Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2012, 08:48 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,840,234 times

Advertisements

What I'd love is pics of my Great-Grandfathers old cooperage - Alamo Tank. We have one pic of it.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 11:53 AM

15 posts, read 54,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by closer69 View Post
I was a student for 1 year at Serna Elementary on Loop 410 back around '73. I would have been a part of the Mac class of 85. If anyone remembers, I was in Ms. Copelands class at Serna, and if you got sent to the principal, Ms. Gerza, you got the paddle. I was wondering if anyone had any info on the old white house just adjacent to the school. It was on the West side, and back then it was in disrepair. Being young, we all thought it was haunted, and if you kicked the ball over the fence during kickball/recess, you were screwed. Any info?

I went to Serna Elementary around that same time - 69-72 - and totally remember that old house! We used to make up stories about it being haunted and that midgets would sprinkle gemstones around on the floor to lure kids inside and then chop off their heads! We were morbid, that's for sure! And you are absolutely right on about losing any kind of kickballs, basketballs, ANYTHING that went over the fence was gone forever. No one would dare go over. I've thought about that place over the years and always wondered about the actual history that went along with it. Besides the part about how haunted it was.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:34 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,841,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
gy2020, I have a strong interest in the formative years of San Antonio. Got a lot of the early pics too. The one you have in your file showing the Vaudeville theater, the business next door at one time was Koenigriem & Co. The actual theater was previously a business called Schleyer & Bailey, then became the Plaza House Theater, and sometime around the early part of 1882, became the Vaudeville Theater. In your pic, just to the left of center, it appears that there are folks standing on a balcony. The upper story building just to their right, above the Theater, was an addition that would have been new at the time. Just to the right of the Theater, back in the 1860's is where the Union troops surrendered to the Confederacy. It's also the same location that Sibley formed his troops to fight on the frontier against the Yanks and got beat up at The Battle of Glorietta Pass. My Great, Great grandfather was a surgeon with Sibley's Texas Mounted Rifles on that adventure.
TrapperL, good info, however, the Vaudeville opened in 1872. It was run by Jack Harris for 10 years before he was killed by Ben Thompson on this date in 1882. The property was owned by Sam Smith whose descendants have ties to NBC (National Bank of Commerce). Sam Smith treated Jack Harris as a son and Smith died of a broken heart, a month after Jack died, August of 1882. The Vaudeville burned down in 1886 and was rebuilt as the Elite Hotel and Saloon. Later this was torn down in the 1930's and was replaced with the NBC building which sold to SASA (San Antonio Savings Association), when the new NBC building was built in the 1950's. After the Savings and Loan scandal in the 1980s Bank of America took over SASA.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:04 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,932,190 times
That's what happens when ya let the fingers do the walkin'. It should read 1872, not 1882. I have quite few pics of the Plaza House and can post them up if it has any value to you.
Here's one taken from the balcony of the Plaza House in 1872 as dated by the photographer.

Considering it appears to be the dead of winter, probably early January. Looks like snow on the ground.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
That's what happens when ya let the fingers do the walkin'. It should read 1872, not 1882. I have quite few pics of the Plaza House and can post them up if it has any value to you.
Here's one taken from the balcony of the Plaza House in 1872 as dated by the photographer.

Considering it appears to be the dead of winter, probably early January. Looks like snow on the ground.
Thanks Trapper L. I'd like to see what you have. I do have several old books about San Antonio but my interest was the saloons, red light district and theatres.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:45 PM

May be something like this? NOTE the name on the delivery wagon!

I assume you have pics of the Grand Theater. If not I think I have one...maybe two.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
May be something like this? NOTE the name on the delivery wagon!

I assume you have pics of the Grand Theater. If not I think I have one...maybe two.
TrapperL, I have plenty of pics of the Grand Opera House. I have the complete history of the theatres of San Antonio. I can't give you the link here without getting in trouble with moderators. Direct Message me and I will give you the link.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:14 PM

847 posts, read 2,232,902 times
was a great little joint.....

looks to be a 58 retractable

wonder what ya got if you ordered a peckerwood

Stinky Falls. spent a lot of hours at that place in the 60s 70s

when I first saw this one I was looking for my friend Al Ransom.
then I noticed he took the picture.
Al had some great stories about the graveyard shift.
RIP Al.

The Conqueroo yessir.
wish I coulda been there for the Yardbirds.

mud

Old 07-13-2012, 01:51 PM

In my early college days. Luthers kept me alive with Red Eye Stew. It was fabulous and it was cheap. I guess the people capacity in there was maybe 5 at the time. Most of the college kids just got their goods and left. If it was still open, I'd probably still be a customer.
Yeah, the car is a 58. The girl in the passenger seat front looks like one of the girls on some of Jim's restaurants wallpaper showing old employees. I'm not sure, but she also looks like somebody from Highlands.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:36 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,503,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieBuff View Post
This is a great forum, and I'm happy I found it. I've been looking for filming location for a low-budget 1975 movie, Race with the Devil. It's a classic drive-in type of movie about two couples in an RV trying to escape from Satanists, and it's pretty good example of the genre.

The movie was filmed all around the San Antonio area, and I'm hoping people here can help me fill in the blanks for the movie locations. Here are the locations I've figured out so far (in no particular order):

- Gas Station - It was a post from a user called 940 in
https://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...tml#post187378 that led me to this forum. Apparently, this was a station called "Red's" located Apparently, Red's is is no longer standing, and the area is dramatically different.

- Racetrack - the former Pan American Speedway in Live Oak closed in 1978

- Country Bar - Arkey Blue's Silver Dollar in Bandera is still open

I'm looking for any help in finding the following filming sites:

- The initial campsite - The couples stop the RV in an apparently remote spot on a river. According to Wikipedia, the spot is on the Frio River. Does anybody now exactly where this is?
Spoiler

- RV Park - The RV later stops at an RV park that's set on a hillside, and the place does have a swimming pool. The DVD commentary only says that the park was somewhere between San Antonio and San Marcos. Does anybody have any suggestions to where this place is, or was?

I'd appreciate any help or suggestions in finding those locations. Thank You.

My Uncle David was in Race With The Devil. He was playing steel guitar inside Arkey Blues in the movie. He told me where the campsite scene was shot, but I can't remember at the moment...believe it was somewhere around Utopia. Weird movie....Loretta Swit from M*A*S*H was in it...very young then. Peter Fonda was in it too..after his Easy Rider days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio