Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2010, 01:42 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,843,631 times

Advertisements

They might be able to help here:

St. Michael's School History
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 02:20 PM

262 posts, read 911,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
They might be able to help here:

St. Michael's School History
Thank you, but that St. Michael's School is in Cuero, Texas.

Searching for the original St. Michael's School that was on the southside of San Antonio.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:21 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,843,631 times
Yes sir, ah'm aware of that. Are you aware that they moved to Cuero from San Antone?

Old 03-05-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Yes sir, ah'm aware of that. Are you aware that they moved to Cuero from San Antone?
There is a St. Michael's in Cuero, Texas, established in 1877.

The St. Michael's School in San Antonio opened in 1873.

Close but no cigar.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:51 PM

136 posts, read 332,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nix54 View Post
Thank you, but that St. Michael's School is in Cuero, Texas.

Searching for the original St. Michael's School that was on the southside of San Antonio.
There's a pretty good history at :History of St. Michael’s Parish in San Antonio — Polish Texan Current Events - History - Genealogy - Polish Texans Website

But no patch illustration. You might find it in some of the several references they cite, though.

"In 1965 the church and property was sold to the San Antonio Urban Renewal Project for the construction of Hemisfair '68. at a price of $370,000. A new St. Michael's church was built at 418 Indiana , southeast of the original location. The marble altars, communion rail, and stained glass windows were relocated to Immaculate Heart of Mary Church at 617 S. Santa Rosa Blvd."

Old 03-05-2010, 07:01 PM

136 posts, read 332,085 times
[quote=outafocus;13155474][quote=BudB;13136492]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Rider View Post

Lone Star Ice and Food Stores sold Patio tamales for 25 cents for 1/2 dozen when I was a kid in the late 50s. They kept them hot in roaster ovens.
Thanks for the brand name ! You could also get little 4 ounce cans of Gepharts chile out of those ovens, mix the chile into a 5 cent bag of Fritos, and eat it with one of those wooden stick spoons they had. They were a junk food heaven. Moon Pies, Big Hunk bars...and on and on.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Rider View Post
There's a pretty good history at :History of St. Michael’s Parish in San Antonio — Polish Texan Current Events - History - Genealogy - Polish Texans Website

But no patch illustration. You might find it in some of the several references they cite, though.

"In 1965 the church and property was sold to the San Antonio Urban Renewal Project for the construction of Hemisfair '68. at a price of $370,000. A new St. Michael's church was built at 418 Indiana , southeast of the original location. The marble altars, communion rail, and stained glass windows were relocated to Immaculate Heart of Mary Church at 617 S. Santa Rosa Blvd."

I called the St. Michael's Church rectory this morning and they had no patch or any recollection of it. I also checked the Polish Texas Genealogy.

Back in the 60's, I remember Mom would go to the A. B. Frank Company on Alamo street to buy them for fifty cents. A. B. Frank Company back then was the supplier for all school patches and ROTC & Military uniforms.

Someone out there has one tucked away.

There was a centennial book I believe written in 1966 about St. Michael's. I am trying to find that as well.

Thank you for research!

Old 03-06-2010, 08:42 AM

While we are on the subject of St. Mary's street downtown would anyone have any pictures of the downtown Coney Island?

Old 03-06-2010, 11:56 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,373,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nix54 View Post
I called the St. Michael's Church rectory this morning and they had no patch or any recollection of it. I also checked the Polish Texas Genealogy.

Back in the 60's, I remember Mom would go to the A. B. Frank Company on Alamo street to buy them for fifty cents. A. B. Frank Company back then was the supplier for all school patches and ROTC & Military uniforms.

Someone out there has one tucked away.

There was a centennial book I believe written in 1966 about St. Michael's. I am trying to find that as well.

Thank you for research!
Have you tried contacting anyone out at the St Hedwigs church? The Rt Rev Msg Thomas Moczygemba was instrumental in establishing a number of Polish Catholic churches including St Hedwig. That community has been around since the late 1800's and had very close ties with St Michaels in San Antonio. It's possible that some of the students that attended St Michaels moved on to settle out near St Hedwigs, or had relatives that attended St Michael's. I'm sure they have a historian or parish member that may have a lead or two that might help you find what you are looking for. Good luck...I'm always on a hunt like this, so I hope you find your treasure.5

Old 03-06-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Have you tried contacting anyone out at the St Hedwigs church? The Rt Rev Msg Thomas Moczygemba was instrumental in establishing a number of Polish Catholic churches including St Hedwig. That community has been around since the late 1800's and had very close ties with St Michaels in San Antonio. It's possible that some of the students that attended St Michaels moved on to settle out near St Hedwigs, or had relatives that attended St Michael's. I'm sure they have a historian or parish member that may have a lead or two that might help you find what you are looking for. Good luck...I'm always on a hunt like this, so I hope you find your treasure.5

Thanks, WC,

I called St. Hedwig's and left a message. I also emailed them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio