Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2015, 06:08 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,393,678 times

Advertisements

I thought that elephant statue, remembered it, being much , much, larger. From the early sixties Rancho Drive..
Tanks. Never thought I'd see this concrete elephant again. I was very small. Very Interesting web page from MYSA, SATX, particularly the Hurricane Carla Headline from the "Express"...stirred some memories. I remember along with "the elephant in front of the Library" also the Hurricane Carla landfall as a small child, it was quite a spectacle to experience so it has embedded itself ,engraved, into the memory. So powerful was it that I still remember well the very darkened skies in the middle of the afternoon. The light seemed late dusk already vs. the usually brilliant skies of Texas at 3:30 in the afternoon
Don't , of course, know how powerful the winds were back then but I can remember watching out the window of my parents home, these winds bending a Chinaberry tree over -ninety degrees until the trunk and branches were parallel to the ground. Never experienced anything like it since. Surprisingly the little tree 20 foot tree held.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 11:32 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,864,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchodrive View Post
...actually this is what I was referring to:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...,d.b2w&cad=rjt
Just pulling your leg.. I do remember the cows just not where they were located.
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
I thought that elephant statue, remembered it, being much , much, larger. From the early sixties Rancho Drive..
Tanks. Never thought I'd see this concrete elephant again. I was very small. Very Interesting web page from MYSA, SATX, particularly the Hurricane Carla Headline from the "Express"...stirred some memories. I remember along with "the elephant in front of the Library" also the Hurricane Carla landfall as a small child, it was quite a spectacle to experience so it has embedded itself ,engraved, into the memory. So powerful was it that I still remember well the very darkened skies in the middle of the afternoon. The light seemed late dusk already vs. the usually brilliant skies of Texas at 3:30 in the afternoon
Don't , of course, know how powerful the winds were back then but I can remember watching out the window of my parents home, these winds bending a Chinaberry tree over -ninety degrees until the trunk and branches were parallel to the ground. Never experienced anything like it since. Surprisingly the little tree 20 foot tree held.
I remember Carla well huckster. We frequented Padre Island and the Intra-coastal bridge area back then. I remember the aftermath. Cars strewn out in the dunes, bait houses wrecked and damage to Bob Hall Pier. My father actually hired a man from "Wright's" bait stand and employed him for 10-15 years. "Wright's" was destroyed ....replaced by "Pipes" I believe. "Rush's" across the street or the bridge, I forget now.

In the early 80's I traveled down to Rockport to help board up my employer's place in "City by the Sea" next door to the Hasslochers. I forget the name of that hurricane but it did rip the roof off a close neighbor to my employer. Retrieved some brass trophy reels and mounted ducks and such and returned to SA. Not sure where their Bertram yacht was kept then.

Padre had the cement 3 sided cabanas near Bob Hall Pier and the restaurant on the beach with the waste-water facility right behind it. I assume the restaurant was lost as well as the waste-water plant. Carla was a huge event to me as well.

Old 05-16-2015, 11:35 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,621,444 times
Quote:
I visited Collins-Garden elementary a few years ago.
The classroom I attended was still there when I was 9 yrs.
The old wooden desks with the inkwells on top were gone.
The classroom looked so small .
As I was leaving,
I bent down to tie my shoelaces.
I looked up....
the classroom was the size as I remembered
when I was a kid...

Old 05-16-2015, 11:44 AM

If you two attended Collins Garden Elementary you must recall the Corral/Coral Motel sign over I-35 at Nogalitos. Is the church up there the old Motel building or was it razed? I lost track over the years. That old sign was one of the first coming into downtown from the south. Then the ButterCrust sign near the Stockyards. Old biking buddy of mine lived on Drake.

Or is this where it once stood?

https://goo.gl/maps/FUhHY

Old 05-16-2015, 04:00 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,621,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
If you two attended Collins Garden Elementary you must recall the Corral/Coral Motel sign over I-35 at Nogalitos. Is the church up there the old Motel building or was it razed? I lost track over the years. That old sign was one of the first coming into downtown from the south. Then the ButterCrust sign near the Stockyards. Old biking buddy of mine lived on Drake.

Or is this where it once stood?

https://goo.gl/maps/FUhHY
I don't know what school the other person may have attended.

But about a year ago or so, I found a girl who was in the
5th grade at Collins Garden who was in the same class with me.
She still lives in that old neighborhood.
The old Coral Motel I remember, was overlooking I-35 & nearby was
Tommy's. The motel is gone.
My best buddy lived on Taft & my girlfriend on Cumberland.
If you lived in this area, you must remember the strong aroma that
would come from the Stockyards !

Old 05-16-2015, 09:09 PM

Default The Corral,

I remember that sign alright. What about the old red and white checkered cement water towers in air bases around here with the enormous horizontal red and green colored spot lamps mounted on the top that circled round and round endlessly? I remember as a kid being able to see the beam from these spotlamps passing overhead in the darkness of night. The Crickets or cicadas and their never ending noises.
Loop 13 was the inner Loop -also remembered-The The kroshal motel, El Tejas motel, $3.00 Motel on South Presa near Southcross.

Recollected here on this thread before was the calf-roping neon sign downtown atop Joske's Dept. store.
Someone posted a picture, maybe it was trapper.
The aroma of the stockyards, yea, and the noise and smell of diesel exhaust from the old smoke- belching detroit diesel city buses as they accelerated away leaving behind black fumes. Frost Bank and Transit Tower were the only tall buildings that I remember. Nix Hospital. Stores downtown still had wooden floors in them. Woolworth had bins and baskets of five and dime items along side the entrance and a lunch counter at the back.
Always the oppressive temperatures, but the only place the heat seemed unbearable was in the school class rooms. Still I remember that more than anything else singularly from SAISD. A ridiculous learning environment. The long cement water troughs outside elementary schools that endlessly spouted water straight up in the air 6" high from ten or twelve horizontally perforated pipes.
Heck it seemed cool outdoors compared to the inside of those classrooms.

San Antone had inadequate storm drainage infrastructure too back then, so there were always low water crossings in various areas around the city. Where we lived on the southeast side it would always flood down the end of the street with water coursing swiftly southward at the crossroad at the end of the block. Two, sometimes three feet deep it would get as the water would tear down Blackwood rd and it would become impassable and so; there was always a car stranded as people back then also, would try to cross the flooded low water crossing and not make it across.
Even as a kid I remember thinking , how dumb is that (?) when I would see all these people wading back from their stalled car, rain pounding all over them- soaking wet...with debris floating by their cars. It was a game for we kids for years,entertainment really. Like a reality show, all the time we lived there on S.A.'s southeast side there near Brooks Field. Watching all these people that would pull up to the flood and think... they "might" make it ,drive ahead and then leave their cars there-in the middle of that flooded street.
They'll do it every time. Optimism wins out.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchodrive View Post
I don't know what school the other person may have attended.

But about a year ago or so, I found a girl who was in the
5th grade at Collins Garden who was in the same class with me.
She still lives in that old neighborhood.
The old Coral Motel I remember, was overlooking I-35 & nearby was
Tommy's. The motel is gone.
My best buddy lived on Taft & my girlfriend on Cumberland.
If you lived in this area, you must remember the strong aroma that
would come from the Stockyards !
I sorta thought it was gone. Hard to recall through all the years just how it was situated. But it was there until later 70's or 80's i think. The old Neon Coral Motel sign couldn't be missed.

Never lived in the area but I worked at the Stockyards back in 72'- 73'. The smell more likely was from P&M Products fermenting grains. I had to work with a hangover most days smelling that all day. Smelled like a brewery. Swift next door and then all the other packing houses back behind the yards on Brazos added to the aroma. Still can't believe the Stockyards are gone. I knew everyone there. Met folks from all over Texas and met fed brand inspectors and chatted with Bill Cunningham that did the Cattle Chatter column for the paper here. Even got my name in the papers after a cattle breakout once. Those were the days.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:43 PM

Quote:
I remember that sign alright. What about the old red and white checkered cement water towers in air bases around here with the enormous horizontal red and green colored spot lamps mounted on the top that circled round and round endlessly? I remember as a kid being able to see the beam from these spotlamps passing overhead in the darkness of night. The Crickets or cicadas and their never ending noises.
Loop 13 was the inner Loop -also remembered-The The kroshal motel, El Tejas motel, $3.00 Motel on South Presa near Southcross.

Recollected here on this thread before was the calf-roping neon sign downtown atop Joske's Dept. store.
Someone posted a picture, maybe it was trapper.
The aroma of the stockyards, yea, and the noise and smell of diesel exhaust from the old smoke- belching detroit diesel city buses as they accelerated away leaving behind black fumes. Frost Bank and Transit Tower were the only tall buildings that I remember. Nix Hospital. Stores downtown still had wooden floors in them. Woolworth had bins and baskets of five and dime items along side the entrance and a lunch counter at the back.
Always the oppressive temperatures, but the only place the heat seemed unbearable was in the school class rooms. Still I remember that more than anything else singularly from SAISD. A ridiculous learning environment. The long cement water troughs outside elementary schools that endlessly spouted water straight up in the air 6" high from ten or twelve horizontally perforated pipes.
Heck it seemed cool outdoors compared to the inside of those classrooms.

San Antone had inadequate storm drainage infrastructure too back then, so there were always low water crossings in various areas around the city. Where we lived on the southeast side it would always flood down the end of the street with water coursing swiftly southward at the crossroad at the end of the block. Two, sometimes three feet deep it would get as the water would tear down Blackwood rd and it would become impassable and so; there was always a car stranded as people back then also, would try to cross the flooded low water crossing and not make it across.
Even as a kid I remember thinking , how dumb is that (?) when I would see all these people wading back from their stalled car, rain pounding all over them- soaking wet...with debris floating by their cars. It was a game for we kids for years,entertainment really. Like a reality show, all the time we lived there on S.A.'s southeast side there near Brooks Field. Watching all these people that would pull up to the flood and think... they "might" make it ,drive ahead and then leave their cars there-in the middle of that flooded street.
They'll do it every time. Optimism wins out.
The ugly old Krosh-al Motel still there after all these years. Been there 60 years or more. Even Wal-Mart couldn't displace them. El Tejas infamous after the shootout there. Glad to see the Indian folk dressing up and rebuilding many of these old eyesore motels. Building new ones as well on Roosevelt.

Love all the development at Brooks City Case but hate to see the old base vanishing bit by bit. I have at least been documenting and learning a lot about it. Even been in on a live run of the centrifuge that has seen service by many astronauts and pilots.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:41 AM

Default Judge Wood,

Worse than the Tejas Motel capture ( I had forgotten about that arrest completely) was the murder of Judge Wood back in the eighties.
Distinct Irony was there for the part Woody Harrelson played in the movie "No Country for Old Men ", because of the part his dad had in the murder of Judge Wood and also the southwest Texas setting of the film.
The film "There Will be Blood" and "No country for Old Men" were filmed simultaneously near Marfa
and Del Rio and Big Bend. So close by each other were these movies made that the smoke from the oil rig fire of the Daniel Day Lewis film could be seen from the "Old Men" movie set.

"The two Burials of Melquiades Estrada was also a very good film from our vicinity. A Cannes Film Festival award winner. Best Actor and Best Screen play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
The ugly old Krosh-al Motel still there after all these years. Been there 60 years or more. Even Wal-Mart couldn't displace them. El Tejas infamous after the shootout there. Glad to see the Indian folk dressing up and rebuilding many of these old eyesore motels. Building new ones as well on Roosevelt.

Love all the development at Brooks City Case but hate to see the old base vanishing bit by bit. I have at least been documenting and learning a lot about it. Even been in on a live run of the centrifuge that has seen service by many astronauts and pilots.

Old 05-18-2015, 01:27 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,436,948 times
Was the Corral motel by where Tommy's is it? Been awhile since it was around.

I do remember the Winn's on nogalitos when it was first at what is now an abandon furniture store, then I think in the late 70's it moved next to HEB. You could never go wrong with the popcorn from Winn's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio