Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2011, 09:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,683 times

Advertisements

That would be around 80 or 81 when Eckerds bought them out I was working for the company that had the contract and changed most of the signage back then
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 12:38 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,621,176 times
City hall in the know…..Bud Little: WOAI News Reporter !

Old 12-09-2011, 07:15 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,135,918 times
I remember Skillerns being in San Antonio for a while. Were they taken over by Eckerds, too?

Old 12-09-2011, 07:51 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,297,614 times
I just remember the whole Sommer's Drug > to Revco > to CVS evolution.

What is interesting, though, is the concept store we see today at your local CVS or Walgreen's was actually invented by Revco/Sommer's when they emerged from bankruptcy sometime in the 90's.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:57 PM

4,330 posts, read 7,240,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
I remember Skillerns being in San Antonio for a while. Were they taken over by Eckerds, too?
Skillern's was actually bought out by Revco, but didn't Revco eventually get taken over by Eckerd?

Old 12-10-2011, 10:29 AM

1,099 posts, read 2,074,899 times
how about the convenient stores I went to as a kid
7-11
Stop n Go
Mr. M's
Utote'm
Lone Star Ice House

Old 12-10-2011, 11:51 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,738,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnts71 View Post
7-11
Stop n Go
Mr. M's
Utote'm
Lone Star Ice House
You about covered them all. Especially Stop n Go and Lone Star Ice House. There were four of them within walking distance from my parents's house off Eisenhauer. I remember collecting empty glass soda bottles and turning them in at the Food City on Eisenhauer Rd. This was way before todays's "Going Green Mindset".

Old 12-10-2011, 12:17 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,842,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnts71 View Post
7-11
Stop n Go
Mr. M's
Utote'm
Lone Star Ice House
I worked for Mr. M when they first opened in the 1960's. 1964-1966 in San Antonio and 1972-1973 in Houston. I also worked for U-tote-M in Houston.
Mr. M carried Metzger's dairy products and I believe Metzger's was a parent company. I was robbed once at Mr. M in Houston and three times at U-Tote-M. I decided that was enough.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:58 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,135,918 times
Back in 1993-94 there were still Mr M convenience stores in the DFW area. There was one walking distance from my house in Garland.

Back when I was a kid in the late 1950s through 60s, I made many a trip to the Lone Star ice house on West Ave. near where West Ave. Elementary is now to buy candy, sodas, etc. That store is now called Sunnys. The proprietor there was a man named Joe Black. He was a no nonsense kind of guy. If one brought in empty soda bottles for a refund from a bottler that he didn't sell, he would sternly tell him to take a hike. I asked him if he would take in any bottle, and I would reimburse him for the odd ones that came in. He did, and i got quite a collection of bottles from different parts of the country, and some that were downright old. I sold one of them on Ebay recently for $25. Not bad for a two cent investment!

That store also sold Patio tamales for 25 cents a half dozen! They were kept hot in an electric broiler. Many is the time my lunch consisted of six tamales bought at Lone Star. Inflation has definitely hit the tamale market since then!

Last edited by outafocus; 12-10-2011 at 05:12 PM..

Old 12-10-2011, 06:33 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,546,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
Back in 1993-94 there were still Mr M convenience stores in the DFW area. There was one walking distance from my house in Garland.

Back when I was a kid in the late 1950s through 60s, I made many a trip to the Lone Star ice house on West Ave. near where West Ave. Elementary is now to buy candy, sodas, etc. That store is now called Sunnys. The proprietor there was a man named Joe Black. He was a no nonsense kind of guy. If one brought in empty soda bottles for a refund from a bottler that he didn't sell, he would sternly tell him to take a hike. I asked him if he would take in any bottle, and I would reimburse him for the odd ones that came in. He did, and i got quite a collection of bottles from different parts of the country, and some that were downright old. I sold one of them on Ebay recently for $25. Not bad for a two cent investment!

That store also sold Patio tamales for 25 cents a half dozen! They were kept hot in an electric broiler. Many is the time my lunch consisted of six tamales bought at Lone Star. Inflation has definitely hit the tamale market since then!
So cool! We used to do that too. We used to buy a can of Frito bean dip and some tortillas and make bean taco's. Nobody would take the Hippo bottles and never beer bottles. I alway's went to the Lone Star on Vance Jackson and Future and bought a SGT ROCK comic book and a SUPER BUBBLE wad of gum. I can still see SGT Rock everytime I get some SUPER BUBBLE. When I got old enough to buy beer the FINA ONE STOP had Ballentine Beer for 89 cents a six pack. We bought it because it was really cheap. Cheaper than Texas Pride. The Led Zeppline ZOTO album has the Drummers symbol on it. He used the Ballentine Beer symbol--It was his favorite beer!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio