Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2011, 05:23 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Here is something for all the GBNF posters who may have the showtime movie channel, they have been showing Viva Max which was filmed mostly in SA. It has great views of Houston St, Alamo Plaza, and other parts of SA. Not sure the showing but saw it a few days ago and great to see SA in the past.
If you have access to Showtime, you might want to try to catch Viva Max. The movie was released on VHS a number of years ago, & is now out of print, but has never been "officially" released on a Region 1 DVD (USA), to the best of my knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 02:56 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,736,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
The JC Penney in Terrell Plaza actually closed in 1986. I think Dick's also closed sometime during the 1980s.
Thanks for the correction. Back in '86 I got my first car. I remember driving by Walzem Rd. near the shopping center that had the old Woolco. I saw a J.C. Penney Clearance outlet. I guess the remnats of The J.C. Penney in Terrell Plaza were liquidated there.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:07 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,736,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nix54 View Post
Christies! That was the restaurant Mom & Dad would take my brother & I for special celebrations in the 60's. I always knew where we were having dinner on my birthday!
We lived on Nolan street on the eastside. The drive to Christies would take us through Fort Sam, around by the well lit Playland Park and down Broadway.

Always a great sign was the neon fish moving on the fry pan. We'd park in their shady parking lot. Cloth napkins & table cloths. Plenty of saltines, club crackers, melba toast & butter while you waited for your meal.

My favorite Christies dish was the vela cutlet.

Thanks Mom & Dad.
You sure brought back a lot of memories. I last ate at Christie's back in '95. The Buccaneer Platter was my favorite. We usually went there to celebrate a family member's birthday.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:12 PM

5 posts, read 7,259 times
Has anyone, you would have to be boomer age, mentioned (and memory may be a bit off here) Electric Light and Sound? It was on San Pedro, near or right at where Maggies went in, and was quite a place. You could hang out and watch music videos/taped concerts all under the black lights and/or strobe lights. They also had private rooms where you could take an 8 track tape in with you and play your own music. Well, truth be told, it was also where you could play with your date. lol Big pillows to lay on. I never did hear they got busted for that or allowing smoking of non regulated or taxed tobacco products.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:03 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,543,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX6903 View Post
Has anyone, you would have to be boomer age, mentioned (and memory may be a bit off here) Electric Light and Sound? It was on San Pedro, near or right at where Maggies went in, and was quite a place. You could hang out and watch music videos/taped concerts all under the black lights and/or strobe lights. They also had private rooms where you could take an 8 track tape in with you and play your own music. Well, truth be told, it was also where you could play with your date. lol Big pillows to lay on. I never did hear they got busted for that or allowing smoking of non regulated or taxed tobacco products.
Yes! I remember it but I never went. It was sort of a massage parlor for dopers! The hemisfair arena had it beat by a mile!

Old 05-03-2011, 12:55 PM

62 posts, read 149,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Attached is an ad from the opening of the first Shakey's Pizza here in San Antonio, it was the one on San Pedro. I love these old ads, modern advertisements just seem so sterile in comparison. Reading the text, I want to get there right now!!!
When was that?

Old 05-04-2011, 06:26 AM

38 posts, read 87,164 times
Hi...talking about the Viva Max movie, does anybody know of any other movies that were filmed here in San Antonio, back in the 1960's?

Old 05-04-2011, 03:35 PM

I bet 90 percent of the families who lived in San Antonio in the sixties have home movies of Hemisfair. I know my mom and dad do. Especially films of those indian women who swung around on that pole topless.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:28 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,731,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
I bet 90 percent of the families who lived in San Antonio in the sixties have home movies of Hemisfair. I know my mom and dad do. Especially films of those indian women who swung around on that pole topless.
After a few performances, didn't they cover up? Or did they fight the topless battle based on it being part of the performance? I can't remember, but it seems like this was big issue back then....

Old 05-04-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
After a few performances, didn't they cover up? Or did they fight the topless battle based on it being part of the performance? I can't remember, but it seems like this was big issue back then....
I don't know if they covered up or not. They were topless when I saw them. It was like looking at National Geographic Magazine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio