Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2009, 02:57 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,297,048 times

Advertisements

Okay this last one is for GY2020. He set up a page for me to post historical research on his theater site, but I've been too busy to contribute to it. I stumbled upon these articles on the Colonies North Theater today. This is the theater in the neighborhood I grew up in. I remember seeing the "Last Flight of Noah's Ark" and "Return to Boogy Creek" there.

Interesting, I never knew they did live shows there, too.
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-cnmt1.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-cnmt2.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-cnmt3.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 03:11 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,735,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Willsatx,
Thought you might enjoy this. Did a little snooping in the Newspaper Archives and found this tidbit. I remember the Pioneer House, it lasted there for a long time. I don't remember where the Cedric's Fish and Chips was. I don't remember the Nature's Way Health food store, I alway thought it was always PEN Foods. Do you remember differently? Maybe they changed the name or got bought out before the mall was finished being constructed.
I'm fairly certain it was Pen Foods. I think I actually shopped there a couple of times. If I recall correctly, there was a lot of excitement about a new grocery store in town(instead of HEB or Handy Andy). I think Pen Foods was a specialty market, but I'm not sure what they specialized in .....

Old 12-15-2009, 03:45 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,297,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
I'm fairly certain it was Pen Foods. I think I actually shopped there a couple of times. If I recall correctly, there was a lot of excitement about a new grocery store in town(instead of HEB or Handy Andy). I think Pen Foods was a specialty market, but I'm not sure what they specialized in .....
This is from an ad from a Texas Monthly from 1989.

"Pen Foods: Upscale retail supermarket with exceptionally large fine wine selection, large delicatessen, in-store "scratch" bakery, Fresh seafood and and USDA prime beef 8101 Callaghan San Antonio"

Apparrently, it wasn't a chain from another city but was a local store. In fact, it looks like this wasn't their first location, I found a help wanted ad for Pen Foods from 1977 which listed the location as 607 Briar Oak, 78216. The ad starts "This new 30,000 sq. ft. supermarket will open soon in Northwest San Antonio"

What's funny about the ad is that one of the positions mentioned is Bakery Supervisor. In order to get the job the ad says "We will have a frozen produce bake-off".

I don't know what a "frozen produce bake-off" is, but it sounds like getting a job there was a little like competing on Top Chef.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:22 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,850,284 times
Pen Foods was locally owned I think. Just north of I-10 on Callaghan was like a health foods or natural foods specialty Market. Went there 2 or 3 times over the years. We frequented Colonies North in early 80's.

Last edited by SATX56; 12-15-2009 at 04:31 PM..

Old 12-15-2009, 04:25 PM

4,330 posts, read 7,239,240 times
Quote:
This is from an ad from a Texas Monthly from 1989.

"Pen Foods: Upscale retail supermarket with exceptionally large fine wine selection, large delicatessen, in-store "scratch" bakery, Fresh seafood and and USDA prime beef 8101 Callaghan San Antonio"

Apparrently, it wasn't a chain from another city but was a local store. In fact, it looks like this wasn't their first location, I found a help wanted ad for Pen Foods from 1977 which listed the location as 607 Briar Oak, 78216. The ad starts "This new 30,000 sq. ft. supermarket will open soon in Northwest San Antonio"
According to directories from that era, the Briar Oak address was the residence of Norman Pentecost, the founder of Pen Foods.

I'm not aware of Pen Foods being located anywhere other than the Grandview Shopping Center at Callaghan & I10. That store became a Handy-Andy after Pen Foods closed, and then later the Sun Harvest store that was next to Kmart on Fredericksburg Rd. relocated there.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:32 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,850,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
According to directories from that era, the Briar Oak address was the residence of Norman Pentecost, the founder of Pen Foods.

I'm not aware of Pen Foods being located anywhere other than the Grandview Shopping Center at Callaghan & I10. That store became a Handy-Andy after Pen Foods closed, and then later the Sun Harvest store that was next to Kmart on Fredericksburg Rd. relocated there.
There you go!! Great job!

Old 12-15-2009, 06:25 PM
RGJ

For some reason, I'm thinking that Nelson Wolfe and his family(Sun Harvest) had something to do with Pen Foods, maybe because they took over the space at a later date..or maybe they backed or helped Mr. Pentecost...I'm not sure

Old 12-15-2009, 08:48 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,435,680 times
Quote:
Willsatx,
Thought you might enjoy this. Did a little snooping in the Newspaper Archives and found this tidbit. I remember the Pioneer House, it lasted there for a long time. I don't remember where the Cedric's Fish and Chips was. I don't remember the Nature's Way Health food store, I alway thought it was always PEN Foods. Do you remember differently? Maybe they changed the name or got bought out before the mall was finished being constructed.
GW you are awesome like the pic, I am not sure when it became Penn Foods. I think Cedrics was where Capparelli's was, and i think after Cedrics it was Ninfa's.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:41 PM
RGJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
GW you are awesome like the pic, I am not sure when it became Penn Foods. I think Cedrics was where Capparelli's was, and i think after Cedrics it was Ninfa's.
It didn't become Penn Foods...It was Penn Foods(or Pen Foods, don't know the exact spelling) to begin with....

Old 12-15-2009, 09:54 PM

4,330 posts, read 7,239,240 times
Nature's Way, an established chain, first appeared at the 8059 Callaghan address in the 1978 telephone directory. Pen Foods also first appeared that year at 8101 Callaghan, but only at that one location.

The only listings I could find for Cedric's Fish & Chips were from 1977. One was on Pat Booker, the other on S. Zarzamora. I wonder if Cedric's was a one-year-only deal, or did they change their name?

Pioneer House also first appeared in the 1978 directory at 8085 Callaghan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio