Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2012, 09:28 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,436,948 times

Advertisements

In that news 4 picture, it was taken at the Dunkin Doughnuts on San Pedro and Cypress. There is now a sonic there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 11:12 PM

4 posts, read 11,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
I had a cousin that owned the Diamond store and the land where the film was made. His name was Fentress Laidley and his wife was Leila. She was in the movie. She was the lady in the rocking chair in the store. (this is in reference to "Race with the Devil".)
Thanks for letting my know, gy2020. The woman in the rocking chair just added perfectly to the atmosphere in that scene. In the DVD audio commentary, the producer even refers to her briefly. That's pretty neat that you're related to her.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:49 AM

4 posts, read 11,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
My Uncle David was in Race With The Devil. He was playing steel guitar inside Arkey Blues in the movie. He told me where the campsite scene was shot, but I can't remember at the moment...believe it was somewhere around Utopia. Weird movie....Loretta Swit from M*A*S*H was in it...very young then. Peter Fonda was in it too..after his Easy Rider days.
txtea, thank you for sharing that. The Race with the Devil producer actually mentions your uncle on the DVD commentary during that bar scene. (And, somebody on IMdB thought he was Harvey Keitel. )

If you ever think of the filming location, I'd love to know. Thanks again!

Old 07-16-2012, 04:38 AM

847 posts, read 2,233,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post

In my early college days. Luthers kept me alive with Red Eye Stew. It was fabulous and it was cheap. I guess the people capacity in there was maybe 5 at the time. Most of the college kids just got their goods and left. If it was still open, I'd probably still be a customer.
Yeah, the car is a 58. The girl in the passenger seat front looks like one of the girls on some of Jim's restaurants wallpaper showing old employees. I'm not sure, but she also looks like somebody from Highlands.
Trapper, that location for Luther's had a lot of soul

*SIKK* bought it from Luther and stayed there for a few more years.

the redtop was great and got better on the second day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post

In that news 4 picture, it was taken at the Dunkin Doughnuts on San Pedro and Cypress. There is now a sonic there.
how did you narrow that down Will??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post

I still have my ticket stub Jimi Hendrix plus THE EXPERIENCE. Sunday May 10 1970 Jam Productions
I was in Washington State when he played the Arena Dwang.

I did catch them at the Municipal Auditorium a couple years earlier.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:48 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,199,062 times
Amazon.com has "Race With The Devil" and "Dirty Mary Crazy Larry" dvd in a 2fer for $8.42 on their site.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:10 PM

Hey Mud about Dunkin it was the nearest the ch 4 studio, and it was one of the few not in a strip mall. Went there many times and it looks like it.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:09 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,078,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Hey Mud about Dunkin it was the nearest the ch 4 studio, and it was one of the few not in a strip mall. Went there many times and it looks like it.
Back in the early '70's I used to work nights at a Dunkin Donuts as a baker. It was at or near the intersection of Harry Wurzbach and either Rittiman or Eisenhower. That was such a long time ago that I can't remember the name of the street! Anyway, it only took about two weeks to figure out that I didn't want to eat any more donuts. That was when Dunkin Donuts used to be open 24 hours. Guess that's gone too now. It was a long time ago.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:24 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,738,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
Back in the early '70's I used to work nights at a Dunkin Donuts as a baker. It was at or near the intersection of Harry Wurzbach and either Rittiman or Eisenhower. That was such a long time ago that I can't remember the name of the street! Anyway, it only took about two weeks to figure out that I didn't want to eat any more donuts. That was when Dunkin Donuts used to be open 24 hours. Guess that's gone too now. It was a long time ago.
I remember the Dunkin Donuts on Harry Wurzbach. It was near the intersection of Harry Wurzbach and Corrine. When I was very young, our family would go there after attending church at St. Thomas More. We would also frequent the Bill Miller B-B-Q that was next door. In the mid 80's, the Bill Miller relocated to Rittiman Rd. and Fairdale. The older location has come full circle as it is another BBQ restaurant. The Dunkin Donuts that you mentioned is now a Tex-Mex restaurant.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:54 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,078,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GSstage1 View Post
I remember the Dunkin Donuts on Harry Wurzbach. It was near the intersection of Harry Wurzbach and Corrine. When I was very young, our family would go there after attending church at St. Thomas More. We would also frequent the Bill Miller B-B-Q that was next door. In the mid 80's, the Bill Miller relocated to Rittiman Rd. and Fairdale. The older location has come full circle as it is another BBQ restaurant. The Dunkin Donuts that you mentioned is now a Tex-Mex restaurant.
Oh, that's right! I'd forgotten about the Bill Miller's next to it. I'm surprised that the DD building is still there at all. Thanks!

Old 07-18-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
Oh, that's right! I'd forgotten about the Bill Miller's next to it. I'm surprised that the DD building is still there at all. Thanks!
So what is there now where DD used to be? you know the address?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio