Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2014, 02:33 AM

457 posts, read 661,730 times

Advertisements

Mud,

Great job on the restored planters!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 09:15 PM

235 posts, read 424,585 times
yes. that is it.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:24 AM

While the topic is GBNF, how about these?

Big red ants! Remember those? Or, how about horn toads? Any of them still around?
Or, the green, blue, pink striped lizards that used to occupy almost every vacant lot in town?

Have not seen any of these in years. (admittedly, these were found on the advancing edge of civilization back when
SA was still the somewhat sleepy town so many wish it had remained.)

Old 07-14-2014, 12:44 AM

Ah, yes, the butterfly and the lightning bug. Other seemingly GBNF items. (unless they are still around SA).

Are the previously mentioned ants, Horn Toad and lizards still around?

Old 07-14-2014, 01:29 AM

1,710 posts, read 4,136,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basse Bud View Post

Big red ants! Remember those? Or, how about horn toads? Any of them still around?
Or, the green, blue, pink striped lizards that used to occupy almost every vacant lot in town?

Have not seen any of these in years. (admittedly, these were found on the advancing edge of civilization back when

The last time I saw a horny toad (as we called them as kids) was in El Paso around 1991 or so. He was basking in the sun in the middle of a busy street. I caught him, and took him out to the desert and turned him loose. Horny toads were very common while I was growing up in the late 50s and 60s. I was able to catch a few every day on the site where West Avenue Elementary School now stands. There were lots of red ants there too. That was the horny toad's favorite meal. Those striped lizards were common there, too, but they were so fast I rarely could catch one. I always released all the critters I caught as a child. I knew they made lousy pets, and were hard to feed.

I heard that the horny toad's demise is being caused by highways, because they like to bask in the heat on them, they blend with the road, and get run over, and because of fire ants doing away with red ants, and also fire ants killing baby horny toads when they hatch and are young. I know fire ants really prey on hatchling desert box turtles that were prevalent in west Texas and Southern New Mexico.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_horned_lizard

Old 07-14-2014, 07:03 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,590,580 times
I think the striped lizards are making a comeback. I have seen quite a few this summer. We get lightning bugs every summer in my back yard. Maybe some day the horney toads will return but they have been gone fore some time now.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:22 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,621,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
The last time I saw a horny toad (as we called them as kids) was in El Paso around 1991 or so. He was basking in the sun in the middle of a busy street. I caught him, and took him out to the desert and turned him loose. Horny toads were very common while I was growing up in the late 50s and 60s. I was able to catch a few every day on the site where West Avenue Elementary School now stands. There were lots of red ants there too. That was the horny toad's favorite meal. Those striped lizards were common there, too, but they were so fast I rarely could catch one. I always released all the critters I caught as a child. I knew they made lousy pets, and were hard to feed.

I heard that the horny toad's demise is being caused by highways, because they like to bask in the heat on them, they blend with the road, and get run over, and because of fire ants doing away with red ants, and also fire ants killing baby horny toads when they hatch and are young. I know fire ants really prey on hatchling desert box turtles that were prevalent in west Texas and Southern New Mexico.

Texas horned lizard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I used to see the horny toads on my way to school on the west side in the
open fields . But no more.
The ones that gave me a pain were "las avispas amarillas"...
....wow could they sting !

And those are still around...

btw: It's too early but I believe around August the "chicharras" come out.
Locusts that make a whirring sound...i guess you might call it that.
They always remind me of Laredo. Another thing is the Laredo roaches
are reddish brown...I'm more used to my SA ones. They are a darker brown.
The big ones scare the beejeevus out of me . Especially at night when I imagine
them crawling on my face. No...I don't have a roach problem like I did when I
lived on the west side. But when it rains or it gets super hot the big ones from
the outside seek cooler temperatures inside the house.

Last edited by ranchodrive; 07-14-2014 at 01:36 PM..

Old 07-16-2014, 02:28 PM

As it appears, the ants, toads and lizards are all but gone, too bad.

However, the observation regarding roaches is not surprising. A neighbor who worked
at the Nevada Test Site during the above-ground test (blast!) says that the only living
creatures within the immediate fallout area to survive were roaches! Somehow, that
does not surprise me.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:54 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,504,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basse Bud View Post

Don't forget about the roadrunners!
We used to see them all the time running thru the yard when I was a kid.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,435 times
I was at Wonderland to see Bobby Vee that year!! I was sooo excited! LOL I went to Longfellow at the time...then on to Jefferson thru graduation....Yes, Edge Falls, GARNER State Park, Landa in New Braunfels....fun times, GREAT music!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio