Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2010, 10:13 AM

1,710 posts, read 4,131,815 times

Advertisements

Looking at the yellow pages of the 1968 phone book shows All Star Lanes at 3371 Roosevelt, Billy Mitchell Lanes at 123 Croyden "at the main gate of Kelly AFB", Bowlerama on Blanco Rd, Brunswick Bowl 3203 Harry Wurzbach (became Astro Bowl when automatic scorekeepers were installed), Goliad Bowling Center @ 2118 Goliad Rd, Hermann Sons, Highland Bowling Center @ 1603 S New Braunfels, Oak Hills on Callaghan Rd, San Pedro Bowl @ 126 Rector, Southside Bowl @ 6919 S Zarzamora, Turner's Bowling Lane @ 120 9th, Wonder Bowl @ 1948 Austin Hwy, and Woodlawn Bowl @ 1906 Fredericksburg Rd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 12:20 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,837,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
Looking at the yellow pages of the 1968 phone book shows All Star Lanes at 3371 Roosevelt, Billy Mitchell Lanes at 123 Croyden "at the main gate of Kelly AFB", Bowlerama on Blanco Rd, Brunswick Bowl 3203 Harry Wurzbach (became Astro Bowl when automatic scorekeepers were installed), Goliad Bowling Center @ 2118 Goliad Rd, Hermann Sons, Highland Bowling Center @ 1603 S New Braunfels, Oak Hills on Callaghan Rd, San Pedro Bowl @ 126 Rector, Southside Bowl @ 6919 S Zarzamora, Turner's Bowling Lane @ 120 9th, Wonder Bowl @ 1948 Austin Hwy, and Woodlawn Bowl @ 1906 Fredericksburg Rd.
Outafocus:
You wouldn't have a directory for 1950? My S. Presa or Roosevelt Bowling Alley would probably be about 1100 - 1600 block. Check address of Pigstand and it would be next door.
gy

Old 03-17-2010, 05:40 PM

237 posts, read 851,131 times
Default True Confessions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Rider View Post
and Herman's Sons. My favorite thing to do at the Highland Bowl was the game with the rifle and the bear;... Later on they built a Dairy Queen on the other end from Siebert's and we'd hang around there.
Amen brother Boss, "bowling brat" bigtime and I can still hear that bear roar. The Penny Arcade at Playland also had one as did many other places back then. With practice you could keep that ol' bear spinning around up and down right in the middle of the field of fire. Seibert's lunch counter had good hamburgers too and a .40 cent malt in a tall glass that included the metal mixing cup with your refill; it was sooo delicious! At around age 14/15 I had a big crush on a St. Gerard's HS girl who worked the Seibert's counter in the early '60s with an apron covering her white blouse and royal blue skirt/uniform. Those knee sox plus blue & white saddle oxfords drove me crazy too!! That was a serious no-no for a good Baptist boy like me ... forbidden fruit you might say. St. G's had their own bowling alley in the basement for students, parents and parish families. Is Herman Sons still operating their alley on St. Mary's?
Btw, that old Dairy Queen changed hands many times thru the years and is now a BBQ joint that smells good tho I've not yet stopped. Next door was Clarence's Barber Shop after he moved from nearby on Gevers.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:41 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,131,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
Outafocus:
You wouldn't have a directory for 1950? My S. Presa or Roosevelt Bowling Alley would probably be about 1100 - 1600 block. Check address of Pigstand and it would be next door.
gy
I just have the 1968 phone book. San Antonio was A LOT smaller then! The yellow and white pages are all in one book, the print is big enough to read, and it's about half as thick as today's yellow pages alone. My aunt was cleaning out her garage and came across the '68 phone book and was going to throw it away. I am glad I rescued it!

Remember when the Woodlawn Bowling Lanes had a five alarm fire in 1967? My dad was a fireman and helped put out the fire. He didn't think it would ever reopen, but it wasn't long before it did. I think I bowled my last game there around 1971 or so.

My first bowling ball was bought right down the street at Bowling and Billiard Supplies at 1844 Fredericksburg Road. A girlfriend bought me a nice Columbia Titeline ball there for my birthday in 1970. After she gave it to me, I had the holes drilled there I still have and use that ball! About five years ago I noticed the thumb hole had "shrunken" a bit, and needed re drilling. I was shocked to see Bowling and Billiard Supplies still open. They enlarged the thumb hole for free! I just looked at the 2010 yellow pages, and they are no longer listed.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:14 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,818,808 times
Quote:
All Star in 68' ?? I could be wrong but pretty sure it was Bowlerland in first few years. Seeing this info it couldn't have been more than 5 or 6 years as Bowlerland. My brother who is older didn't recall name before All Star which surprised me. I'd forgotten about Billy Mitchell Lanes in Billy Mitchell Village. I've bowled there in 70's probably. Bowled in Oak Hills a few times and Hill Country Lanes on San Pedro years later. Spent mid and late 60's in Southside Bowling Alley. Bowled Herman Son's early 60's and again in late 70's maybe ..think they had automatic pinsetters last time there. Don't recall Woodlawn or Turner's or Highland Bowling Center. I bowled with a friend early 80's in Bowlerama on Blanco. There was one on I-10 early 80's with auto score keepers near Wurzbach or Huebner. Bowled there a few times.

Goliad Bowling Center would be present day "Ponderosa".

Old 03-18-2010, 11:40 AM

44 posts, read 124,414 times
Ponderosa on goliad rd. Used to be called goliad bowling center. University bowl on ih 10 west was originally opened as world of sports by the same owner of the old sports palace on ne 410.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
i just have the 1968 phone book. San antonio was a lot smaller then! The yellow and white pages are all in one book, the print is big enough to read, and it's about half as thick as today's yellow pages alone. My aunt was cleaning out her garage and came across the '68 phone book and was going to throw it away. I am glad i rescued it!

Remember when the woodlawn bowling lanes had a five alarm fire in 1967? My dad was a fireman and helped put out the fire. He didn't think it would ever reopen, but it wasn't long before it did. I think i bowled my last game there around 1971 or so.

My first bowling ball was bought right down the street at bowling and billiard supplies at 1844 fredericksburg road. A girlfriend bought me a nice columbia titeline ball there for my birthday in 1970. After she gave it to me, i had the holes drilled there i still have and use that ball! About five years ago i noticed the thumb hole had "shrunken" a bit, and needed re drilling. I was shocked to see bowling and billiard supplies still open. They enlarged the thumb hole for free! I just looked at the 2010 yellow pages, and they are no longer listed.
the old woodlawn bowling center was upstairs, correct? I belive the space is now occupied by a ballroom dance club.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:47 AM

Any ex-employees of columbia 300 bowling balls out there? The plant closed in 2007 after ebonite bought out columbia and moved the manufacturing to their kentucky location.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:04 PM

Billy mitchell lanes by kelly became sparetime lanes when joe carmack, owner of wonder bowl purchased it back in 1980's. Both wonder bowl and sparetime were purchased by amf back in the 1990's, wonder bowl is now amf wonder lanes and sparetime was closed around the time when kelly afb closed.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budb View Post
amen brother boss, "bowling brat" bigtime and i can still hear that bear roar. The penny arcade at playland also had one as did many other places back then. With practice you could keep that ol' bear spinning around up and down right in the middle of the field of fire. Seibert's lunch counter had good hamburgers too and a .40 cent malt in a tall glass that included the metal mixing cup with your refill; it was sooo delicious! At around age 14/15 i had a big crush on a st. Gerard's hs girl who worked the seibert's counter in the early '60s with an apron covering her white blouse and royal blue skirt/uniform. Those knee sox plus blue & white saddle oxfords drove me crazy too!! That was a serious no-no for a good baptist boy like me ... Forbidden fruit you might say. St. G's had their own bowling alley in the basement for students, parents and parish families. Is herman sons still operating their alley on st. Mary's?
Btw, that old dairy queen changed hands many times thru the years and is now a bbq joint that smells good tho i've not yet stopped. Next door was clarence's barber shop after he moved from nearby on gevers.
it is a shame, but i understand hermann sons closed the bowling recently. The old building is still there, i understand that they still use the ballroom and other parts of the building, but the bowling center is now closed to the public. I am not sure if the lodge still uses the lanes or not, but i believe the "bowling museum" that we called hermann sons is still there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio