Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2009, 10:20 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,433,488 times

Advertisements

I think GW was around for me than 4 years if I am correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 02:36 AM

Location: TX Hill Country-Helotes, Pipe Creek/Lake Hills & San Antonio, TX
844 posts, read 1,626,310 times
Smile Joe Alston a.k.a. Captain Gus

This name "Joe Alston" has been mentioned before on this thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...l#post11407469; and on this thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...ere-70s-2.html

I remember him as Captain Gus a show that appeared on KENS TV 5 during the 1970's. I happen to find this interesting website dedicated to Captain Gus, written by Dennis Dupriest, the ex-Mortimer from the Captain Gus show. Thought I would share it with any ex-Captain Gus fans out there........."CLASS OF 1970 BLAST FROM THE PAST"

As a kid I wondered why his show was cancelled, now I know the story behind the end of the Captain Gus show.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:08 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,294,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
I think GW was around for me than 4 years if I am correct.
I stand corrected.

From the Texas online handbook:

"G.W. Jrs. franchising began in 1976.......Sixty-two Texas hamburger shops were in operation by 1982, but the hamburger business was discontinued in 1985."

I was only 6 in '76, so I don't recall ever noticing the place untill about '79 or '80.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:51 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,825,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittykat13 View Post
This name "Joe Alston" has been mentioned before on this thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...l#post11407469; and on this thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...ere-70s-2.html

I remember him as Captain Gus a show that appeared on KENS TV 5 during the 1970's. I happen to find this interesting website dedicated to Captain Gus, written by Dennis Dupriest, the ex-Mortimer from the Captain Gus show. Thought I would share it with any ex-Captain Gus fans out there........."CLASS OF 1970 BLAST FROM THE PAST"

As a kid I wondered why his show was cancelled, now I know the story behind the end of the Captain Gus show.
I've mentioned before that I saw the old Props for "Cap't Gus" show back in the late 80's or early 90's. We were doing some work at Kens new studios and walked through a studio. There in front of my eyes the boat ..just flat plywood slid between some other props. Wow! Yep ..Cap't Gus and Shock..Project Terror!! Joe Alston was a fine guy I'm sure! Thanks for the great link.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
I've mentioned before that I saw the old Props for "Cap't Gus" show back in the late 80's or early 90's. We were doing some work at Kens new studios and walked through a studio. There in front of my eyes the boat ..just flat plywood slid between some other props. Wow! Yep ..Cap't Gus and Shock..Project Terror!! Joe Alston was a fine guy I'm sure! Thanks for the great link.

You're Welcome!

Old 12-18-2009, 03:47 PM

The following link tells a brief history of the connection between Church's and GW Jr.'s.........Church's Chicken: Information from Answers.com

Old 12-18-2009, 10:03 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,433,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
I heard from Dennis Dupree (Mortimer) that after the show went off the air they donated the boat to a daycare and it rotted. Just wondering if there was more than one then?

Old 12-19-2009, 12:02 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,294,983 times
Quote:
I heard from Dennis Dupree (Mortimer) that after the show went off the air they donated the boat to a daycare and it rotted. Just wondering if there was more than one then?
I heard the same thing, so I am curious, too!

Old 12-19-2009, 01:21 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,825,817 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
I heard the same thing, so I am curious, too!
Don't know how we could find out. The weather guy that lost his job for plagiarizing was still there. I recognized the boat ...no question it was the same boat or a replica. Not unreasonable to think they'd be more than one prop. I thought it strange too, not being the same studios.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:16 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,545,158 times
I was hoping someone else would chime in on the Capt. Gus stuff but I guess they are all getting ready for Christmas ( I am too!). He had at least a couple of ships over the years. I remember the early ones with him sitting next to a smoke stake and a "Wishing Well". I remember when he would wear a Navy Pea Coat! The "Wishing Well" was cool because he would give toy's away to kid's who would send in a card from some business that provided them. Most of the companies are long gone. Alwais Toy Box, Kiddie City, Dibble's Hobbies--Stanzel Planes--Wheel-o's --Slinkies!! At first they had a small audience of kids but it grew because so many kids wanted to be on the show. I think they had to get a smaller ship to make room for more kids!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio