Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2013, 05:14 PM

235 posts, read 424,585 times

Advertisements

i never got a chance to go to hemisfair. i was in the military(us navy) getting 'edumacated' about the viet nam war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 05:31 PM

847 posts, read 2,233,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylpearson View Post

here is what brooks city base and s.e. military look like today.

Southeast Military Drive And Brooks City Base-2013 Video by Darryl_Glen_Pearson | Photobucket
knock knock.

and another knock....

darryl....

this thread is GONE but not forgotten..

what brooks city base and s.e. military look like today

would go here....

SAN ANTONIO - Official Photo Thread for San Antonio & Surrounding Communities!

Old 04-25-2013, 07:22 PM

came home on leave from the navy in 1968. went downtown to tonys mirror shine. by the time he got thru with my shoes, i had to put on my sunglasses to walk down the street.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:38 PM

Default downtown san antonio

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
The main complaint about Hemisfair was the way it further cutoff the Eastside. With the S. Alamo entrance only traffic was limited and East Commerce St. businesses suffered.

"Nice front view of the Greyhound Terminal and the Bluebonnet."
Here's another old postcard of the old Greyhound which is still there but modernized.

"The Manhattan restaurant was next to the Majestic, not across from it."
Here's another postcard and that's my mom and grandmother passing in front of the Majestic with Manhattan's sign above the sidewalk. This is an old time sidewalk foto when guys with cameras hung out along busy downtown streets shooting passersby then selling them Real Photo Post Cards of themselves a day or two earlier. Great idea and there must be thousands of these fotos stored away across America and many more stashed in San Antonio closets, albums, and chests of drawers, etc.

Many thanx for all remembering SA's bustling downtown when it was still colorful, crowded and crazy with strip joints, bars, movie-houses, shirt shops, hat shops, shoe shine parlors and many other real people places. Them were the days even with all their blights, bums, bars, shoppers, Sisters, siblings, students, and lots of real San Antonians. Tourists are fine and good for the local economy but the tradeoff seems lopsided.
here are two old photos---this one is my mom @ 19 years old(on the left), in 1948, with my grandma(middle), and a friend of my grandma, somewhere in downtown san antonio. never have figured out where they were.-------http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/Darryl_Glen_Pearson/media/ireneamprubyampdebbie-gill1948_zpsc500cf38.jpg.html

this one is my mom at 17 years old(1946), in front of Durham Business College, on san pedro avenue, downtown san antonio---she was attending Brackenridge High School.
My Mom @ 18 Years Old In 1948(on The Left), With My Grandma(middle), And A Friend Of My Grandma. Somewhere Downtown San Antonio Photo by Darryl_Glen_Pearson | Photobucket

Old 04-25-2013, 10:21 PM

thomas655
i used to bowl at a lot of the alleys you mentioned. when i was about 15-16 years old in high school, i used to bowl doubles with a guy named george brannan. we were a pretty hot team back then. we both carried about a 175-180 average then. we bowled not only in san antonio, but also traveled to fort worth and dallas, and prob. places i have forgotten. we bowled a ton of games, and it was hard to believe that we never got tired. i taught myself to throw a 'hook' back then, and never looked back. once i learned the technique of the finger-tip ball, there was no going back to the conventional way. i always seemed to bowl better under pressure. my trophies are all long gone, but my memories of a great time bowling will always remain.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:30 PM

in the mid to late 70's, there was a bar somewhere around halm blvd and maltsberger. it was called NO LE HACE[spanish for "makes no difference']. a girl i knew at the time started some trouble there and we barely got out of there with basically our lives. told her i wasn't ever going back there. she did not listen. went to look for me one night there, and they were waiting on her. she was kidnapped and was missing from work for 2 days. no one knew where she was. i worked at Best Products at the time. so did she. i got a call from a waitress in Seguin Tx at an old Stuckey's Restaurant. she says some girl there was in bad shape. my boss let me off work, and i drove and picked her up. she had been doped and raped for 2 days. i took her to the hospital. she was ok, but was sick for quite some time. do not know if they ever caught the people responsible for the kidnapping. after that, she was never really the same.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:31 PM

351 posts, read 1,585,672 times
Hello again City Data!

Forgive me if this is a re-post but I found a very similar thread on FaceBook that I thought might interest y'all!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Old 04-25-2013, 10:35 PM

46 posts, read 55,664 times
hmm,,thanks....for share it,,
but i have no any old memories...

Old 04-25-2013, 10:43 PM

here is turner lanes.....
Turner Bowling Lanes-2013 Photo by Darryl_Glen_Pearson | Photobucket

and bexar bowling....
Bexar Bowling Society-2013 Photo by Darryl_Glen_Pearson | Photobucket

Old 04-25-2013, 11:44 PM

went with my son in march 2012. had a ball. then down on the river. and next day out to seaworld. that's the one that killed me. couldn't find a wheelchair. i was done. toast..and i don't mean of the town...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio