Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2011, 09:00 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,393,678 times

Advertisements

The parking lot striping was painted as football yard lines.
The best I can remember it wasn't very far from where Austin Highway branched off from Broadway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Dan Cook did have a place on Austin Highway called Time Out. It was located across the street from the Bentwood Apartments that were torn down a few years ago. It would have been about where the dentist's office is now, the one with the windmill out in front.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 09:20 PM

4,331 posts, read 7,242,167 times
Quote:
Dan Cook did have a place on Austin Highway called Time Out. It was located across the street from the Bentwood Apartments that were torn down a few years ago. It would have been about where the dentist's office is now, the one with the windmill out in front.
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
The parking lot striping was painted as football yard lines.
The best I can remember it wasn't very far from where Austin Highway branched off from Broadway.
Yes, I remember the parking lot, too. It did indeed resemble a football field. Green coating w/white stripes.

Time out was actually just past where Rittiman Road branches off Austin Highway, on the right-hand side, if you were outbound. Across the highway about where East Meadow Lane intersects.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:21 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,298,142 times
Quote:
Just curious, what year was this?

Old 06-18-2011, 04:59 AM

4,331 posts, read 7,242,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Just curious, what year was this?
I think the club was is operation from about 1973-1979.

Old 06-18-2011, 04:00 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,136,560 times
Jud Ashmore had a club at Bandera Rd @ 410. It was called The Great Gatsby.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
I think the club was is operation from about 1973-1979.
Makes sense. I did find mention of a band performing at "Dan Cook's Time Out on Austin Highway" in the newspaper archives from 1973. I was only three at the time, so no wonder I don't remember it.

Dan Cook used to live near my neighborhood when I was a kid, my mom and I would always see him shopping at the Handy Andy in Colonies North mall.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:38 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,050,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Dan Cook used to live near my neighborhood when I was a kid, my mom and I would always see him shopping at the Handy Andy in Colonies North mall.
Ditto. I worked there for my first job and he was a regular!

Old 06-23-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
Ditto. I worked there for my first job and he was a regular!
Do you remember when Mayor Lila Cockrill lived in Colonies North? And Sheriff Harlan Copeland lived in those apartments on Powhatten?

Colonies North was the Shizzy back then.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:25 PM

I've been spending some time in Corpus this summer and have gotten involved in their Gone But Not Forgotten thread. Does anybody remember Ship Ahoy in Corpus? I used to go there all the time when I was a kid, it was like a tradition every time my parents would take me to the coast during the summer, we would always eat at the Ship Ahoy by the Bay on Saturday. And more often then not, I would run into other kids I knew from school and their families there.

After doing a little research and posting some pics on the Corpus site, I was surprised to learn that the owner of Shop Ahoy also owned Christie's Seafood here in San Antonio (he actually purchased it after it had been in operation). In fact, the owner, James Hill, also bought a restaurant called Talk of the Town in downtown San Antonio and renamed the LongHorn and was it became successful. Anybody remember this restaurant. This was sometime in the 50's or early 60's.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:34 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,695,312 times
Speaking of Celebrities in Colonies North, back in the day. I saw Red Foxx (Yes, Fred Sanford ) at the infamous Colonies North Handy Andy.
And this is when Sanford & Son was still a top rated prime time show.
I have no idea what he was doing there. We believe he was probably in town doing a stand-up show at the near by Turtle Creek Country Club.

"Elizabeth, I am coming to see ya!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio