Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2013, 11:00 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,818,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by *mud* View Post
yessir. supercharged 409 with 3 four barrels was guzzling that 28 cent a gallon 100 octane at the pump fuel.

as to the valve covers, the 348/409 motors were called porcupine motors.

the 348/409 was the first Chevrolet Large Block motor.

later followed the 396 427 etc etc

they shared the 348/409 lower end, the top end changed.

and now we have the 502 large block.........
Well at 28 cents a gallon who's gonna count.. LOL! Thanks for the info Mud. Here's a beauty in my neighborhood. I thought these were 32' Fords is it actually late 20's??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 03:44 AM

847 posts, read 2,231,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiree2003 View Post
Buddy's Drive In on Vance Jackson Road. A very small place but good. A high school (Robert E. Lee) friend worked there for awhile as a cook. Buddy's sponsored our girl's soft ball team. We wore white shirts with "Buddy's Drive In" printed on the back and blue short shorts. We never won a game but we had fun, singing "This is dedicated to the one I love" in a convertible owned and driven by one of the team to and from games and practices.

That was late 50s, early 60s. Good times.
where was Buddy's at on Vance Jackson??

was the convertible a retractable??

I always wonder what you got if you ordered a peckerwood.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:57 AM

847 posts, read 2,231,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Well at 28 cents a gallon who's gonna count.. LOL! Thanks for the info Mud. Here's a beauty in my neighborhood. I thought these were 32' Fords is it actually late 20's??
yessir that is a beauty.

could be 27 or up to 1931.

the Fords changed radically in 32.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
There was also a porcupine 427 that was and is still a rare engine. It was a longer stroked 409 and came from the factory with 13.5:1 pistons and a single 4 barrel carb of 900 cfms. It was the Z11 option and it also included aluminum front fenders and hood in the package. They are a rare car. This was for the YM 1963 only. Advertised HP was 435 but that was way short of actual output. I've only seen one and saw one for sale about 10 years ago out of Arizona. Amazing the old cars and some of the rare options that you never see. One of the teachers from Highlands unknowingly bought a 1968 Impala with the 435HP 427 ZL-1 Can Am engine with a 4 speed. That package also got him the fiberglas front end and 4.10 gears. And then he wondered why the car ran so good against everything else. Hot Rod mag did a dyno of a stock ZL-1 engine and it pegged out at 540HP.

Bobby Thomas. I heard he died many years ago. Apparently not. I don't suppose you know anything about Roy Holland? It's been about 20 years since I chatted with him. Worked with Buddy Cortinas's brother for a while, about 15 years ago. I'd still love to have that Nova CKC raced back in the day.

And Mud, if you just have the want, I wouldn't mind seeing more of the old drag pics you have. I still haven't found mine...yet. I mean I'd really hate to have to see them but I'd force myself.....if you'd post them......whenever ya got time.....like now would be just fine.
I wasn't aware of the Z11. did a search. interesting...
..... Chevrolet Big-Block engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Bobby is like a cat with nine lives. he's probably down to 3 or 4 left.

last time I saw Roy Holland he was runnin a monster tractor pull machine.

Friend of mine knows where the Nova is and has pix of it all dust covered in a barn.
he won't tell anyone where it is. says the current owner won't sell.
there were only three of those bodies produced.

here are a few more pix

Old 03-28-2013, 01:10 PM

61 posts, read 119,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylpearson View Post
seems like a lot of folks on here get some quick answers. i have something that has been buggin the fool outta me for quite some time. i used to go to a mexican BUFFET restaurant on broadway, in alamo heights. and the name of this place eludes me. it was only open on the weekends. i guess the time frame was in the mid to late 60's. if you are coming from austin highway, and turn south, and head towards town on broadway, the restaurant was on the left side, some where near the broadway theatre. there was not much room for parking. it was a cafeteria style place. kinda reminds one of the now current lubys here in town. all you could eat for about a buck to a buck fifty per person. i am sure someone on here will remember the name. my mind is not as sharp now, so i am looking for a razor strap...(smile)
If I'm no mistaken, the restaurant was Mexiterria, what now is The Lion & Rose Pub. Great place to eat back then. My wife had her maid of honor luncheon there back in the middle 70's,

SAFREAK

Old 03-28-2013, 01:22 PM

61 posts, read 119,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchodrive View Post
According to my wife...the original Teka Molino was on St. Mary's where the
281 freeway near Mulberry area going to the zoo. The Teka Molino, I recall
was down St.Mary's & Ashby then they moved to the other end of St. Mary's
with the nice stucco building. The original was owned by Mr. Arthur Chapa.
My wife went to Ursuline when she remembers the machine that made the
corn tortillas in the front. Bean rolls were her favorite too.
I also remember nearby St. Mary's close to Teka Molino was an old bldg.
store with 100s of old books similar to the one downtown .
Brock's on Commerce St.
I remember Teko Molino as a kid in the 50's and 60's. I think it was Mr. Chapa that would take your order, right it down on a white paper bag with pencil that he always had tucked behind his ear. I even remember that he was left handed. Why do I remember that ??? I do remember the tortilla machine. watching that until your oder was ready. Really cool place. I lived just down the street from there on East Locust st.

SAFREAK

Old 03-28-2013, 01:41 PM

235 posts, read 424,087 times
MEXITERRIA!! thank you SAFREAK. i can grow some new brain cells in that area now....

Old 03-28-2013, 01:50 PM

i knew some people on beryl. The "James"....ronnie james, who is deceased now back in 2011; sandra and pam james, sisters; and another james who was murdered somewhere in california back in the 70's. the mom and dad passed years ago. the house just sits....rotting. the block right off of vance jackson. you can't miss the house. it looks like africa in the bush, it is so overgrown with trees and weeds; mainly bamboo. the carport has almost fallen down. most likely will be condemned by the city. has bees on the INSIDE of the house. would not enter unless you have a bio-hazard suit.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:32 PM

47 posts, read 87,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiree2003 View Post
Buddy's Drive In on Vance Jackson Road. A very small place but good. A high school (Robert E. Lee) friend worked there for awhile as a cook. Buddy's sponsored our girl's soft ball team. We wore white shirts with "Buddy's Drive In" printed on the back and blue short shorts. We never won a game but we had fun, singing "This is dedicated to the one I love" in a convertible owned and driven by one of the team to and from games and practices.

That was late 50s, early 60s. Good times.
Was that Buddy's owned by a guy named Curry?? I think I knew his son if it is the same guy. Billy Curry was the hot shot slot car racer at the Hobby Shop on Latch next to the Guitar place. I think the guitar shop is still there. Down from where I lived on Beryl were the Daura's (I think that is how it is spelled). They had a shoe store in that same strip center as the Hobby Shop. A Pharmacy and an HEB was there too. Oh yes and a Winns where I bought school supplies and Mexican Jumping Beans. Plastic models too.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:12 PM

Retiree...i used to go to the one of vance jackson, right around the beryl/adrain area. i went to the one on fred road too. i used to eat TWO of his chicken fried steaks at one sitting. i went to Lee as well. grad. in '67. i used to have a paper route, and rolled my papers at his place on vance jackson. when i made a "long haul trip", down to vance jackson & fred rd. i would go to the original donut shop. it is still there.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:23 PM

here are the photos from 1970.

San Pedro And Recoleta-1970 Photo by Darryl_Glen_Pearson | Photobucket
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio