Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2010, 11:51 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,547,026 times

Advertisements

I forgot about the straight edge..I can steeeele feel it..I remember the powder and the super bubble bubble gum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 01:00 AM

262 posts, read 911,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachuco2 View Post
I remember going to a barber shop when i was a kid (1963) on the east side on Nolan street called Tiny's,..allways nipped my ear.
Ooooops! Tiny's was my dad's barber shop.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie Pie View Post
Nix, can you recall the name of that bakery? Could it have been Dietzel's? If so, that was owned by my now desceased Grandparents in law. Two of the best old German bakers, cooks, and people you could ever hope to meet!!!
I can't recall the name, but it was a Mexican bakery. I don't remember Dietzel's but then again I may have been too young when they were there.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
Oh dang I can't even remember where I used to get my hair butchered in San Antonio. Was there a barber shop at Colonies Mall? I just remember how the men who went there and the barbers talked about how America has gone to hell in a handbasket and I was too young to understand. I do now...
In the early 60's I would shine shoes at my dad's barber shop on Nolan street. As the customer was getting clipped I sat at his footsteps on a stool that also held his shoe. Dad would pick daily news topics and talk to the customers about them. The same topics would pop up with the different customers and I could almost repeat from memory what dad would say next.

Some topics of the day were.... " How about that Billy Sol Estes.... George Wallace just might have a chance for the presidency..... what do you think of LBJ's Great Society?..... damn hippies are ruining my business.... Henry B is going to be the first Mexican American elected to Congress, they should just nuke Cuba, the whole southside is torn down because of urban renewal and that world's fair."

Customers would always give their opinion and somehow dad would always agree with them. Smart guy, he wanted them as loyal customers.

After completion of the haircut and shoes shined, dad & I would get a tip!

Old 06-10-2010, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nix54 View Post
In the early 60's I would shine shoes at my dad's barber shop on Nolan street. As the customer was getting clipped I sat at his footsteps on a stool that also held his shoe. Dad would pick daily news topics and talk to the customers about them. The same topics would pop up with the different customers and I could almost repeat from memory what dad would say next.

Some topics of the day were.... " How about that Billy Sol Estes.... George Wallace just might have a chance for the presidency..... what do you think of LBJ's Great Society?..... damn hippies are ruining my business.... Henry B is going to be the first Mexican American elected to Congress, they should just nuke Cuba, the whole southside is torn down because of urban renewal and that world's fair."

Customers would always give their opinion and somehow dad would always agree with them. Smart guy, he wanted them as loyal customers.

After completion of the haircut and shoes shined, dad & I would get a tip!
In the late 90's I did get to meet old Billy Sol Estes through a mutual friend. Billy Sol has the gift of gab. He autographed me one of his books and in the Billy Sol style told me.... Ricky we just can't keep my book on the shelves, people are buying them like hot cakes." Typical Billy Sol.

Billy Sol once a confidante to LBJ is now living life in the slow lane in Brady, Texas.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:36 PM

237 posts, read 851,637 times
Default Clarence's Barber Shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
Barbers: went to Mr Best and Eddie originally located in the barber shop in the strip center at Fair/Goliad/Gevers.
For many years my hair was cut every two weeks at Clarence's Barber shop owned by Mr. Clarence Proffit. First he was on Gevers at Denver in a small strip then he moved a few blocks down to New Braunfels next to the strip between Essex and Westfall that had a Piggly-Wiggly, a Winns, a bakery and Seiberts Pharmacy. Clarence was also my Sunday School teacher at Baptist Temple about 1960 or so. He was always nice to us boys and gave good haircuts, etc. Sometimes in high school I would save most of my hair cut money for other things by going to a barber college.They were inconsistent and by '65 decided hair cuts were no longer necessary. By 1966 I was at UT in Austin and getting along without haircuts totally, likewise by 1972 after returning to SA for a job.
Then about 1979 or '80 after I'd married and moved to Austin permanently, I happened to be in SA and saw Mr. Proffit on the noonday news. He was looking for work at the Texas Employment Office downtown and talked about how times had gotten tough for barbers because of the hippies, and "unisex hair salons", etc.; that really made me sad. Then in May 1981 my granddad passed away and Mr. Proffit came to the funeral since he too was a church deacon. He had begun another business, tho I do not recall what it was, and I guess was doing ok; he was a good man and solid citizen. He had a son and daughter who attended Sam Houston in the '60s tho I cannot recall their names. Hope this isn't too personal but it's good to remember the positive adults from childhood.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:39 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,736,736 times
Baptist Temple...Was Rev. White there at the time? One of his sons was a friend of mine in the mid to late sixties and early seventies....

Last edited by RGJ; 06-10-2010 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 06-10-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
For many years my hair was cut every two weeks at Clarence's Barber shop owned by Mr. Clarence Proffit. First he was on Gevers at Denver in a small strip then he moved a few blocks down to New Braunfels next to the strip between Essex and Westfall that had a Piggly-Wiggly, a Winns, a bakery and Seiberts Pharmacy. Clarence was also my Sunday School teacher at Baptist Temple about 1960 or so. He was always nice to us boys and gave good haircuts, etc. Sometimes in high school I would save most of my hair cut money for other things by going to a barber college.They were inconsistent and by '65 decided hair cuts were no longer necessary. By 1966 I was at UT in Austin and getting along without haircuts totally, likewise by 1972 after returning to SA for a job.
Then about 1979 or '80 after I'd married and moved to Austin permanently, I happened to be in SA and saw Mr. Proffit on the noonday news. He was looking for work at the Texas Employment Office downtown and talked about how times had gotten tough for barbers because of the hippies, and "unisex hair salons", etc.; that really made me sad. Then in May 1981 my granddad passed away and Mr. Proffit came to the funeral since he too was a church deacon. He had begun another business, tho I do not recall what it was, and I guess was doing ok; he was a good man and solid citizen. He had a son and daughter who attended Sam Houston in the '60s tho I cannot recall their names. Hope this isn't too personal but it's good to remember the positive adults from childhood.

Barbers were like bartenders & psychiatrists, you could tell them anything and walk away from the chair feeling better. Sitting on the chair was exclusively your time with him.

Does anyone remember the name of the barber college that was like in back of San Fernando Cathedral? I think it was on Flores street in an old 2 story brick building. Thats where my dad went to school. I remember going in with him after he became a barber, cause dad used to sharpen their blades, scissors & clippers in his barbershop and deliver them. My dad's name was Joe Melendrez.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:35 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,136,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
I regularly went to the Barber Shop on West Ave. in the same shopping center as Buy-Rite Super Market. The owner's name was Frank, and he was a heck of a nice guy. He had a few assistants over the years, including a lady barber! She gave good haircuts, but i was glad when she left, because the men in the shop watched their language and stories around her, and it wasn't as fun for me to listen while I waited! He also had a very rotund barber for a while, who was also a disc jockey known as Charlie Big.

That center on West Ave faced Lively, Trudell, and Cherry Ridge across the street.. The Texan Ice House (which is still there) was right next door.

I remember the first time they put lather around my ears and shaved it with a straight edge. I felt like I became a man that day!
http://www.sanantonioradiomemories.com/shave.htm (broken link)

Here's a picture of Charlie Big, with Bruce Hathaway, and George Lester. Charlie Big was the first barber to use the lather and straight edge on me! His real name was Charles Barnes.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:13 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,436,948 times
So what year did HEB on wurzbach and ih 10 open? Was handy andy there first?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio