Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2013, 11:47 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,393,678 times

Advertisements

I think I went through the same schools one year ahead of you, yes there on San Antonio's Southside. I would have been in the class of 1970 from Highlands High but moved away very early in my junior year, Dad moved and then transferred shortly afterward. The family all ended up living out of state due to my Dad's career moves.
I remember C.C. Ball school alright but I never attended school there, Bob.
I did attend Forbes Elementary for 1st through third grades.
Next, Inez Foster Elem. opened its' doors at that time, 1960. Located at the N.E. intersection of Pecan Valley Rd. and Utopia Rd. Attended school there from fourth until the seventh grade when I, like you,
entered Connell Jr. High.
The name of Hot Wells Jr. High was changed to Connell Jr. High about then. I think I remember Mr.
Connell was a principle at Forbes Elementary or something, I can barely remember, I was so young
and that was a very long time ago.
What a wild ride that was at Connell Jr High. There was a very nice crop of juvenile delinquents there that year, it is where I had to learn to defend myself. Holy cow put your dukes. One of them was dead within three years.
I would say Snappy Bob, we probably had a nodding acqaintance back then, or at least knew each other by sight or maybe even actually knew each other, who knows, or at least had some mutual acquaintances. It would seem so after attending the same schools for so long.
I could have been the nerdy guy you observed and recall that carried the satchel in the hallways at Connell Middle School. The old man, a successful businessman, bought one for me and made me carry it and for a little while I did. I felt so ridiculous and out of place carrying the stupid thing.. I still remember it.
For some reason or another Dad felt I should have a satchel to carry school books and such in.
I guess he wanted me to look like a professional student. SO act the part. Soon afterward I refused to , in possibly my first act of open defiance at twelve years old, toward my Dad, carry the satchel. At the same time period.....
It is probably why I ended up in fistfights, right, Bob? Smart alecky Juveniles in groups act out towards nerds.
The only things I lacked to take on the appearance of a complete nerd were eyeglasses and a pocket protector.
These smart-alecky guys wore pointy black black leather shoes, sideties, and long greased down slicked back hair. I suppose they were trying to look like Elvis Presley. I do not know.
Of course I wore whitewalls around the ears, military style haircut , and canvas tennis shoes.
I was inadvertently made into a target for the toughs by my well meaning Dad. It was the perfect setup for those guys.
It all stopped when I started swinging, after I had, had enough of those guys. This was all harmless kid stuff
compared to what goes on today.
Corporal punishment was still legal to administer to kids back then at school.
After a couple of licks to the backsides from both coach Martin and Mr. Culpepper the the vice-principle
at Connell, the whole mess was cleared up. Mr. Culpepper had a pretty good swing on him, I smarted for some time afterward and could barely sit in my wooden schooldesk afterward I can recall also, to this day.
Remember them ? Coach Martin was a good person. I remember throwing a softball during his class 151 feet during the seventh grade physical testing of the gym class. One foot clear of the excellent mark. I surprised myself.
Culpepper's disciplinary paddle looked more like a boat oar than a paddle- about three feet long and about an inch thick and darkly stained and varnished. Probably custom made for him by Mr. Windell, the wood shop teacher from a piece of Pine 2X4 board. I can still remember being summoned to his office out of fourth 4th hour class shortly after these confrontations with those other kids; waiting there in his office and then after a brief talk out came the paddle out from underneath his desk and I thought , Oh sh*t. I knew what was coming then. Whack!
I am sure we more than likely had the same teachers SnappyBob, for shop class , gym, etc. and all, through many years. There was another poster here in the same class as I was. I have not seen his posts for some time now.
I look back with much fondness on those years. Some of it was not very funny at the time (1965) , however.

QUOTE=SnappyBob;28442654][/quote]

I went through SAISD all through school also. Forbes, then first graduating class of CC Ball, then Connel Junior HIgh and on to Highlands High where I graduated in 71.[/quote]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 01:58 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,590,580 times
I can't believe you TOO had to carry your books in a satchel. My Dad bought mine also. I hated that thing. I felt like everybody was staring and laughing at me. Probably because they were. I abused it severly trying to wear it out and I finally did. It was tough though. Actually, it was a pretty nice piece of luggage when I think about it. But not something a kid just starting out in junior high wants to be seen lugging around. Junior high is the first real melting pot of education. Kids from different elementary schools are being put together for the first time. First impressions are everything and my folks make me show up with a breif case. After finally ditching the briefcase / satchel I had to try and be extra cool to live it down. In a way that may have been good for me and in a way maybe not so good but it is what it is. Was what it was and I survived.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:47 PM

847 posts, read 2,233,448 times
gone. butt, not forgotten. Small World Hobby Shop..........

Old 03-07-2013, 03:55 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,199,062 times
In case you're wondering where:

935 Fredericksburg Rd, San Antonio, TX - Google Maps

Old 03-07-2013, 04:15 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,938,069 times
At one time that was San Antonio Radiator Shop. They built several radiators for me for the go fast cars and then several dually pullers I built. I wonder what happened to the toys they had inside? They had more cast iron toys from many years ago than I had ever seen in one place. I collect cast iron toys. I have one that's a rare Arcade that was given to me years ago by an elderly lady that they like to have flipped over. I turned down some serious money for it. Even if you didn't buy anything it was worth the time just to go thru it. This is not a good day for San Antonio as this place was part of SA history.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:28 PM

47 posts, read 87,851 times
I remember it. It used to be an Ice cream place or something. I liked the selection but it was expensive. The models not the Ice cream. It was near Fred Road and Woodlawn I think. I used to buy auto paint near there. Was it Color tone? Are they still there? What about Guzmans bakery? I bet it is long gone. I remember there was an old building that was painted MONTECELLO MARKET. Remember that? I guess St Ann's is still there. Catholics are here for the long haul. Let me see...down to five points...

Old 03-07-2013, 04:42 PM

847 posts, read 2,233,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellviewforever View Post

I remember it. It used to be an Ice cream place or something.
in my 1964 City Directory the address was for Knowltons Creamery.

Mr Trap - they did a few radiators for me as well.

I snapped those pix earlier today. thursday 03 07 2013

Old 03-07-2013, 04:59 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,938,069 times
Yepper, there was a Knowltons Creamery sign that hung from the Woodlawn side of the building. We didn't get our dairy there though, we had home delivery from Knowltons and changed later on to Carnation. Dang, I'm old!

Old 03-07-2013, 06:33 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,864,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by *mud* View Post
in my 1964 City Directory the address was for Knowltons Creamery.

Mr Trap - they did a few radiators for me as well.

I snapped those pix earlier today. thursday 03 07 2013
Looks like Dibble's on Donaldson is still going strong. Mud wasn't that Small World Hobby another name before that moved from downtown way back? Thought you or someone posted some pretty old pics of the former downtown location. Been in there maybe once or twice but passed by it a million times. Is Garcia's Still open across the street? Heard they're doing BBQ now instead of Mexican food. Man they had great carne guisada back in the 70's.

As for Knowlton's my FIL worked there 25 years across I-10 next to Golf Crest. Was a Supervisor retired and went into real estate. Fred I can't even tell where Garcia's was in that Google view..looking across the street the old station is still there. It's hell getting old. OOPS! I found it it's a block away south oh well so much for my memory.
I've been through St Ann's Too. The school part at least.

Last edited by SATX56; 03-07-2013 at 06:44 PM..

Old 03-07-2013, 10:57 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,199,062 times
Dave do this right now before you forget. Write your name and address and phone number on a piece of paper and put it in your wallet. That's for when you wind up in Arkansas somewhere and can't remember who you are. It'll make it easier on the people that find you....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio