Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2015, 05:16 AM

457 posts, read 661,611 times

Advertisements

Trapper,

Yes, The Eastwood was the place to see the biggest names in R & B, Rock and Roll when they appeared
as single acts. My first experience of seeing several major acts, Bobby "Blue" Bland, B.B King, Freddy King,
Little Richard and several others was at the Eastwood. Later on, the road shows such as Dick Clarks' Shower of Stars
and others played the Municipal Auditorium, but the acts playing the Eastwood would do at least two 60-90 minute sets!
I also recall other S A musicians such as Doug Sahm, Johnny Olenn, Roy Head and others checking out the acts at the Eastwood, and occasionally setting-in with the major acts.

Never had the pleasure of seeing Miss Wiggles at the Eastwood, but I did see her once at the Western Inn in Fairbanks,
Alaska in the early 1960's. To say she was a contortionist is putting it mildly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 05:25 AM

Rancho,

Henry Guerro was a class act! HBG and Henry C were typical politicians, and as such, predictable opportunist!
Never had any use for ANY of them, including "Land Slide Lyndon"! (Ever hear about the 202 found ballots from the Valley?
200 for Lyndon and two for his opponent!)

BB

Old 04-27-2015, 07:24 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,393,155 times
Default Politicians,

Never even heard of that class act you write of , Henry Guerro, Basse Bud. Who was he?

Yes , politicians are opportunists. Of course. They must be in order to stay in office or else other political opportunists will outmaneuver them and raise more money than they and then, soon the political aspirations aspiring politician will have to go home. Only the biggest opportunist will win out. Because without money there is no getting elected in the first place.
Remember the Jimmy Stewart movie "Mr. Smith goes to Washington" ? Naivete was the topic of it.

Reminds me of a guy I know.
An acquaintance of mine, a professor from South Carolina is an intellectual property attorney in China.
If there is or can be such a thing in China.
Also a visiting scholar at the Univ. of Washington and so many other American schools. He currently lives in China teaching intellectual property, copyright and patent law to Chinese college students and of course he is very fluent in Chinese, french, spanish, and other languages. His name is Dr.M. Dujon, Esq.

He said to me once about himself , and I quote," Teaching and lobbying for this sort of stuff (intellectual property laws) to the Chinese Govt. is like the movie "Mr. Smith goes to Washington". Impossible. He also predicts the collapse of China and he says, this collapse is already underway.
I do not doubt it.
The Chinese Govt. is, has, a very ambivalent policy towards this private property concept. This is a very fascinating fellow I write of, of course, and an African American. He also serves NATO on Chinese-American foreign relations, international law, and wears oh, so many other hats that all are impossible to list here..cannot begin to mention. In fact, it is impossible to remember them all.

Lyndon Johnson won his 1948 Senate election by 87 votes. Out of one million cast here in Texas. Yes.
an improbable election victory over an incredibly popular Governor who had previously won all 248- every single county- in a statewide election for Governor.
Yes, votes from the valley put Landslide Lyndon in his senate seat. Purchased votes. In such an obviously crooked election there was an investigation launched, by request of the LBJ opponent for this senate seat, the great Coke Stephenson, the- "self-made man".
However,remember, that both, sides were guilty of stealing ballots.
An election investigation into this south Texas election begun in D.C. was quelled by powers that were, in the Capitol.
From the very top.

We now live in Lyndon Johnson's world. The entire country was dramatically changed, drastically altered
after the passage of so much liberal stuff during this country changing tenure. In fact the Dept. of HUD was signed into Law by LBJ. You know who is in there now and Henry C. was in there of course. The fair housing act alone changed the "color" of the landscape of San Antonio. If you know what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basse Bud View Post
Rancho,

Henry Guerro was a class act! HBG and Henry C were typical politicians, and as such, predictable opportunist!
Never had any use for ANY of them, including "Land Slide Lyndon"! (Ever hear about the 202 found ballots from the Valley?

BB

Old 04-27-2015, 11:57 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,783,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Ms Wiggles was well known here for nude dancing. Sounds kinda trashy but she did it with class. Eastwood attracted the likes of Etta James and the great Fats Domino several times. Curley Mays was also a regular. Only place I can ever say I've been in my travels that there was never an issue or trouble from the crowd of any kind.
Ms Wiggles causes a lot of issues downtown with her nude dancing. It was the cause of outlawing nude dancing. She went from nude to outfits with lots of hanging jewelry to fly in the wind as she "danced" on her head. She was an experience.
Are you sure she danced nude?

Quote:
"I never danced nude," she said in a 1986 interview with the Daily News. Dancing and striptease were considered two seperate disciplines.
Mourners recall the humanitarian side of 'Miss Wiggles’ | Alaska Dispatch News

Old 04-28-2015, 12:05 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,621,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basse Bud View Post
Rancho,

BB
HBG & I never talked about politics.
It was mostly about things that we enjoyed on our free time.
I worked @ Univision when Mr. Cisneros came in. I recall that he
enjoyed my enthusiasm for old bicycles & VW beetles. I was not on
a one to one basis with him.
He was my boss but nevertheless very pleasant.

The gentleman I was making reference to about his great voice
was Mr. Henry Guerra of W.O.A.I.
Perhaps that is why there was the question of who is Henry Guerro.

Respectfully,
RD

Old 04-29-2015, 01:20 AM

Huck,

Henry Guerra was on WOAI and a part of the S A radio market for years. His signature sign-off was "... y Muy Buenos Noches "!
RIP Henry G.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:23 AM

With all due respect, what she said in 1986 was worlds apart from what she did in the 1950's - 1960's !

Whatever the "Style" , she was entertaining!

Old 04-29-2015, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Never even heard of that class act you write of , Henry Guerro, Basse Bud. Who was he?

Yes , politicians are opportunists. Of course. They must be in order to stay in office or else other political opportunists will outmaneuver them and raise more money than they and then, soon the political aspirations aspiring politician will have to go home. Only the biggest opportunist will win out. Because without money there is no getting elected in the first place.
Remember the Jimmy Stewart movie "Mr. Smith goes to Washington" ? Naivete was the topic of it.

Reminds me of a guy I know.
An acquaintance of mine, a professor from South Carolina is an intellectual property attorney in China.
If there is or can be such a thing in China.
Also a visiting scholar at the Univ. of Washington and so many other American schools. He currently lives in China teaching intellectual property, copyright and patent law to Chinese college students and of course he is very fluent in Chinese, french, spanish, and other languages. His name is Dr.M. Dujon, Esq.

He said to me once about himself , and I quote," Teaching and lobbying for this sort of stuff (intellectual property laws) to the Chinese Govt. is like the movie "Mr. Smith goes to Washington". Impossible. He also predicts the collapse of China and he says, this collapse is already underway.
I do not doubt it.
The Chinese Govt. is, has, a very ambivalent policy towards this private property concept. This is a very fascinating fellow I write of, of course, and an African American. He also serves NATO on Chinese-American foreign relations, international law, and wears oh, so many other hats that all are impossible to list here..cannot begin to mention. In fact, it is impossible to remember them all.

Lyndon Johnson won his 1948 Senate election by 87 votes. Out of one million cast here in Texas. Yes.
an improbable election victory over an incredibly popular Governor who had previously won all 248- every single county- in a statewide election for Governor.
Yes, votes from the valley put Landslide Lyndon in his senate seat. Purchased votes. In such an obviously crooked election there was an investigation launched, by request of the LBJ opponent for this senate seat, the great Coke Stephenson, the- "self-made man".
However,remember, that both, sides were guilty of stealing ballots.
An election investigation into this south Texas election begun in D.C. was quelled by powers that were, in the Capitol.
From the very top.

We now live in Lyndon Johnson's world. The entire country was dramatically changed, drastically altered
after the passage of so much liberal stuff during this country changing tenure. In fact the Dept. of HUD was signed into Law by LBJ. You know who is in there now and Henry C. was in there of course. The fair housing act alone changed the "color" of the landscape of San Antonio. If you know what I mean.
The world that Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, Carter, Reagan, Bush(es), and Clinton contributed to is a far cry from the original concept, too far, in the eyes of many. The last U S President to leave office with a ZERO national debt, was Andrew Jackson! THAT is the world that is Gone, But Not Forgotten!

Old 04-29-2015, 09:17 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,935,079 times
Quote:
Are you sure she danced nude?
KInda funny. She was dancing in the nude while the gendarmes downtown were trying to figure out how to stop her. It was in all of the newspapers here and on TV. I saw her several times in the buff......although she did have pasties with tassles on. So I guess she'd be right, she wasn't nude.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:24 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,783,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
KInda funny. She was dancing in the nude while the gendarmes downtown were trying to figure out how to stop her. It was in all of the newspapers here and on TV. I saw her several times in the buff......although she did have pasties with tassles on. So I guess she'd be right, she wasn't nude.
Gotcha...The article made her seem like a very classy woman despite her career choice. Thanks for the bit of history there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio