Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2010, 07:31 PM

4,326 posts, read 7,234,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
I remember the HEB and there was a Revco drug store next door, remember the shops on colony that i think included the BBQ hut?
Hickory Hut. It was there for many years, at least as far back as the late 1960s. It closed when the HEB expansion swallowed that property.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Question i want to ask, when did the last Sommers drug store close here in SA? Anyone know which one it was.
Sommers locations began rapidly disappearing in the early 1980s, and were pretty much all gone by the mid 1980s, except for the location in the Nix Professional Building. That location survived at least a few more years, I'm guessing until maybe the 1990s?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 07:51 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,133,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Hickory Hut. It was there for many years, at least as far back as the late 1960s. It closed when the HEB expansion swallowed that property.

Sommers locations began rapidly disappearing in the early 1980s, and were pretty much all gone by the mid 1980s, except for the location in the Nix Professional Building. That location survived at least a few more years, I'm guessing until maybe the 1990s?

When HEB expanded, two gas stations went kaput, too. A Chevron (formerly Gulf0 on the corner of Wurzbach and 10, and a Phillips 66. Next to the Hickory Hut was a veterinarian's office that relocated to Huebner Road.

Ddin't Skillerns take over from Sommers?

Old 06-06-2010, 08:27 PM

4,326 posts, read 7,234,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
Ddin't Skillerns take over from Sommers?
Possibly at some locations, but I think most of them either became Eckerd or Revco. The only Skillerns locations in San Antonio I was familiar with opened up in the 1970s at locations that were not previously drug stores.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:04 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,294,983 times
Quote:

Hickory Hut is still around, or at least was a few years ago, the family maintains one location in Helotes. I don't know if they moved when the HEB expanded, or if they already had another location there in Helotes.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:47 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,433,488 times
Quote:

Man i was trying hard to remember the name.

It's sad how we lost those, then Revco a few years later.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:12 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,294,983 times
My mom used to work in that Sommer's. If I remember correctly, Sommer's was bought by Revco, then Revco merged with Eckerd's (I think). There was already an Eckerd's at the HEB behind Colonies Mall, so I think they closed down the Colonies North location since the other location was closer to the highway and had more traffic.

Now for some bonus points, does anybody remember when the old HEB building behind Colonies was built? I remember in the same building as the HEB, which faced Wurzbach, not I-10, was the Eckerd's and a women's clothing shop called Michael's (no relation to the hobby shop). For a few years, there was actually another building in the parking lot of the HEB. If you were facing the HEB from the Wurzbach entrance, there was a stand alone strip-like center to the left of the entrance and had about 3 stores in it. One of the stores was a Radio Shack, I think. It was only there for a few years, then they tore it down.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:06 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,693,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
My mom used to work in that Sommer's. If I remember correctly, Sommer's was bought by Revco, then Revco merged with Eckerd's (I think). There was already an Eckerd's at the HEB behind Colonies Mall, so I think they closed down the Colonies North location since the other location was closer to the highway and had more traffic.

Now for some bonus points, does anybody remember when the old HEB building behind Colonies was built? I remember in the same building as the HEB, which faced Wurzbach, not I-10, was the Eckerd's and a women's clothing shop called Michael's (no relation to the hobby shop). For a few years, there was actually another building in the parking lot of the HEB. If you were facing the HEB from the Wurzbach entrance, there was a stand alone strip-like center to the left of the entrance and had about 3 stores in it. One of the stores was a Radio Shack, I think. It was only there for a few years, then they tore it down.
I want to clarify...that Hickory Hut was separate from Colonies North Mall. It was in its own building, behind it and behind the HEB. My parents moved into Colonies North in 1968..Wurzbach was a dirt road...they have always said that Hickory Hut "had always been there"

Drug Stores...I believe the drug store Next to the HEB was originally a Skillerens..and then an Eckards.

Next to the Radio Shack was the Colonies North Shoe Repair which later moved next to the Hickory Hut and then to Oak Gate (corner of Wurzbach & Vance Jackson). And dont forget Whopper Burger was also in the HEB parking lot at the very corner of I-10 & Wurzbach. I wish someone had a photo of that parking lot

Old 06-09-2010, 08:46 AM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,733,738 times
I remember all this now that my memory has been jogged. Hickory Hut had pretty good BBQ if I remember right. I moved to Shenandoah subdivision in the early 70's. It was the furtherest subdivision out IH10 at the time.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:11 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,046,678 times
Hickory Hut in Helotes has been closed for years. It has since been another restaurant and is now becoming a bar and grill. I talked to a member of the Helotes Historical society and he told me that the family is not interested in bringing it back.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:33 AM

178 posts, read 458,893 times
I'm thinking that HH catered one of my John Marshall reunions many years ago, and that the fellow running the show was also a JMHS grad although many years younger than than my fellow grads. Met him briefly but can't remember the name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio