Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2012, 09:30 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,738,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
The theatre at Wonderland was called the Wonder Theatre. For years it was my favorite theatre to see a movie. It had only one screen with a huge "waterfall" curtain until 1977 when it was split down the middle and made into two VERY cheesy auditoriums
I remember the Wonder Theatre. We went to see King Kong there in 1977. I think there was a drive inn along the northbound lanes of IH 35. If I'm not mistaken it was located near O'Connor or Toepperwein Rd. Does this ring a bell to anyone?

Last edited by 69GSstage1; 09-05-2012 at 09:31 AM.. Reason: grammer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 09:50 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,864,882 times
Starlight Terrace was at Starlight and I-35.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:37 AM

1,710 posts, read 4,136,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GSstage1 View Post
I remember the Wonder Theatre. We went to see King Kong there in 1977. I think there was a drive inn along the northbound lanes of IH 35. If I'm not mistaken it was located near O'Connor or Toepperwein Rd. Does this ring a bell to anyone?
It was at Judson and I-35. It was called the Judson 4. It had a very short run from 1976 to 1981. It was the last drive in built in San Antonio. It was owned and operated by Maurice Braha, who also operated the Aztec, Laurel, Alameda, Woodlawn, and Prince (also called Teatro Nacional, Dollar Theatre, and Plaza).

Old 09-06-2012, 09:12 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,738,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
It was at Judson and I-35. It was called the Judson 4. It had a very short run from 1976 to 1981. It was the last drive in built in San Antonio. It was owned and operated by Maurice Braha, who also operated the Aztec, Laurel, Alameda, Woodlawn, and Prince (also called Teatro Nacional, Dollar Theatre, and Plaza).
That's right, Judson 4. Thanks for jogging my memory. It looks like the Northeast Methodist Hospital was built in its place. I wasn't even aware of the Starlight Terrace Drive In mentioned earlier.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:18 PM

847 posts, read 2,233,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post

Starlight Terrace was at Starlight and I-35.
yessir. the Starlight Lounge. Gone But Not Forgotten...........

Old 09-06-2012, 01:41 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,136,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GSstage1 View Post
That's right, Judson 4. Thanks for jogging my memory. It looks like the Northeast Methodist Hospital was built in its place. I wasn't even aware of the Starlight Terrace Drive In mentioned earlier.
There was no Starlight Terrace Drive In THEATRE. There was a Starlight Drive In Theatre on FM 78 near Schertz. It was still standing the last time I drove by there.

BTW, "Starlight" was the most common name for drive in theatres, nationwide during their heyday.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:23 PM

8,578 posts, read 7,078,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *mud* View Post
yessir. the Starlight Lounge. Gone But Not Forgotten...........
That lounge was not very far from where I lived on Starlight Terrace in the very early '70's. There used to be a Mr. M's convenience store at the corner of Starlight Terrace and IH-35. It was a nice neighborhood back then. Lots of families.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:27 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,736,736 times
This is pretty neat about Cool Crest Mini Golf

Right-of-way abandonment paves way for Cool Crest re-opening - San Antonio Express-News

Old 09-06-2012, 08:01 PM

15 posts, read 52,179 times
I remember a place next to the old Golden Stallion Dance hall I believe was on Ackerman road. Around 1973 there used to be a Western Village next door. They had Cowboys and an Indian with a Mohawk that used to do real shootouts in the street and all, except of course the guns had blanks....one could watch from the side of the street and it was as if you were caught up in a real gunfight. The Actors were professional people that did this sort of thing part time. The Sheriff was a writer/Cartoonist with the San Antonio Light Newspaper before the Express bought them out..or could have been the Express. I remember meeting the Sheriff but can't for the life of me remember his name. He did Cartoons for the paper and was pretty well known. The Indian was a very nice fellow and I believe was in the Air Force. When I took my daughter over to meet him he let out a Whoop and scared the livin **** out of my Daughter who was all but about 3 at the time....I laughed about it, but my wife at the time didn't think it was funny and neither did my daughter. Does anyone have any information on these players or this place?

Old 09-06-2012, 08:09 PM

847 posts, read 2,233,448 times
...........Bob Dale..........
Quote:
Originally Posted by txghost View Post
I remember a place next to the old Golden Stallion Dance hall I believe was on Ackerman road. Around 1973 there used to be a Western Village next door. They had Cowboys and an Indian with a Mohawk that used to do real shootouts in the street and all, except of course the guns had blanks....one could watch from the side of the street and it was as if you were caught up in a real gunfight. The Actors were professional people that did this sort of thing part time. The Sheriff was a writer/Cartoonist with the San Antonio Light Newspaper before the Express bought them out..or could have been the Express. I remember meeting the Sheriff but can't for the life of me remember his name. He did Cartoons for the paper and was pretty well known. The Indian was a very nice fellow and I believe was in the Air Force. When I took my daughter over to meet him he let out a Whoop and scared the livin **** out of my Daughter who was all but about 3 at the time....I laughed about it, but my wife at the time didn't think it was funny and neither did my daughter. Does anyone have any information on these players or this place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio