Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2010, 08:36 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,547,026 times

Advertisements

This is another thing I remember. When I was very young I would go with my dad out Austin Hi way to a friend of his who made stuff out of glass. Lights and stuff. I remember the Austin Hiway drive in. They had neon lights shaped like cars that moved along the base of the screen. It became a flea market years later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 03:23 PM

237 posts, read 851,637 times
Dwangle was the glassblower guy at his home or was it a store with a shop? Only place I recall in SA was a man down at La Villita many years ago who had a shop there where he worked and sold the pieces he made. It was amazing to watch him build a ship or animal from slender glass rods while using a blowtorch and needle-nose pliers to pull the molten glass into any shape he wanted.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:04 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,695,312 times
Default Wonderland is Back!

In Today's Paper:

Wonderland name is back for local mall (http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/local/Wonderland_name_is_back_for_local_mall.html - broken link)

Great news! First Kiddie Park is making a come back, now Wonderland...what is next? Winns? Whopper Burger? Playland?

Just cause you are Gone in San Antonio doesn't mean you can't make a comeback!

Old 01-08-2010, 07:10 AM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,736,736 times
Joske's?

Old 01-08-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
Dwangle was the glassblower guy at his home or was it a store with a shop? Only place I recall in SA was a man down at La Villita many years ago who had a shop there where he worked and sold the pieces he made. It was amazing to watch him build a ship or animal from slender glass rods while using a blowtorch and needle-nose pliers to pull the molten glass into any shape he wanted.
I remember that guy at La Villita too. I don't think it was the same guy but I really don't know for sure. I would go with my dad when I was very young to his house. He made Neon signs and lights in his garage. He lived past the Austin Hi way drive in ,which is why I remember it, way out back then. I think he might have lived on the creek . I seem to remember that. I will ask my dad if he remembers his name.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
In Today's Paper:

Wonderland name is back for local mall (http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/local/Wonderland_name_is_back_for_local_mall.html - broken link)

Great news! First Kiddie Park is making a come back, now Wonderland...what is next? Winns? Whopper Burger? Playland?

Wonderland is coming back! The slot car track is still there and so is the Radio Shack. All need now is Platter Palace, Winn's, Woolworth and a Picidilly Cafeteria!

Old 01-08-2010, 01:09 PM

9 posts, read 35,100 times
I moved to San Antonio in December of 1972, from New Jersey (moved to Arizona about 10 years ago). At first, I was suffering from withdrawals from good Italian food (especially pizza).

Does anyone remember Valerio's on Broadway? They had pretty good Italian food. My girlfriend (who later became my first wife) used to eat there a lot, on Friday afternoons. They had great Veal Parmisan.

Also, I remember a pizza place on Military Drive, across from the Century South Theaters, but I can't remember the name.

Anyway, they both helped a bit with my Italian food withdrawals...

And who can forget Taco Island on Bandera Rd. Great tacos and open real late? Food places that were open late was something that was hard to find in San Antonio in the early 70'S.

There was also a drug store on the corner of South Flores & Southcross that had great ice cream sodas...

Last edited by gbotello; 01-08-2010 at 02:06 PM..

Old 01-08-2010, 02:59 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,864,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbotello View Post
I moved to San Antonio in December of 1972, from New Jersey (moved to Arizona about 10 years ago). At first, I was suffering from withdrawals from good Italian food (especially pizza).

Does anyone remember Valerio's on Broadway? They had pretty good Italian food. My girlfriend (who later became my first wife) used to eat there a lot, on Friday afternoons. They had great Veal Parmisan.

Also, I remember a pizza place on Military Drive, across from the Century South Theaters, but I can't remember the name.

Anyway, they both helped a bit with my Italian food withdrawals...

And who can forget Taco Island on Bandera Rd. Great tacos and open real late? Food places that were open late was something that was hard to find in San Antonio in the early 70'S.

There was also a drug store on the corner of South Flores & Southcross that had great ice cream sodas...
Colonna's Pizza next to the music shop at Commercial & S.W.Military Drive. The Drug Store you speak of may have been Warmack's Pharmacy. Actually one block south of Southcross Blvd. The only thing similar to a drug store ever at Southcross and S. Flores was an old Red & White Groc. in the 50's. BTW, this intersection was South Flores and Pacific Ave and Tennessee prior to 70's. Sommer's Drug store was a few blocks south and later became Huff Ave Pharmacy. I went to elementary school with Mr. Warmack's oldest son.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:31 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,666,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
In Today's Paper:

maybe GW Jr's

Old 01-08-2010, 04:52 PM

Ok this is off topic so please forgive but I always get good answers here . I watch the local news at five. Usually Katie Couric tells Deb Knapp about the CBS evening news on next. How do they do that? There is only one Katie but every city has a Deb or equivilent. How does Katie talk to them all at once and make it seem like she is only talking to the person in your local station?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio