Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2012, 02:53 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,432,752 times

Advertisements

Saw race with the devil a few months back, pretty good movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 09:16 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,818,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
I ordered the CD from Amazon. What surprised me was that Dirty Mary Crazy Larry was filmed in part in Lacoste and on the Macdona Lacoste Rd. Lacoste is south west of San Antonio. It is about ten miles west of 1604 and Southwest Highschool. Unlike Potranco road in the "Race with the Devil" movie, Lacoste hasn't changed a bit!
I remembered watching "Race with the Devil" 3 or 4 times on TV many years ago. I wasn't aware back then it was filmed here. Found out here on GBNF couple years or so ago. It was interesting...i'd call it a B grade film. But, then that's the best I could give "Sugarland Express" which was filmed all over my side of town. Macdona and LaCoste are some old familiar places too.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:33 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,390,063 times
Default Movie Scene Scared Hell out of me,Loop 410

I,midmorning in 1970?, eyewitnessed the scene that was filmed at Northside Stadium Parking Lot at 410
and Culebra in the film -Sugarland Express-.
Thirty D.P.S. Trooper Cars, all with red lights flashing seen from Old Potranco Rd. from across Loop 410
was, dramatic.
Years ago when Potranco veered off to the southwest from Ingram rd at its' lowest point, Right where it has always flooded at the dip just past the mall. The area was a garbage dump at the intersection in the late sixties and seventies. A lot of very dumb people would go there and discard all sorts of things from furniture to actual garbage. The usual thing.
I said "Whaaaat, in Hell- has Happened ?" as I witnessed this bizzare scene believing it to be real. "It must be something very serious with all those cops there. " It was an exaggerated movie scene of course, but to see this scenario in person and believe it was a true emergency situation that was actually underway was astonishing. I was truly flabbergasted.
"I don't know what it is, but it must have been something very Big that has happened here."
I got the hell out of the area in a hurry in my 1964 Pontiac LeMans so as to give them as much space as they might need for whatever ,I believed, it was the D.P.S. Officers were trying to do. And... so as not to be caught up in whatever it was that was happening.
Only years later after watching the old movie did I finally realize that I had been duped, the scene was never even real. The scene was so dramatic however, it burned itself into the memory.
I came to this realization only gradually, that it wasn't even real- while watching that very scene in the movie .........Yes, I remember that very happening, hey, it was only a movie. IT WAS FILMED RIGHT IN THE OLD NEIGHBORHOOD.
What were the odds?
I was as amazed at this gradual revelation as I was when I saw it happening firsthand years before.
What a morning that was.
Consider it to be a pretty good movie, anyway, and based on true events.
A couple of very deluded kids on an adventure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
I remembered watching "Race with the Devil" 3 or 4 times on TV many years ago. I wasn't aware back then it was filmed here. Found out here on GBNF couple years or so ago. It was interesting...i'd call it a B grade film. But, then that's the best I could give "Sugarland Express" which was filmed all over my side of town. Macdona and LaCoste are some old familiar places too.

Last edited by huckster; 08-29-2012 at 07:45 AM..

Old 08-29-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
I,midmorning in 1970?, eyewitnessed the scene that was filmed at Northside Stadium Parking Lot at 410
and Culebra in the film -Sugarland Express-.
Thirty D.P.S. Trooper Cars, all with red lights flashing seen from Old Potranco Rd. from across Loop 410
was, dramatic.
Years ago when Potranco veered off to the southwest from Ingram rd at its' lowest point, Right where it has always flooded at the dip just past the mall. The area was a garbage dump at the intersection in the late sixties and seventies. A lot of very dumb people would go there and discard all sorts of things from furniture to actual garbage. The usual thing.
I said "Whaaaat, in Hell- has Happened ?" as I witnessed this bizzare scene believing it to be real. "It must be something very serious with all those cops there. " It was an exaggerated movie scene of course, but to see this scenario in person and believe it was a true emergency situation that was actually underway was astonishing. I was truly flabbergasted.
"I don't know what it is, but it must have been something very Big that has happened here."
I got the hell out of the area in a hurry in my 1964 Pontiac LeMans so as to give them as much space as they might need for whatever ,I believed, it was the D.P.S. Officers were trying to do. And... so as not to be caught up in whatever it was that was happening.
Only years later after watching the old movie did I finally realize that I had been duped, the scene was never even real. The scene was so dramatic however, it burned itself into the memory.
I came to this realization only gradually, that it wasn't even real- while watching that very scene in the movie .........Yes, I remember that very happening, hey, it was only a movie. IT WAS FILMED RIGHT IN THE OLD NEIGHBORHOOD.
What were the odds?
I was as amazed at this gradual revelation as I was when I saw it happening firsthand years before.
What a morning that was.
Consider it to be a pretty good movie, anyway, and based on true events.
A couple of very deluded kids on an adventure.
I have trouble placing a date on the events but here's what I remember. I'm thinking 72' or 73' . My Camaro or my new truck should have been in it. But, at least my cousins and friends car was in it.Steven Spielberg may have been standing 20 or 30 feet away from us if he was on location. My cousins and I stood in their backyard at Forsen and Peterson streets in Patton Heights. I think we were next to the same tree we hung a 40, 60, and 120 lb grouper for a South Texas Sportsman photo. This was a home built by South San H.S. students and lived in by a friend and SAPD vice cop. Only an empty field between it and the home of the Weilbacher family another SAPD officer. The house built by students was used for the scene where the Sheriff lived. Maybe preparing for a hunting trip then called out to the chase. I forget ..been a while since I've watched it. As the car pulls from the driveway the temporary roof mounted light display fell off. I forget if that was a boo boo or was in the film.
The used car lot scene with the motor home was at Ascot and S.W. Military drive. Next to our church and I believe the first McDonalds in SA. McDonalds built where the "Spotted Horse" used to be. Loop 13 Drive-in screen was in full view as it was from our church property. Those were the days. Spielberg soon made Jaws, and then went on to at least have a hand in many of my favorite movies.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:19 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,390,063 times
Default It was only a hunch, SATX,

I did not remember the year I saw the "Sugarland Express" movie being filmed out on the northwest side of town. I do remember that outside of 410 was the very outside edge of town back then. It was the boondocks.
There was absolutely not one thing between Ingram and Culebra back then.
Except for Coyotes and Roadrunners maybe. It surely could flood through there. I don't think there were any flood control dams or retention ponds in existence back then. The water would run so deep there near the intersection of 410 and Culebra, the high bridge just south of that intersection it would nearly reach the underside of the bridge.
In fact a few of my friends, I will mention only one name , he is deceased so it doesn't matter,Mike Cotton,
went on a wild ride on a rubber inflatable raft down Culebra Creek. Just out of high scool there at Holmes these guys came up with a brilliant idea and a hasty ill concieved plan. They would "Shoot the Rapids" just like in Colorado on the Colorado River except it would be down Culebra Creek. They borrowed Hoffman's rubber raft, which he never saw again, it probably wound up in the Gulf and set off "upstream" from Loop 410 someplace. I can't remember where it was they set off from but definitely it was towards an unknown destination.
Immediately they all knew it was a BIG mistake, they were completely out of control and holding on for their lives. S.A.F.D. caught up with them at the High bridge there at loop 410 just south of Culebra and rescued them with a ladder truck, the ladder extended down from the bridge.
1970- 1972 was my best guess. I know they all recieved news coverage and it wasn't their first time.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:41 PM

Before Ingram Mall seems like Alamo Downs old sign and SWRI are all that was out there. But, I didn't get out that way much in the 60's and the 70's are a blur...lots of work back then. I remember when there was still houses and small farm like homes along I-10 west just outside 410. The growth out there off Culebra and Bandera on to Medina Lake is nuts.

Wife's brother says his 55' Chevy was in Viva Max.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:23 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,736,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Before Ingram Mall seems like Alamo Downs old sign and SWRI are all that was out there. But, I didn't get out that way much in the 60's and the 70's are a blur...lots of work back then. I remember when there was still houses and small farm like homes along I-10 west just outside 410. The growth out there off Culebra and Bandera on to Medina Lake is nuts.
It was the same way in the northeast side of town. My parents bought their house off Eisenhauer Rd in the early 70's. I was very young back than but I remember seeing farm houses and plowed up fields as you would drive on Eisenhauer east of I-35. This was about the time Ray Ellison's Camelot subdivision came into being. I also remember when Walzem Rd. was a two-lane black top. All that was out there was Roosevelt High School and a Dairy Queen. This was before Windsor Park Mall was built. It is sad to see how run down that area has become. It is nowhere near as vibrant as it was in the 70's and 80's, but then again, what is?

Old 08-30-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GSstage1 View Post
It was the same way in the northeast side of town. My parents bought their house off Eisenhauer Rd in the early 70's. I was very young back than but I remember seeing farm houses and plowed up fields as you would drive on Eisenhauer east of I-35. This was about the time Ray Ellison's Camelot subdivision came into being. I also remember when Walzem Rd. was a two-lane black top. All that was out there was Roosevelt High School and a Dairy Queen. This was before Windsor Park Mall was built. It is sad to see how run down that area has become. It is nowhere near as vibrant as it was in the 70's and 80's, but then again, what is?
Yep, a friend and I were dating two sisters in Camelot around 72'. We used to see deer jumping the fence in a field while heading east on Eisenhauer into Camelot. Seems like there was a pizza place on Rittiman just outside Camelot.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,601 times
Default a few old (to some of us anyway) memories & a question or 2

This is a fun website...thanks for starting it!
This stuff is from the 1950's (very late '50's), '60's & '70's:
Does anyone remember an old grocery store located a block or 2 from the Peacock Military Academy next to Woodlawn Lake I think was called Rhien's or Riehn's (rhymes with means). Remember going there with my mom in the early 1960's. This was NOT a supermarket. We also went to Abdo's grocery store on Zarzamora.
Indoor movie theaters we frequented were the Olmos, Laurel, Woodlawn, Texas, Aztec Cinema 1 & 2 at Wonderland Mall. Also went to the San Pedro Drive-In a lot.
Remember the Comic book shop at Wonderland Mall?
The Quarterhouse behind S.A.C.-an early Cappy Lawton Enterprise.....lots of foosball! 25 cent beverages.
& Speaking of foosball....Foos-it and the Rogue Pub both on San Pedro
Music-too many great local bands! Homer, Feel, The Lemon Rhinestone, Union Jacks & on & on
Johnny Ringo's bean burgers
Albert Cafe's (on Blanco south of Jackson Keller) Chicken fried steak
Joske's Christmas "land" or whatever it was called...Claus & co. with a little train ride (or was that in Sears?)

Old 09-04-2012, 01:50 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,132,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smabrito View Post
This is a fun website...thanks for starting it!
This stuff is from the 1950's (very late '50's), '60's & '70's:
Does anyone remember an old grocery store located a block or 2 from the Peacock Military Academy next to Woodlawn Lake I think was called Rhien's or Riehn's (rhymes with means). Remember going there with my mom in the early 1960's. This was NOT a supermarket. We also went to Abdo's grocery store on Zarzamora.
Indoor movie theaters we frequented were the Olmos, Laurel, Woodlawn, Texas, Aztec Cinema 1 & 2 at Wonderland Mall. Also went to the San Pedro Drive-In a lot.
Remember the Comic book shop at Wonderland Mall?
The Quarterhouse behind S.A.C.-an early Cappy Lawton Enterprise.....lots of foosball! 25 cent beverages.
& Speaking of foosball....Foos-it and the Rogue Pub both on San Pedro
Music-too many great local bands! Homer, Feel, The Lemon Rhinestone, Union Jacks & on & on
Johnny Ringo's bean burgers
Albert Cafe's (on Blanco south of Jackson Keller) Chicken fried steak
Joske's Christmas "land" or whatever it was called...Claus & co. with a little train ride (or was that in Sears?)
The theatre at Wonderland was called the Wonder Theatre. For years it was my favorite theatre to see a movie. It had only one screen with a huge "waterfall" curtain until 1977 when it was split down the middle and made into two VERY cheesy auditoriums. Cinema I & II was at North Star Mall. It was the first multi screen indoor in San Antonio. It opened Christmas 1964. Around 1979 they split Cinema I into two auditoriums, and it was then a triplex until it closed a few years later.

I helped close the San Pedo Drive In in August 1984. I was the projectionist there. That theatre started out as a twin (East and West screens) in 1965. In 1970 a third screen (South screen) was built. In 1979 the East screen, and the South screen were split in two and two more screens were added. After that the screens were just numbered 1-2-3-4-5.

Joskes' Christmas display was called Fantasyland. It was really something to behold. I can't remember a year NOT going to see Fantasyland when I was a kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio