Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2009, 11:36 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,432,346 times

Advertisements

Those doors look like broad street, but I could be wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 07:46 PM

17 posts, read 50,869 times
Hi everyone! I just wanted you to know that I ran into this thread about a week ago and have really enjoyed reading all of your posts. I am a native of San Antonio and have lived here all of my 45 years. I grew up on the Southast side of town. I went to Kindergarten at Riverside Baptist Church, ta the corner of Presa and Topeka, first grade thru third at Riverside Elementary on School treet, between Roosevelt and Presa. We then moved over off of Pecan Valley and Goliad Road and I went to Inez Foster, Connell Jr. High and then Highlands High School. I remember all the places mentioned in your posts and reading them has made me realize how much of what we took for granted is now gone and will never return. I remember shopping at Piggly Wiggly on the corner of Pecan Valley and Goliad Rd. It then became a Mega Warehouse and now is an O'Riely's Auto Parts store. Across Pecan Valley was Deluxe Supermarket and a Winns in the same strip, along with Eddies Barber Shop. I used to have my hair cut there and remember having it cut by a man that had served in the US Army as a barber. He used to tell that he had cut Harry Truman's hair while in service and he had a picture and a signed dollar bill to prove it. Eddie's is still there. I was on that side of town about 2 months ago and got my hair cut by Eddie himself. He has also cut my kids hair as well as my dad's. I sure miss the Winn's Stores. I could spend an hour shopping with a quarter, and usually eanded up with a pack of those hot cinnamon flavored toothpicks and a marathon andy bar. Of course, you also had to have an icee when you visited Winns. I have just about caught up to these last posts, but I find myself going back and re-reading a lot of them and really enjoy the picture that have been posted. Please keep it up, it's great reading and takes the mind back in time.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:00 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,294,029 times
I've spent a lot of time trying to research the old Smuggler's Inn restaurant chain. I think other's on the original GBNFSA thread posted a few memories of this place and I remember loving the cool architecture as a kid and seeing them in various cities when driving between San Antonio and Los Angeles.

I did find a few reviews in local Newspaper's (Not very favorable, actually. Probably why they went out of business), but could find nothing regarding the history of the chain. Today I caught a lucky break. I came across a new article from 1973 in Denver that mentions it was owned by Associated Hosts of California, who owned 62 restaurants and 3 hotels. Did a little more research and found the attache stock certificate and little bit more about the history:

"Associated Hosts, Inc. operated national restaurant chains including the (sic)from Bombay Bicycle Club, Julie's Place, a steakhouse concept based in Tallahassee and Wildcat Brewery, which is based in Indianapolis."

Now that I got a break, I'll post more of what I find here later.
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-scripophily_2062_267297365.jpg  

Old 07-22-2009, 03:54 PM

Ok, got a little more info now. They were a company that owned several line of business restaurant chains. For most of their history, they operated only in California, but in 1969 started to expand across the southwest as far as Amarillo and El Paso.

They essentially created their own restaurant lines from scratch, each one falling under a specific theme: Gourmet, Victorian, Nautical, New Orleans, and Contemporary.

Smuggler's Inn was not, actually, their Nautical themed restaurant. Smuggler's Inn fell under the Gourmet theme, along with Diamond Jim's, Florabelle, Laffite's, Century House and Bently's. Eventually, they created the Bombay Bicycle Company restaurant, which I remember the Smuggler's Inn here was converted to after it closed.

At one time Kmart tried to buy them out in an effor to diversify their revenue, but talks fell through. Looks like in 1986 a Japanesse company started to buy significant shares of the company, but I can't find any entries yet that tell the ultimate fate of this restaurant company.

Looks like the only remnent of this chain is the Bombay Bicycle Club, but I can find no history of their's on the net, and they don't have a website.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:59 PM

1,066 posts, read 3,693,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post

Looks like the only remnent of this chain is the Bombay Bicycle Club, but I can find no history of their's on the net, and they don't have a website.
I would be curious to hear the history of Bombay Bicycle Club. I know the location by the Zoo, has been operating there for decades. My family has been in the produce business for generations, and I can remember my grandfather mentioning they were a customer as early as the 40's or 50's. And the place smells like it hasn't been cleaned since then.

FYI- I believe the second location on Fredericksburg has closed down/changed names.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:13 AM

17 posts, read 50,869 times
I was thinking about some of the locations that have been mentioned. I remember my father taking be out Goliad Road, past SE Military Dr. to teach me to drive. I learned to drive in a 1969 Ford Fairlane, 3 speed on the column. That was the first car my father ever bought new. Cost him $3900 or so. There was nothing out there at all. Woods on both sides. Then in the early 80's Tex-Pack Trucking Company was the first to set up out there. The area has expanded and changed so much, that you wouldn't recognize the area if you haven't been out there in a while. I want to thank all of the posters on this forum for all the great information you've shared.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:05 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,364,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
I would be curious to hear the history of Bombay Bicycle Club. I know the location by the Zoo, has been operating there for decades. My family has been in the produce business for generations, and I can remember my grandfather mentioning they were a customer as early as the 40's or 50's. And the place smells like it hasn't been cleaned since then.

FYI- I believe the second location on Fredericksburg has closed down/changed names.
I remember going to the Bombay Bicycle Club in the 70's....and I also thought it had been around for a long time.

I did a quick search and there were numerous Bombay Bicycle Clubs springing up in the 60's...mostly in California. (different proprietors...possibly a chain, however. I just quickly scanned a few.)

Then I ran across this excerpt in the SA Express - Feb 23 1974 under notices
Quote:
"Veteran Club Operator Felix Stehling, who's Poco Loco was the second night spot to open on the Paseo del Rio, has opened another "off river" bar. It is called the "Bombay Bicycle Club" for no particular reason."
We also frequented "Hipp's" and "Little Hipp's" back then...which really had been around for decades. It makes me wonder if I mixed them up.

I also ran across this history on the authentic Bombay Bicycle Club which dates back centuries and is still very active. (If you google the BBC now, you'll get tons of info on the band of the same name).

Just assuming here, but the British invasion in the 60's that carried over into the 70's probably inspired a lot of these "pub" type venues. Remember the "fish n chips" place in Winsor Mall (can't remember the name), Steak and Ale,
The Sheraton Inn Pub? (just to name a few in SA)...

Here's the link to the official BBC----> Bombay Bicycle Club Homepage

Old 07-23-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
I remember going to the Bombay Bicycle Club in the 70's....and I also thought it had been around for a long time.

I did a quick search and there were numerous Bombay Bicycle Clubs springing up in the 60's...mostly in California. (different proprietors...possibly a chain, however. I just quickly scanned a few.)

Then I ran across this excerpt in the SA Express - Feb 23 1974 under notices

We also frequented "Hipp's" and "Little Hipp's" back then...which really had been around for decades. It makes me wonder if I mixed them up.

I also ran across this history on the authentic Bombay Bicycle Club which dates back centuries and is still very active. (If you google the BBC now, you'll get tons of info on the band of the same name).

Just assuming here, but the British invasion in the 60's that carried over into the 70's probably inspired a lot of these "pub" type venues. Remember the "fish n chips" place in Winsor Mall (can't remember the name), Steak and Ale,
The Sheraton Inn Pub? (just to name a few in SA)...

Here's the link to the official BBC----> Bombay Bicycle Club Homepage
What does this mean:
"The special appearance by Janice Joplin is now up in the air. Britney Spears was not able to be reached for our last meeting so we are moving her up to this one. Comments from our membership are solicited, whether to schedule Britney Spears or Janice Joplin."

Are they serious?

Old 07-23-2009, 04:12 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,364,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
What does this mean:
"The special appearance by Janice Joplin is now up in the air. Britney Spears was not able to be reached for our last meeting so we are moving her up to this one. Comments from our membership are solicited, whether to schedule Britney Spears or Janice Joplin."

Are they serious?
Crazy bunch, huh?

Old 07-23-2009, 09:09 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,193,522 times
Where'd they "dig" her up from ???? (sorry )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio