Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2015, 09:35 PM

457 posts, read 661,730 times

Advertisements

Does anyone remember the Eastwood Country Club? It was THE nightspot for live Rock & Roll/Rhythm & Blues in it's day (1950's).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 10:29 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,938,069 times
Eastwood was still jumpin' pretty high into the 70's. Ms Wiggles was the main draw back then. Seems like in the 70's she was in her 60's. She was an experience.

Old 04-17-2015, 12:06 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,621,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basse Bud View Post
Hmmmm. Henry is now a honcho at Univision I inderstand, so what's the story on Linda M. ?
The photo of Mr. Cisneros & me was taken before he went to Univision
where I worked for 28 years. He is no longer with Univision.
I knew him as a very intelligent & kind person. I was always in awe of
his command of Spanish & his ability to express his thoughts completely
in one language & switch to another without hesitation or mistakes.
I have no story on Linda M.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:07 AM

I'm surprised the Eastwood survived into the 1970's. It was well regarded by many as THE place to see many name R & B performers in the 1950's - 60's. While I'm unfamiliar with Ms Wiggles (but can imagine her act, based on her title! )

The one thing that always impressed me was in the 1950's - early 60's, The patrons of the Eastwood Country Club, did regard it as their Country Club, by dressing properly; men in coats and ties, women in dresses. But again this was a time when folks did that, respecting fellow patrons by respecting themselves and dressing while attending a notable event.
( Yes, Little Richard and his Band at the Eastwood Country Club WAS a notable event ....AAAAHHHHHH! - online attempt to recreate Little Richards' trademark scream !)

The roster of performers who played the Eastwood over the years would rival any ballroom/concert venue in any city in the country, from Duke Ellington to Cab Callaway to the above mentioned "Bronze Liberace" !

Old 04-23-2015, 12:13 AM

Thanks, Rancho,

Henry C's Dad was a career military man, if I remember correctly. Linda M and Mr. C are a story in and of itself.

BTW, I would not be surprised at all when Mrs. Clinton prevails on Henry to join her in her run at the White House. (NOT A POLITICAL COMMENT just an observation of S A history!)

Old 04-23-2015, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basse Bud View Post
Thanks, Rancho,

Henry C's Dad was a career military man, if I remember correctly. Linda M and Mr. C are a story in and of itself.

BTW, I would not be surprised at all when Mrs. Clinton prevails on Henry to join her in her run at the White House. (NOT A POLITICAL COMMENT just an observation of S A history!)
Basse Bud, this might sound like name-dropping, but it was only because of the nature of my job in
the news that gave me the opportunity to meet Henry B. Gonzalez & Cesar Chavez. Men that I hold
in high regard. I always sympathized with H.B.G. (Jr.)... he would see me coming for an interview
(in Spanish) & I could see the pained look of frustration. lol.
And I could listen to Henry Guerra speak for hours & never get tired of that beautiful voice.

Last edited by ranchodrive; 04-23-2015 at 01:32 AM..

Old 04-23-2015, 09:41 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,938,069 times
Ms Wiggles was well known here for nude dancing. Sounds kinda trashy but she did it with class. Eastwood attracted the likes of Etta James and the great Fats Domino several times. Curley Mays was also a regular. Only place I can ever say I've been in my travels that there was never an issue or trouble from the crowd of any kind.
Ms Wiggles causes a lot of issues downtown with her nude dancing. It was the cause of outlawing nude dancing. She went from nude to outfits with lots of hanging jewelry to fly in the wind as she "danced" on her head. She was an experience.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:30 AM

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...91427555,d.b2w

Rest in Peace Ms. Wiggles !

Old 04-23-2015, 01:24 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,784,667 times
What an interesting woman with a colorful past. Thanks for the link ranchdrive.

Old 04-24-2015, 05:57 AM

4,132 posts, read 7,199,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Ms Wiggles was well known here for nude dancing. Sounds kinda trashy but she did it with class. Eastwood attracted the likes of Etta James and the great Fats Domino several times. Curley Mays was also a regular. Only place I can ever say I've been in my travels that there was never an issue or trouble from the crowd of any kind.
Ms Wiggles causes a lot of issues downtown with her nude dancing. It was the cause of outlawing nude dancing. She went from nude to outfits with lots of hanging jewelry to fly in the wind as she "danced" on her head. She was an experience.
Just in case you're wondering where this place (the picture) is:

SMILIN BUDDHA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio