Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2014, 09:41 PM

457 posts, read 661,730 times

Advertisements

I don't recall the color of the bus/student passes, but a one-way trip, with transfers, was a nickel.

I also remember the "pet department" in the basement, including the turtles, chicks, hamsters, white mice and of course
the fish.

The decade of the 50's was probably the last time pre-teens could safely be left unattended in downtown S A.

NorthStar Mall was my first mall experience, and that was in 1960. By that time, unaccompanied kids were becoming
a rarity.

My only negative experience as an unaccompanied early teen occurred when I was foolish enough to short-cut from Houston to Commerce by way of the then unimproved river walk. Fortunately I was faster than the 'chukos who demanded I give them my money. Besides, they couldn't run very fast in their Stacy Adams pointed toe tangerine colored 'choos! Soon after, I visited the Chicago Jewelry and Loan on Houston, and acquired my first "banana knife", so that I was equally armed as the hang-arounds in the shoe shine parlors and the snooker/pool hall in the basement of the Majestic/Empire building. ( Yes, the pool hall was the only place one could obtain those "unmentionables" from the .25 cent vending machine in the mens room without drawing attention to the purchase!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 12:10 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,621,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basse Bud View Post

My only negative experience as an unaccompanied early teen occurred when I was foolish enough to short-cut from Houston to Commerce by way of the then unimproved river walk. Fortunately I was faster than the 'chukos who demanded I give them my money. Besides, they couldn't run very fast in their Stacy Adams pointed toe tangerine colored 'choos!

I must confess, I owned a pair of "tangerine choos" when I was in high school.
But I was never a member of gangs. I thought that it was a "cool" color.
I was just a kid... & didn't know better...
I'm not able to load this link.
But if you enter " Vintage San Antonio - a photo history "
on your search mode,
there are many photos of San Antonio from way back.
It's like opening a photo album from the past. Enjoy !

Old 09-27-2014, 07:49 PM

I too owned a pair of "Razor ridge toed" shoes in the day. (They really weren't designed for running, but by then I'd learned not to use the river walk as a short cut..!

Yes, I've visited the site you mentioned. Great old images!

Incidentally, do you happen to remember the Fun N' Magic shop on St. Marys, next to the Green Gate and across the street from the Bluebonnet Hotel? He later relocated to a store across the street from Joskeys (on the south side of the street... torn down as Hemisfare evolved.)

Old 09-27-2014, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basse Bud View Post

Do you happen to remember the Fun N' Magic shop on St. Marys, next to the Green Gate and across the street from the Bluebonnet Hotel? He later relocated to a store across the street from Joske's (on the south side of the street... torn down as Hemisfare evolved.)
Can't say I remember the Fun N' Magic shop !

The Green Gate "strip club", I do...but too young to go downstairs...

Almost forgot...
The State Theater located on Flores St. downtown next to Stowers Furniture store.

This theater had an enclosed glass room for viewing the movie.
It was made for families who brought their kids or crying babies.
No kidding !

Old 09-28-2014, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchodrive View Post
Can't say I remember the Fun N' Magic shop !

The Green Gate "strip club", I do...but too young to go downstairs...

Almost forgot...
The State Theater located on Flores St. downtown next to Stowers Furniture store.
UPDATE
State theater was located on 207-209 N. Main Avenue.
Was closed in the 50s & demolished to provide parking space for the Stowers
Furniture Co. store, located next door.
http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/26083/photos]Photos of State Theater in San Antonio, TX - Cinema Treasures

Amazing is the James Bicycle Co. nearby on Main. It was established in
the 1920s & is still in business.
I used to have a Western Flyer X-53 bicycle which I received for Christmas in
1954 . It was purchased @ Western Auto Store in San Antonio.
I don't recall what happened to the bike.
http://www.prices4antiques.com/Bicyc...-D9761444.html
Several years ago, I located a similar bike @ James Bicycle shop !

Last edited by elnina; 10-23-2014 at 01:49 PM.. Reason: Please STOP posting copyrighted pictures. post links instead.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:47 PM

There were several theaters that had the glass-enclosed "cry rooms", most were the suburban theatres, i.e. Laurel, Olmos and I believe the Woodlawn (if memory serves.... and it may not)

I remember The State Theater, however I never went there.

RE: Fun and Magic Shop, the proximity to the Green Gate was interesting. The guy who ran Fun N' Magic on St. Marys was something of a reprobate, in that he carried decks of playing cards with scantily clad models on the back of the cards. (These were not on public display and were only shown/available to those who "lingered" in front of the Green Gate and "appreciated" the photos of the "performers" on the sandwich-board marquee) This was also the first time many young, would-be Green Gate (too young to get in) patrons were introduced to a honest-to-goodness "Dirty Old Man"!

Old 10-06-2014, 07:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,910 times
Frisky's A Go Go was on the same street as the Joy Theater. I remember while attending Fox Tech me and some friends played hooky by watching a James Bond movie at the Texas Theater those were really the good old days.

Old 10-16-2014, 05:48 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,393,678 times
Default Remember Diptheria ?

In 1970 when mass innoculations were given to a San Antonians of serum, free of charge, at Harry Freeman Colliseum? For Diptheria? I think I remember it was called a Diptheria epidemic ? Everyone, got a shot.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:27 PM

847 posts, read 2,233,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
In 1970 when mass innoculations were given to a San Antonians of serum, free of charge, at Harry Freeman Colliseum? For Diptheria? I think I remember it was called a Diptheria epidemic ? Everyone, got a shot.
mass inoculations??

don't remember it.

try posting this in Gone But Not Forgotten.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:47 PM

Default Terrell Plaza is gone???

Noticed a real estate comment that stated Terrell Plaza is no more! Another wrecking-ball victim of
progress? Sad to see ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio