Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2009, 03:36 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,547,026 times

Advertisements

Remember when the "Startrek" craze hit in the early seventies? The were showing two episodes a day. One in the afternoon and one late night. I remember when it first came out on network in the late sixties. The ship was cool but I wanted to see a Robot and a Ray Gun. They put "Laugh in" on the other channel and we started watching that. Remember when "Tiny Tim" was the weirdest guy on Television? We liked him anyway. They moved "StarTrek" to friday nights but that was my slot car night so I never saw it much until the seventies when they almost wore those old video tapes out! I saw Godzilla Vs. The Thing at the Texas Theatre.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 07:24 PM

139 posts, read 504,672 times
Saw Monster Zero at the Laurel. Godzilla's Revenge at the Woodlawn. Godzilla vs the Bionic Monster at Century South. Godzilla vs King Kong ( My Favorite) and Godzilla Vs the Smog Monster on Project Terror. Save the Earth, Save the Earth. LOL. HHW

Old 11-06-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie Pie View Post
What was the scary movie show that had Elvira in between commercials???
Elvira's Movie Macabre. Came on in the Early 80s Saturday around 11 PM in SA

YouTube - Movie Macabre

Old 11-06-2009, 08:45 PM

14 posts, read 33,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhwolfman View Post
Saw Monster Zero at the Laurel. Godzilla's Revenge at the Woodlawn. Godzilla vs the Bionic Monster at Century South. Godzilla vs King Kong ( My Favorite) and Godzilla Vs the Smog Monster on Project Terror. Save the Earth, Save the Earth. LOL. HHW
was the laurel theatre located on san pedro and ummmm trying to think of the closest cross street. somewhere on san pedro and basse??? i know there was a movie theatre in that area because i saw the movie futureworld with peter fonda and that jewish guy with the bald head

Old 11-06-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCan2 View Post
was the laurel theatre located on san pedro and ummmm trying to think of the closest cross street. somewhere on san pedro and basse??? i know there was a movie theatre in that area because i saw the movie futureworld with peter fonda and that jewish guy with the bald head
I believe it was on San Pedro and Mulberry close to San Pedro and Woodlawn.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:01 PM

4,331 posts, read 7,242,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCan2 View Post
The Laurel was located on the East side of San Pedro, between Huisache and Mulberry. The theatre's parking lot was located between Mulberry and Agarita, across from Twain Middle School.

Old 11-07-2009, 12:01 AM

136 posts, read 332,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhwolfman View Post
Loved the monster movies. First movie I was allowed to go to without parents was "The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms", 1953 at the Texas theater downtown. Saw several Godzilla type movies in Japan, and the Japanese REALLY get into them. Yelling, screaming, hiding under seats; watching the audience was almost as fun as the movies themselves.

Old 11-07-2009, 09:11 AM

237 posts, read 851,637 times
Default Majestic Monsters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Rider View Post
Loved the monster movies.
Me too Boss and "Rodan the Flying Monster" was my first without parents. At age 11 me and a school mate rode the bus downtown to see Rodan at the Majestic. It was the first Japanese monster movie in color so it went to the Majestic instead of the Texas. It was truly great on the big screen and hooked me seriously into the world of Japanese "kaiju" as they call it, meaning monster. Rodan was released on DVD in 2007 for its 50th anniversary and that special edition includes the original unedited Japanese version. It also includes a second feature titled "War of the Gargantuas" and a neat Godzilla documentary as well. The Americanized versions of those TOHO Studio monster films that we all saw at the drive-ins or on later TV were almost all poorly dubbed and edited, in other words ruined. That made many of them silly at best so most people think of them as merely campy jokes. But the Japanese took most of them them seriously and they should be viewed that way now. The ones made in the '70s were mainly for kids and were often silly on purpose but the earlier ones and those made in the 1990s and later were again done seriously and are fine entertainment. Just accept the fact that there's a guy in rubber suit and move on. The miniature sets, model cities, boats, planes and the fireworks are usually well worth watching in their own right.
Speaking of the Majestic reminds me to ask if they ever show movies there anymore or is it all live stage shows, bands, plays, operas or whatever? I would love to go to a movie there again one day just to watch the magical clouds drifting by above and marvel at the restored scenery around the sides.
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-majestic.jpg  

Last edited by BudB; 11-07-2009 at 09:18 AM.. Reason: fix typo & add

Old 11-07-2009, 03:35 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,436,948 times
I remember back in the late 70's when I was little there was a movie house on Castorville rd behind the Centeno's that always showed the Godzilla movies.

Old 11-07-2009, 03:41 PM

7 posts, read 21,527 times
Hey ,BUD
What Year Did You Graduated from Highland ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio