Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2011, 08:19 PM

3 posts, read 6,592 times

Advertisements

Thanks a lot for the update Homeslice! I know it would be very nieve to think that a neighborhood would not go through extensive changes in 30 years, especially on the northwest side, where things still seem to be growing so quickly....but never in my wildest dreams would I think Deer Run would be considered "rough"

I noticed those folks are now zoned for Holmes High School??? When did that happen? Can't imagine that went over very well. I'm still amazed that NISD has what....9 high schools?!? When did NISD start needing alternative schools? I guess it's an invitable aspect of growth.

How has Ingram Park Mall fared through the years? It used to be anchored by Sears, JC Penney, Dillards and Joske's. Despite Ingram being "our" mall, I always enjoyed North Star with the I think ahead of it's time food court. Mom would always get us 1 slice of pizza and one of those fried breaded things for desert. Seemed like North Star was the only place to get one of those

Thanks again for all the memories everyone!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 09:53 PM

18 posts, read 30,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxboy View Post
Thanks a lot for the update Homeslice! I know it would be very nieve to think that a neighborhood would not go through extensive changes in 30 years, especially on the northwest side, where things still seem to be growing so quickly....but never in my wildest dreams would I think Deer Run would be considered "rough"

I noticed those folks are now zoned for Holmes High School??? When did that happen? Can't imagine that went over very well. I'm still amazed that NISD has what....9 high schools?!? When did NISD start needing alternative schools? I guess it's an invitable aspect of growth.

How has Ingram Park Mall fared through the years? It used to be anchored by Sears, JC Penney, Dillards and Joske's. Despite Ingram being "our" mall, I always enjoyed North Star with the I think ahead of it's time food court. Mom would always get us 1 slice of pizza and one of those fried breaded things for desert. Seemed like North Star was the only place to get one of those

Holmes high school is now a magnet school. I think it is the arts magnet for NISD. Each school in the district is becoming a magnet with one specific academic focus...which -- I think -- is a very sad development. There's also a Health Career high school, called Health Career HS.

As for Ingram Park Mall, it has not fared well. I worked there in '83/'84 when Joskes was still on the scene and the mall was still decent. That area has become more heavily populated by first generation immigrant families. Plus with LaCantera and some of the other new ultra glamorous shopping destinations, even North Star Mall doesn't shine. The area where North Star is is considered by many to be almost the inner city, if you can believe that. The mall still puts on airs, but its heyday is way in the rear view mirror. I was there last night and was shocked by the demographic mix there.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:06 PM

Default re: the Target at Bandera/410

One reason that Target is closed is because the huge Super Target exists at Crossroads Mall (recently renamed to "Wonderland of the Americas" Mall). This Target puts the old type of Target to shame. I love Target, but joined the boycott about a year ago and haven't shopped there since.

Old 07-02-2011, 03:00 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,547,026 times
To Borrow a quote from Yogi Berra: Nobody goes to shopping malls. They are alway's too crowded

Old 07-03-2011, 10:50 AM

7 posts, read 12,219 times
Quote:
I think it was zoned for Warren at a time (opened in 2004), and before that, likely Taft (opened 1985).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKiki1019 View Post
Holmes high school is now a magnet school. I think it is the arts magnet for NISD. Each school in the district is becoming a magnet with one specific academic focus...which -- I think -- is a very sad development. There's also a Health Career high school, called Health Career HS.
I'm not quite sure you have a full concept of what magnet high schools are, Kiki. The NISD high schools, as they are now, are:

Marshall (opened 40's)
Holmes (64)
Jay (67)
Clark (77)
Health Careers (85)
Taft (85)
OConnor (98)
Warren (02)
Stevens (05)
Brandeis (08)
Brennan (10)

On those some of these campuses, there are magnet high schools, which have a focus on a certain area. They can be attended by any student in NISD who chooses to, or out of district with a tuition. Students must apply, and be accepted to these schools, and are expected to maintain a minimum grade level. In your freshman and sophomore years, you take classes at the host high school, and your own, while the upper level classes are mostly your magnet school. The magnets are:

Business Careers High School (on Holmes campus)
Communication Arts High (on Taft campus)
Construction Careers Academy (Warren campus)
Health Careers (Stand-alone)
Science and Engineering Academy (Jay campus)

Another large program that should be a magnet school, but isn't, is the Agriculture Science program at OConnor.

All of the timeline info came from: History : Northside Independent School District - San Antonio, TX 78238

Also, full disclosure, I'm an 06 graduate of Taft. :P

Old 07-03-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeslice60148 View Post
I think it was zoned for Warren at a time (opened in 2004), and before that, likely Taft (opened 1985).

I'm not quite sure you have a full concept of what magnet high schools are, Kiki. The NISD high schools, as they are now, are:

Marshall (opened 40's)
Holmes (64)
Jay (67)
Clark (77)
Health Careers (85)
Taft (85)
OConnor (98)
Warren (02)
Stevens (05)
Brandeis (08)
Brennan (10)

On those some of these campuses, there are magnet high schools, which have a focus on a certain area. They can be attended by any student in NISD who chooses to, or out of district with a tuition. Students must apply, and be accepted to these schools, and are expected to maintain a minimum grade level. In your freshman and sophomore years, you take classes at the host high school, and your own, while the upper level classes are mostly your magnet school. The magnets are:

Business Careers High School (on Holmes campus)
Communication Arts High (on Taft campus)
Construction Careers Academy (Warren campus)
Health Careers (Stand-alone)
Science and Engineering Academy (Jay campus)

Another large program that should be a magnet school, but isn't, is the Agriculture Science program at OConnor.

All of the timeline info came from: History : Northside Independent School District - San Antonio, TX 78238

Also, full disclosure, I'm an 06 graduate of Taft. :P
Cool...thanks for the update.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:07 PM

Default Pick-a-Pop

Anyone remember the old "Pick-a-Pop" store on Fredericksburg Road? I think it was a local outfit and I'm pretty sure there was only one location...maybe two. You could go in and put together, 6-packs, 12-packs or cases of different flavored colas -- mix and match.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:17 AM

60 posts, read 208,380 times
Yep.. forgot all about Pic a Pop. You would grab a plastic bottle tray and they walk around and choose your flavors in glass bottles. I think the trays would hold a lot of bottles- maybe 42 or 48 of them.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:27 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,298,142 times
Quote:

I think you mean the Churros, that were also known as cinimon stix from the place in North Star with the animatronix elves. I think it was called Whimsey Works.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:28 PM

16 posts, read 51,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKiki1019 View Post
Anyone remember the old "Pick-a-Pop" store on Fredericksburg Road? I think it was a local outfit and I'm pretty sure there was only one location...maybe two. You could go in and put together, 6-packs, 12-packs or cases of different flavored colas -- mix and match.
I completely remember Pic A Pop. I thought that place was awesome when I was little. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio