Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2013, 12:40 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,858,453 times

Advertisements

Kate Schenck maybe? It's been around a long time but maybe not that long.

Schenck Elementary, SAISD - Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 01:16 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,935,079 times
I can tell you this much, it's not in Muds phone directory. Goliad Road wasn't there until the early 50's. My sister and I played on the road building equipment after the guys would go home for the day. They parked at our place for safe keeping as we were about the only place out there with any land. My dad owned what would be the triangle of Clark, Goliad, and Avondale. That was home to me as a kid. As I've posted here before, Goliad Road followed the cattle trail out to Brooks AFB. Mr Shadrock had a dairy cows that he took out to Brooks every day to feed along the runways to keep the weeds and grass down. Every morning he would idle his green Chevy pickup down the old country lane with a bucket of corn hanging from the tailgate. They'd come back in the afternoon.
SATX56 is probably right but that school didn't go in until the late 50's maybe early 60's. I would have been out of elementary school by then otherwise I would have gone to school there. I went to Hot Wells and Forbes.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:29 PM

How Wells Elementary has got to be one of the oldest over in that area. Oops gotta go..

Old 02-20-2013, 04:27 PM

847 posts, read 2,233,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAFREAK View Post

Hey MUD,....In your phone book listing for 1930, is there anyway you could cut and paste the listings for "schools" and post those. Im looking for a school one my relatives attended on Goliad around that time. I really would appreciate it.
nothing in the book FREAK.

as Mr Trap noted Goliad Rd was not in existence in 1930.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:44 PM

265 posts, read 534,845 times
Weren't parts of Goliad known as (Old) Corpus Christi Hwy?

Old 02-20-2013, 07:22 PM

Here's a 1941 map ...shows no Goliad Rd. Surprisingly shows Gevers running south beyond 410.

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/histo...tonio_1941.jpg

1950's shows Golliad Rd

http://www.oscarmail.net/dfwfreeways...onio_large.jpg

I think much of Gevers (on this map)may be where Goliad actually is now.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:42 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,393,155 times
Default Old Corpus Christi,

I think Goliad Rd. outside of Loop 13 was called the Old Corpus Christi Highway.
I can remember traveling as a small child on that old highway. It was really old, too, the name fit it well.
I can barely remember it , heading out of town toward Beeville. On it there was an ancient iron bridge still in use,the cars would cross over Salado Creek(?) and the bridge deck was made of wooden planks
there on the Old Corpus Christi Highway.
Dad would cross over it very slowly in his car. I cannot remember if it was a one lane or
two lane bridge, one lane I think; I mostly can recall our nervousness while crossing it.
It was very apparent just by looking at it, that so old of a bridge was on the verge of collapsing under the weight of the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John911 View Post
Weren't parts of Goliad known as (Old) Corpus Christi Hwy?

Old 02-20-2013, 10:13 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,935,079 times
Yep, the Old Corpus Christi Hiway at the time and if you were going to Corpus, you took Presa out of town and turned on the hiway going to south. If you turned north, you ended up along side of Brooks AFB where it dead ended and yes, that old bridge was dangerous even back when I was learning how to drive. When they put in Goliad Rd they made it intersect with that portion of the Old Corpus Hiway. It was later that Loop 13 was actually finished at Goliad. I remember all to vividly right after that opened we went out there to see it-it was a major event back then and we saw a wreck. Apparently a guy in a foreign sports car, MG or something like it, had wrapped it around a tree alongside of Lp 13 at Goliad. I got to see that the man had no head and the car at the drivers door was maybe a foot thick, his body was sticking up like a Popsicle. Pretty nasty for a kid to see. Before Lp13 was finished, you got to Brooks by going out Presa and catching the first part of Lp13 that went from Presa to Brooks. The main gate was just west of the base housing at that time. Once Lp13 was finished, they moved it towards the runway. The landing pattern put all air traffic right over the house. Per one of the pilots to my dad, they used our chicken barn to line up with the runway. I guess we were 2-3 miles north of Brooks.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:04 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,393,155 times
Default I also remember,

Routing out Presa towards Corpus or on Old Corpus Christi Highway also.
Trapper my recollections of those times reflect yours.. Mutual acquaintances of teachers at the middle and high school levels, I went to Forbes and Hot Wells, knew Mr. Foster and Mr. Bryan, recollect you lived on Avondale. I think you are a few years older than me as Hot Wells Middle School was called Connell
middle school, by the time I went there. Speaking of landing patterns of military aircraft over Brooks A.F.B.....in San Antonio.
Family moved to an area on the northwest side in 1968 out Ingram Rd. and loop 410. Only this time the aircraft landings from Kelly A.F.B. routed directly over our house.
C-5 and fighter craft were flying so low you dould see the guy wearing his flight helmet piloting the fighter craft very clearly lining himself up with the runway. The sounds were deafening. Inside the house the television reception would completely be interrupted and turn to "snow" as we used to call a over the air T.V. signal back then-and even if it did not wipe out signal interception you could not have listened to the television on account of the roar of the engines on the C-5 in particular.
This noise was an incredible nuisance. I still can remember the C-5 had 23 wheels underneath it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Yep, the Old Corpus Christi Hiway at the time and if you were going to Corpus, you took Presa out of town and turned on the hiway going to south. If you turned north, you ended up along side of Brooks AFB where it dead ended and yes, that old bridge was dangerous even back when I was learning how to drive. When they put in Goliad Rd they made it intersect with that portion of the Old Corpus Hiway. It was later that Loop 13 was actually finished at Goliad. I remember all to vividly right after that opened we went out there to see it-it was a major event back then and we saw a wreck. Apparently a guy in a foreign sports car, MG or something like it, had wrapped it around a tree alongside of Lp 13 at Goliad. I got to see that the man had no head and the car at the drivers door was maybe a foot thick, his body was sticking up like a Popsicle. Pretty nasty for a kid to see. Before Lp13 was finished, you got to Brooks by going out Presa and catching the first part of Lp13 that went from Presa to Brooks. The main gate was just west of the base housing at that time. Once Lp13 was finished, they moved it towards the runway. The landing pattern put all air traffic right over the house. Per one of the pilots to my dad, they used our chicken barn to line up with the runway. I guess we were 2-3 miles north of Brooks.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:12 PM

17 posts, read 47,958 times
Default Goliad Road

Actually Goliad Road existed in some form or another long before anyone here was alive. It appears on many historical maps found in
Texas Cities Historical Maps - Perry-Castañeda Map Collection - UT Library Online
The 1889 shows a dashed line.
The 1929 map shows Goliad Road starting at Gevers.

I also found this historical note.
San Antonio Manufactured Homes - Indian Hills

Remember, a road back then was not what we think of today. The cattle trail that TrapperL described may well have been the Goliad Road shown on the maps.

In more recent times there was another part called Goliad Street which was in the area that became Hemisfair 68.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio