few years ago and used this foto then and last year for my new book "San Antonio; Then, Now & Always."Amazon.com: San Antonio: Past, Present, & Always (9780764330407): Mel Brown: Books I spoke to Dora this morning by phone and she's doing fairly well having turned 85 this year. Hope you enjoy the foto as it's them on a good day about 1989 or so.
CHINESE HEART OF TEXAS
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-john-ls-90.jpg  

Last edited by BudB; 07-29-2009 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: new url

Old 07-29-2009, 03:38 PM

While looking up some history on John L's, I found a great article on the Crystal Baking Company. Anybody remember that place? I remember I was eating there with my family right when Hurricane Allen tore through San Antonio. I remember running to the car and the wind litteraly taking my breathe away and feeling like I was about to suffocate!

The restaurant was built to house the antique architecture and art collections of its owner, Joe Friesenhahn. Much of the art was from a french artist called "Mucha". The interior featured the gold-leaf works of Willie Schuller, a San Antonio artist and stained glass from Thomas O' Shaughnessy, who did the stained glass windows for Chicogo's St. Patrick church and Loyola university. It featured both victorian and america art. The back bar was from a 1901 salon called the Blind Pig, from someplace called Beardstown (not sure what state). The front bar was a replica of the back bar, but with a marble bar top that was once wainscotting from an old building in St. Lois called the Old Lagget and Meyers Building.

The two chandliers that still hang in the place are from the Pueblo NM Courthouse. The 10 foot rose window in the ceiling is from an 1906 New York church and other windows are from the original Four Seasons hotel in NY. The glass that seperated the main bar from the restaurant was a collection of glass from buildings in Chicago, St. Louis, and New Orleans. The interior doors that led to the private dinning room were from a French Castle. Sounds like an interesting place. I have been there a few times when it was a seafood restauant, and then a Mad Dog's. I hope whovever buys the place restores some of its old architecture.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
John L's was in business for over fifty years beginning as a mom & pop grocery store in the late 1940s. Owned and operated by John and Dora Leung, the old place finally closed in 2003 when Dora finally called it quits. She had managed it with the help of her son John jr. following John Leung's untimely passing in 1993 to a heart attack. It became a popular place to eat for many of the Spurs team, coaches, and management thru the 1990s and Dora is still a season ticket holder and avid fan. They served everything from Hungarian gulash to homemade tamales, enchiladas, and chili, chicken fried steak to spaghetti with meatballs and was most well known for Dora's wonderful homemade pies. I wrote them up in my book "Chinese Heart of Texas" a few years ago and used this foto then and last year for my new book "San Antonio; Then, Now & Always."Amazon.com: San Antonio: Past, Present, & Always (9780764330407): Mel Brown: Books I spoke to Dora this morning by phone and she's doing fairly well having turned 85 this year. Hope you enjoy the foto as it's them on a good day about 1989 or so. http://home.earthlink.net/~melbjr/chineseheartoftexas/
Thank you!!! I'd rep you but it won't let me yet. The kitchen in the photo is exactly like I remember it!!! (Though a bit cleaner looking)

Old 07-30-2009, 06:15 PM

Location: TX Hill Country-Helotes, Pipe Creek/Lake Hills & San Antonio, TX
844 posts, read 1,625,951 times
Default Crystal Baking Company remembered

That is some interesting history regarding the Crystal Baking Company. I remember that restauant. It was one of my favorites. That was so long ago. I would like to also see it restored. It was a beautiful place to go and have a nice dinner. I sure do miss it!

Old 08-02-2009, 06:34 PM

12 posts, read 38,405 times
no maggies closed awhile back,id guess around 2000 or so.it went down hill sorta,imo to much competition,and also managment changed.it went from being open 24 hours,to closed by midnight or so.its now open but a totally different retaraunt all together.i miss it,i worked there from 94-96,i had some great times there.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:39 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,681,363 times
My dad, who used to work downtown for many years, spoke fondly of John L's all the time.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:03 AM

17 posts, read 50,869 times
This is a great forum. Thanks to all the people that post here. Does anyone remember the Centenos Supermarket on Las Moras on the city's westside? I remember, every Friday my dad would come home from work and we knew to be ready to go grocery shopping. They had a great bakery. I also remember Centeno having several stores throughout the city. Including one on Castroville Road, that for a while had a movie theatre in it. We lived no where close to these stores, but my mom and dad insisted on going all the way over there because of the bakery and the prices. Great memories.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:53 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,432,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy trixter View Post
no maggies closed awhile back,id guess around 2000 or so.it went down hill sorta,imo to much competition,and also managment changed.it went from being open 24 hours,to closed by midnight or so.its now open but a totally different retaraunt all together.i miss it,i worked there from 94-96,i had some great times there.
It closed around 2004, and it was still good the last time I ate there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio