Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2009, 01:05 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,433,488 times

Advertisements

GY great article, I was too young to remember the Toros or Wings, but who can forget the Gunslingers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 01:11 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,825,817 times
I find it hard to believe the Toros time was so long ago. But, as I said Luz Pedraza was coach at Harlandale High in 67' -68' I attended one Wing's game can't remember if it was at Alamo Stadium or where.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:52 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,433,488 times
The Wings only played at Alamo Stadium, its sad how many football teams we have lost.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:56 AM

3,109 posts, read 9,838,690 times
But the Toros were the best and they hung around for 10 years. I believe they could have beat the Oilers in their time. The dang Wings came in and that ended the Toros, but the Wings were only good for one year. Poor trade off. That new league show have used the Toros, then even though the league folded in a year, Toros might have found some one else to play with. The owner always made payroll. Team members never missed a check.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:41 PM

181 posts, read 642,845 times
What happened to the Fajita Junction fast-food places? I used to love that place in the 80's, I think there were a few of them around SA. Good, cheap fajitas to go - I don't even think they had a place to sit down. I used to hit that one near Kirby. Good chow.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:12 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,194,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific_trader View Post
What happened to the Fajita Junction fast-food places? I used to love that place in the 80's, I think there were a few of them around SA. Good, cheap fajitas to go - I don't even think they had a place to sit down. I used to hit that one near Kirby. Good chow.
Out of business along-g-g-g time ago. You're right, they were to go only places. The lobby was just big enough for 5-6 people at one time. The chow was good but the reason they disappeared never did surface.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:26 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,194,708 times
Did some quick searching and found that a a FJ recently opened in Corpus Christi.

They also have a website but there's not much to it right now. They may be back eventually. Check the site periodically:

Welcome to Fajita Junction

Old 09-03-2009, 04:37 PM

181 posts, read 642,845 times
Oh wow, that's cool. Good find!

Old 09-03-2009, 10:34 PM

3 posts, read 9,414 times
Hello All.

I'm so glad I found this Forum. It has brought Back so many memories. Thank you.
I've been spending alot of time reading here the past month or so to catch up!(johnny come lately)

A quick short list for me is the ol' Country Corner restaurant just up 35 at 3009(shertz) where the Valero now sits. There food was always Great. They had those different flavored cinnamon sticks about 6" or so long in glass jars in the front lobby area sort of like cracker barrel has, only it was a little smaller. When we would leave my parents would always let us get one to suck on for the ride home! I always got Root Beer!

The Black cow on San Pedro by my Dads service Station. He used to own a Humble Service Station there on San Pedro across from the Handy Andy? I cant remember which store it was but I remember they had those roller conveyer systems to move your groceries out front to your car.
The Winns on Austin highway.
The Piggly Wiggly on austin Highway which I bothered to lookup and read about on Wiki. This was actually pretty interesting. Piggly Wiggly - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
There was a barber shop in that strip center that I got my first hair cut. The Gibsons on Eisenhauer.
The Steak N ale on Austin Highway later on
And The Swensons on Blanco. They had the 8 scoop Earthquake, which if you could finish the whole thing it was free! And their Bonanza splits with those wafer cookies. Mmmm!

Windsor Park Mall. Thank you for posting those pictures of the inside Smuboy86. My wife worked at the "So Fro Fabrics" next to the Whataburger and then at the chic-fil-a downstairs and when it moved up to the food court. The picture with the Corrigans Jewelers was very special to us since its where I bought her wedding ring! That Mall was part of us. I wish I could find a picture of the chic-fil-a when it was downstairs for my wife. to bad whats happened to the area.

Judson Four Theatre was also a place I'll never forget. At that time my father had since moved on into the Construction Industry.
He knew and worked with Henry Zachry and Quincy Lee. They were early on friends. Anyways, My dad built Judson Four for Quincy Lee who was building it for Louis Braha. My Dad Always spoke so highly of Quincy Lee saying he was a man of his word. And His handshake was his word.

I'll add more Later. Thank you guys for the memories!

Old 09-05-2009, 05:09 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,838,690 times
I was just given this pic by a gentleman that enjoyed my website. I also placed it on my website and my forum. DM for more info. A pic of the Hi-Ho theatre at night. Now my favorite pic. It was taken by the projectionist at the Hi-Ho with a Speed Graphic camera. High quality black and white. Probably taken in late 40's, early 50's.

If you want to see pic, dm me.

Last edited by gy2020; 09-05-2009 at 05:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio