Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2009, 09:55 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,432,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger929 View Post
This is a great forum. Thanks to all the people that post here. Does anyone remember the Centenos Supermarket on Las Moras on the city's westside? I remember, every Friday my dad would come home from work and we knew to be ready to go grocery shopping. They had a great bakery. I also remember Centeno having several stores throughout the city. Including one on Castroville Road, that for a while had a movie theatre in it. We lived no where close to these stores, but my mom and dad insisted on going all the way over there because of the bakery and the prices. Great memories.
Centeno was aewesome, the one on commerical was big.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 05:40 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,732,526 times
The Parkair was located at Goliad/Southcross/Clark Av intersection. The land was apparently tied up for years as the the theatre owners had a 99 year lease on the land. It was torn down and a Globe or Spartans was put there. They actually had a liquor dept too!. Go figure! There was a Parkair icehouse across Clark Ave. El Tipico originally was an El Rancho Mexican restaurant. Floyd's is still there..anybody remember Podnuh's hamburgers on S. Gevers and Hiawatha? Great burgers. inside the place only had 4 or 5 stools.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:24 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,732,526 times
While I'm on the subject...some other SE side stuff...There was a little league on Kite Field where Home Depot is now at Fair and IH37, The little league moved to some fields on Clark and Hammond and eventually moved to Skyline Park next to Highlands HS. Also, Cool Million(now called The Other Woman) was where Charlo's Service station was on Fair Ave. McCreless Village(predates McMcreless Mall) had a pharmacy, Doctor's offices, Piggly Wiggly, Highlander Cafeteria(which later became Teen Town), Fair Lumber Co(owned by the McCreless family), and some other businesses....Also, bars like Comic Strip and Quarter Horse and Two Bits on Goliad Rd. Snoga's BBQ on Goliad used to be Flowers Lumber yard. There was also Goliad Riviera swimming pools on Goliad and Pecan Valley behind the bowling alley. The diving pool had diving boards comparable to Alamo Hts swimming pool. Tall sucker!!

Old 08-07-2009, 11:28 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,314,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Christie's was at 3130 Broadway.
I used to love that place before they remodeled. I guess they sold the business after the tragedy and the new owners remodeled ... the food and atmosphere were never the same after that and I stopped going.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Shakey's Pizza was up on the hill...the building is still there. It's not used commercially for the public but there is some kind of business there. It's directly across from the new Walmart.

Jim's Frontier drive in was my favorite place along there. Then Mickey D's went in next door...about the same location it is right now.

And before Anna's Linens/Goodwill/Chinese Buffet, was the HEB...but prior to that was a Steak and Ale! gosh...that was in the 70's. And I remember parts of the TeePee were still standing for a long time. I'm not sure when the last tee pee standing came down.....most likely when I wasn't living in SA at the time.

If I remember correctly, the Seven Oaks Resort was originally a Sheraton Inn Hotel....but that was in the late 60's. It was about the nicest larger hotel close to Randolph AFB at the time.....apart from the Howard Johnson on I-35 at Randolph BLVD....and up the highway a bit was a large Ramada in...red/orange brick with big white columns and a colonial roof.

Not much along that stretch at all....exept Selma City Hall...when it was actually a CITY HALL....not a HOOTERS! LOL!
The Tee Pee had the best steaks and biscuits in town... also the largest! I miss that place.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:49 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,363,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemeister View Post
The Tee Pee had the best steaks and biscuits in town... also the largest! I miss that place.
Where have you been CookieM???

Old 08-08-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Where have you been CookieM???
I can't keep up the momentum but like to drop in and visit every now and then.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:57 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,293,732 times
Here's a question from the group, back in the early 1980's, there was a mexican restaurant on the corner of Wurzbach and DataPoint. It had a destinctive look, like an old spanish palace. I believe they served authentic mexican food from the mexican interior, not the traditional Tex-Mex. Anybody remember this place?

Old 08-19-2009, 12:37 PM

1,066 posts, read 3,692,981 times
El Palanque or Taco Palanque

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Here's a question from the group, back in the early 1980's, there was a mexican restaurant on the corner of Wurzbach and DataPoint. It had a destinctive look, like an old spanish palace. I believe they served authentic mexican food from the mexican interior, not the traditional Tex-Mex. Anybody remember this place?

Old 08-19-2009, 04:24 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,230,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
El Palanque or Taco Palanque
It was Taco Palenque. It was built in the late 1980's after an office building that was previously used by Datapoint Corporation was purchased and demolished. Taco Palenque was destroyed by a fire in the early 1990s. A Taco Bell was built after the remains of the Taco Palenque building were torn down.

But there was also a very ornate mexican restaurant that was built a couple of years earlier on the lot in between Taco Palenque and Wendy's. I don't recall the name right offhand, but I remember it took a long time to build -- the better part of a year, I think. I believe it only lasted a couple of years before it closed. It was later torn down, and an El Pollo Loco was built there. Later, it became a Jack-in-the-Box, which was still there last time I drove down that stretch of road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio