Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2014, 09:14 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,393,678 times

Advertisements

I remember the names listed above, wrestlers- Wahoo McDaniels,(a wild Indian) Von Erich( a German), The Freebirds, Mil Mascaras ( man of a thousand masks) etc. and even attended of those small time professional "rassling" "matches" down at the Municipal auditorium. I must have been twenty years old. We had come by the tickets, free, so all we paid for was the gasoline to reach downtown from the Loop 410 area. It was certainly a memorable spectacle that I can still, remember from that night.
The entertainment was as much about the audience as it was the about violence on the mat above, in the ring. Ringside spectators acted as menacingly toward the professional wrestlers as the wrestlers were acting toward each other.. There was plenty of ongoing Screaming and hollering at the men inside the ring and meanwhile ....plenty of Lone Star Beer flowed freely out of the 12 oz. white plastic cups with the single large Lone Red star printed on their outsides. It was a very bizarre scene indeed. The audience behavior is actually my strongest memory from attending that event. In fact I do not even remember the wrestling. At all. It seemed unremarkable compared to the audience behaviors.

I watched a little old lady, who must have weighed 100 lbs., out of her seat and on her feet and screaming
at this huge guy( can't even remember which wrestler it was, so remarkable of a scene was it). You could not hear what she was screaming over the bedlam but her face was contorted as if she were in a rage. What satisfaction she got from this, I have never figured out. The wrestler meanwhile hung out bodily, stretching out over the top rope his contorted face showing an outrage right back seemingly as great as the little old lady's, leering and screaming right back at her as though he was about to come out of the ring and assault her. The tiny old lady wanted in on the act.
Another very small hispanic fellow ( 120 lbs.) was up on his feet - standing- on top of one of those old flimsy folding chairs that had been put up temporarily in the center floor of the auditorium around the ring. While one of his hands grasped his crotch the other hand was was upheld with his middle finger pointed at the wrestlers - screaming who knew what.
It was better than Barnum and Bailey's three ring circus. One heck of a memorable night in San Antonio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 06:47 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,436,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchodrive View Post
Mr. Rodriquez. I believe, was with Telemundo in San Antonio back then.
A really nice gentleman.
He was talked many times with him at the junction, do you know if he is still alive?

Old 12-28-2014, 11:18 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,621,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
He was talked many times with him at the junction, do you know if he is still alive?
I will check with Mr. Morin. He started in this business way back & knows
all of them. He is like a library of San Antonio the way it used to be &
remembers names & places I have forgotten.
If any one knows, he does.But first...

"Stay tuned after this message from your sponsor"

Insert your favorite commercial !

Lone Star, Falstaff beer------
Lucky Strikes, Pall Mall cigarettes -----
Centeno's Food Market !
K-mart.....(attention K-Mart shoppers,buy 1dozen donuts & get one dozen free)
Solo-Serve ( Will not be undersold)
La Feria
etc-etc-etc

All brought to you in living "black & white" with no remote & only a couple
of stations.

sorry...I get carried away !

Old 12-29-2014, 01:38 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,621,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
I was told by one of his friends that he passed away two years ago.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,025 times
Smile CKC racing team

Quote:
Originally Posted by *mud* View Post
CKC Racing.....
Fritz Callier (driver) J.E. Kristek (wrench) Buddy Cortinez (money)...
if I remember correctly.

they're still around.

I'll post some more pictures from my archives, if interested.

edit to add,
the CKC shop you mention here is a few blocks north of the Norman Ploch location you asked about a while back.
Can anyone tell me whether the CKC team came N and won the Mr Chevrolet meet at old US 30 Gary, In in around 1969 or so. I seem to remember they were the surprise winner that Sunday.

David

Old 12-31-2014, 06:26 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,436,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchodrive View Post
I was told by one of his friends that he passed away two years ago.
I know Steve Stack the English announcer died a few years ago, I recall hearing Rapido's son passed away early this year.

Old 12-31-2014, 07:30 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,938,069 times
CKC sold the Nova built by Thomas back in 1968 to Roy Doyan. He raced the car thru 1970. It's supposedly is being being restored to CKC dress but that's been a while back. I don't recall CKC traveling that far but then I wasn't a best friend to know everything they did.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:28 PM

305 posts, read 1,619,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
I remember the names listed above, wrestlers- Wahoo McDaniels,(a wild Indian) Von Erich( a German), The Freebirds, Mil Mascaras ( man of a thousand masks) etc. and even attended of those small time professional "rassling" "matches" down at the Municipal auditorium. I must have been twenty years old. We had come by the tickets, free, so all we paid for was the gasoline to reach downtown from the Loop 410 area. It was certainly a memorable spectacle that I can still, remember from that night.
The entertainment was as much about the audience as it was the about violence on the mat above, in the ring. Ringside spectators acted as menacingly toward the professional wrestlers as the wrestlers were acting toward each other.. There was plenty of ongoing Screaming and hollering at the men inside the ring and meanwhile ....plenty of Lone Star Beer flowed freely out of the 12 oz. white plastic cups with the single large Lone Red star printed on their outsides. It was a very bizarre scene indeed. The audience behavior is actually my strongest memory from attending that event. In fact I do not even remember the wrestling. At all. It seemed unremarkable compared to the audience behaviors.

I watched a little old lady, who must have weighed 100 lbs., out of her seat and on her feet and screaming
at this huge guy( can't even remember which wrestler it was, so remarkable of a scene was it). You could not hear what she was screaming over the bedlam but her face was contorted as if she were in a rage. What satisfaction she got from this, I have never figured out. The wrestler meanwhile hung out bodily, stretching out over the top rope his contorted face showing an outrage right back seemingly as great as the little old lady's, leering and screaming right back at her as though he was about to come out of the ring and assault her. The tiny old lady wanted in on the act.
Another very small hispanic fellow ( 120 lbs.) was up on his feet - standing- on top of one of those old flimsy folding chairs that had been put up temporarily in the center floor of the auditorium around the ring. While one of his hands grasped his crotch the other hand was was upheld with his middle finger pointed at the wrestlers - screaming who knew what.
It was better than Barnum and Bailey's three ring circus. One heck of a memorable night in San Antonio.
Heh, I saw Wahoo McDaniel with Cowboy Scott Casey and Tulley Blanchard in Del Rio. We were on a high school golfing trip and they were at the Del Rio Civic Center. What a blast. That little old lady was legendary. She showed up on TV a few times when one of the local stations would brodcast wrestling.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:49 PM

305 posts, read 1,619,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlyjames View Post
Was delighted to find this online. My family owned Pen Foods. It was developed by my father, Norman Pentecost, who grew up in NYC and wanted to provide a vast wine selection including very fine wines, as well as Prime grade beef, fine meats and an awesome fresh seafood collection for San Antonio shoppers. Our city's residents had a great deal of travel, especially with the military related population, and he knew what it was like to crave something but never be able to find that product again - with that goal he developed Pen Foods, which was located in the Grandview Shopping Centre at San Antonio's Callaghan and I-10 East. Dad's fine foods but down to earth approach was behind my advertising jingle of "Corn Flakes to Quail" - Pen Foods truly did "have it all". Scratch bakery; full service floral department with full time very talented and remarkable floral designers. Pen Foods was a fully independent retail operation. A second location was opened to the north in New Braunfels, Texas, a short time after the flagship store in San Antonio.

Pen Foods was the location for many fun events in addition to being something akin to a museum of food for sale. We'd see people all the time in Pen Foods that seemed anxious to meet (I think the place had the reputation of being a good meeting spot) but so often people seemed shy, too. So we put on a "Single's Night" which turned out to be jaw dropping in results - the Fire Marshall arrived to count people coming out before they would allow more to go in. News media came out to cover it almost like the Papal Visit (dare I say that?!) - filled to capacity didn't describe the event, but give people lots of interactive activities that will force them to talk in order to participate and laugh when they do - and shy goes out the window

Staff in so many ways really DID become family. It was a great store, a great city back then as it is now, and I still hear from folks who fondly remember my Father, my family, and Pen Foods; the store so often still spoken of in wistful tones as is the venerable old Frost Brothers of San Antonio. Which was very fine company indeed.
My family always liked going there. A unique experience.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,365 times
Moments ago I previewed a post re: Tiner's Ice Cream trucks. This post brought back a memory of a time of innocence and trust. My abuelita owned her home on Ruiz and N. Zarzamora Sts.back in the 50's. My cousin Georgy and I often would sneak away to Tiner's Creamery located at this intersection. The guys working on the platform where they replenished the delivery trucks, often had extra boxes of ice cream goodies leftover and we were gifted boxes of ice cream sandwiches and ice cream cups. We both gleefully walked away with our treats. Our innocence or vulnerability was never compromised. Sadly, our children will one day appreciate our past as we do now:-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio