Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2010, 07:35 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,544,815 times

Advertisements

I really like all this Bowling stuff (Honest!) I used to Bowl at the Oak Hills lanes but I never really understood the scoring--I still don't--but we had alot of fun knocking down pins and I was always with someone who knew how to keep score (at least I think so!) Not to change the subject ( but I guess I am) Fess Parker Died. I remember him as Davy Crockett and Jim Bowie and I always wanted a coon skin cap. My mom and dad told me they smelled terrible and I would hate wearing one. Maybe thats true but I still wanted one. I used to go to the Alamo with my grandmother everytime I would visit her. I still go when I have Jury Duty. I guess what I want to know is...Does anybody who lives in San Antonio ever go to the Alamo and if they do..when was the last time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 10:26 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,132,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
I really like all this Bowling stuff (Honest!) I used to Bowl at the Oak Hills lanes but I never really understood the scoring--I still don't--but we had alot of fun knocking down pins and I was always with someone who knew how to keep score (at least I think so!) Not to change the subject ( but I guess I am) Fess Parker Died. I remember him as Davy Crockett and Jim Bowie and I always wanted a coon skin cap. My mom and dad told me they smelled terrible and I would hate wearing one. Maybe thats true but I still wanted one. I used to go to the Alamo with my grandmother everytime I would visit her. I still go when I have Jury Duty. I guess what I want to know is...Does anybody who lives in San Antonio ever go to the Alamo and if they do..when was the last time?

I don't go to the Alamo for myself, but when people from out of town come to visit, the Alamo is almost always on top of their list to visit. It's been at least five years since i last went to the Alamo.

Fess Parker was also the star of "Daniel Boone", and was also in the Disney movie "Old Yeller".

Old 03-20-2010, 11:22 AM

262 posts, read 910,796 times
Quote:
There are 3 sides to the Alamo.... the Texan side, the Mexican side & the truth.

Is there anyone in SA that gives a close to accurate account of what really happened at the Alamo?

Old 03-20-2010, 12:39 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post
jus wanted to share something i found. miss sa
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NuJxTdB6COY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NuJxTdB6COY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Ya mean this?

Cheers! M2

Old 03-20-2010, 12:49 PM

I have heard what I believe is an accurate account of what really happened at the Alamo and the events leading up to it. It makes sense to me because it is based on human nature and things people will do to become wealthy and powerful. The thing I like the most about the Alamo is the building itself. It was the first one there and if you like looking at old maps and paintings you can always orient yourself from where the Alamo is and how it is facing. My eye doctor had a fastinating drawing done by the Army Corps of Engineers in the eighteen seventies. It was a pen and ink drawing of the area showing roads and houses and bridges. It even had Fort Sam Houston and the Quadrangle. I could look at that map hours!

Old 03-20-2010, 03:49 PM

262 posts, read 910,796 times
Quote:
I have heard what I believe is an accurate account of what really happened at the Alamo and the events leading up to it. It makes sense to me because it is based on human nature and things people will do to become wealthy and powerful. The thing I like the most about the Alamo is the building itself. It was the first one there and if you like looking at old maps and paintings you can always orient yourself from where the Alamo is and how it is facing. My eye doctor had a fastinating drawing done by the Army Corps of Engineers in the eighteen seventies. It was a pen and ink drawing of the area showing roads and houses and bridges. It even had Fort Sam Houston and the Quadrangle. I could look at that map hours!
Was the map like it was from a bird's eye view?

And the map was drawn on a large piece of paper as if it was done comic book style?

Old 03-20-2010, 04:56 PM

237 posts, read 851,161 times
Default boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post
jus wanted to share something i found. miss sa
With all due respect that's about the most boring bit of footage from YouTube perhaps ever and could be almost anywhere. I'm glad if it makes you recall SA fondly but what might be truly cool is a similar scenario made while transiting Broadway from Loop 410 to downtown.
Just as good would be any main street like New Braunfels from end to end or Zarzamora, Culebra, San Pedro, etc. so that you actually see places of interest familiar or otherwise. If I had a video camera, one or more of those would soon be on YouTube but traveling Loop 410 seems a waste of time for the viewer and camera guy. Thanks for sharing it tho as it's given me the idea described above so anybody with a camera want to ride along any of the streets named or any others that come to mind?

Old 03-20-2010, 07:15 PM

136 posts, read 331,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THOMAS655 View Post
how about duckpins and candlepins? They are still quite popular on the east coast as i hear.
You heard right. Candlepins are especialy popular with families as the kids can easily throw the small balls, and it doesn't take much speed to get results. Almost everyone I know here got their start with candlepins.

Now if I could just find one that had that bear game.......

Old 03-20-2010, 07:34 PM

136 posts, read 331,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
Yes, the Woodlawn lanes were upstairs. When you entered the door, there was only a stairway upstairs. The had 24 lanes. Sixteen were on one side, and eight on the other. They had a large snack bar. I liked the Woodlawn lanes because the balls came back above ground.
Us bowling brats liked it because the Woodlawn theater was on the other end of the block and we all went to the movies while our parents bowled. The big game attraction at the lanes was shuffle board tables. They had four big tables and would usually let us play for free if they weren't being used by paying customers.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nix54 View Post
Was the map like it was from a bird's eye view?

And the map was drawn on a large piece of paper as if it was done comic book style?
It was a very large (about 3' by 5' maybe some standard size for technical drawings) and very accurately drawn. Like an illustration. The roads were all labled and the houses and buildings were all different like maybe they really looked. The thing that caught my attention was that Alamo street went past the Alamo and across the river to where the flour mill is. It's still that way but it makes a lot more sense when you see San Antonio as a small country village.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio