Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2010, 07:52 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,373,103 times

Advertisements

Question.....I ran across a very odd record this weekend. Long story short....very wealthy woman, widowed and was committed to Grace Lutheran Hospital about 1962, five years before her admittance. Son was a doctor and the daughter was very diligently caring for her during her stay. Grace Lutheran at one time was a TB hospital, but nothing on her death record indicates she ever had TB. She was hospitalized for five years and the only cause of death is "malnutrition".

Was Grace Lutheran even a mental facility? Still no mention on her record. Her son was her attending doctor her entire stay....with no autopsy. She lived her whole life in San Antonio, but when she died, she was buried in another city with distant relatives.

Seems a little odd to me. Where was/is Grace Lutheran Hospital?

Update....Grace Lutheran became Lutheran Hospital, but I am unclear if it changed locations. I have seen some very old postcards of Grace Lutheran in the 20 and 30's but feel certain those buildings no longer stand....or are not where the hospital is at this time.

Last edited by wCat; 03-28-2010 at 09:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 09:34 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,608,780 times
I was reading up on Dionicio Rodríguez recently and remembered the tree at the south entrance to the Joske's downtown. Was it one of his and does anyone know what happened to it after the Dillard's takeover?

Old 03-29-2010, 11:17 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,695,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
I was reading up on Dionicio Rodríguez recently and remembered the tree at the south entrance to the Joske's downtown. Was it one of his and does anyone know what happened to it after the Dillard's takeover?
When you say "South Entrance", I assume you mean the Commerce street entrance? I dont recall there ever being any Faux Bois artwork there? There is just a solid sidewalk and an awning?

The nephew that took over his trade and does all the stuff around town....his workshop/yard are located about a block down from Rosarios.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Question.....I ran across a very odd record this weekend. Long story short....very wealthy woman, widowed and was committed to Grace Lutheran Hospital about 1962, five years before her admittance. Son was a doctor and the daughter was very diligently caring for her during her stay. Grace Lutheran at one time was a TB hospital, but nothing on her death record indicates she ever had TB. She was hospitalized for five years and the only cause of death is "malnutrition".

Was Grace Lutheran even a mental facility? Still no mention on her record. Her son was her attending doctor her entire stay....with no autopsy. She lived her whole life in San Antonio, but when she died, she was buried in another city with distant relatives.

Seems a little odd to me. Where was/is Grace Lutheran Hospital?

Update....Grace Lutheran became Lutheran Hospital, but I am unclear if it changed locations. I have seen some very old postcards of Grace Lutheran in the 20 and 30's but feel certain those buildings no longer stand....or are not where the hospital is at this time.
Sorry about the rambling...thinking outloud again. Short question...does anyone know where Grace Lutheran Hospital was in 1962? Anyone have a Criss Cross around that time?

Old 03-29-2010, 04:14 PM

4,331 posts, read 7,242,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Sorry about the rambling...thinking outloud again. Short question...does anyone know where Grace Lutheran Hospital was in 1962? Anyone have a Criss Cross around that time?
There is a Grace Lutheran Sanatorium & Hospital listed at 701 S. Zarzamora in the 1958 phone directory.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:22 PM

122 posts, read 372,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
There is a Grace Lutheran Sanatorium & Hospital listed at 701 S. Zarzamora in the 1958 phone directory.
I have a 1957 Directory. For 701 S. Zarzamora it shows Grace Lutheran Nursing Home/Sanatorium and Texas Lutheran Book Store also shows the names Frieda C. Fisler and W. G Egerton

Old 03-29-2010, 05:52 PM

237 posts, read 851,637 times
Default comix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
There was a Newspaper that was printed in Austin called "The Rag". I only went to the Head Shops to buy Comix.
Never bought a copy of the RAG but sure remember it well tho did not participate in its production. You may recall Austin's first head shop on Lavaca named the Underground City Hall. It was small but often busy with customers just buying comix and squares who were curious about hippies. San Antonio's first such store was on Broadway, near the Witte, as I recall and they too sold comix.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:04 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,436,948 times
Question about Joske's when did the Camailla room close? someone said it was there till the end but don't think it was. Anyone?

Old 03-29-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Thank you ged and jksa! Got it~

Old 03-29-2010, 09:27 PM

847 posts, read 2,233,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post

San Antonio's first such store was on Broadway, near the Witte, as I recall and they too sold comix.
....Grandma's Tea Shop... the late and great Charles Winans.... RIP charlie wino.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio