Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2010, 10:39 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,547,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
Here's a picture of a Twinstar that was identical to mine. They came with 180 CC, and 200 CC engines. Mine was a 180. I bought it from a security guard at work that needed fast cash. It wasn't a speed machine, but could keep up with traffic on the El Paso expressways with my 200+ pound carcass on it!

http://motorbike-search-engine.co.uk...a-twinstar.jpg
It looks a lot like the Hawk. They probably just made the engine bigger so it could power all the extra stuff they were adding. I remember a lot of really cool Motorcycles..not just the big ones. Yamaha had a really cool little 100cc twin with an electric starter. My Brother in law had one of the first Kawasaki's sold in San Antonio. I think it was a 650 cc . around 1968 or 1969. This was a long time ago . He was always showing up with this kind of stuff. He lives in Austin now .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 01:14 AM

1,710 posts, read 4,136,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
It looks a lot like the Hawk. They probably just made the engine bigger so it could power all the extra stuff they were adding. I remember a lot of really cool Motorcycles..not just the big ones. Yamaha had a really cool little 100cc twin with an electric starter. My Brother in law had one of the first Kawasaki's sold in San Antonio. I think it was a 650 cc . around 1968 or 1969. This was a long time ago . He was always showing up with this kind of stuff. He lives in Austin now .
I traded the Twinstar for a new 1985 Honda Rebel 250. I liked the Twinstar better! The Rebel was low like a Harley, and much heavier than the Twinstar. I sold the Rebel after a couple of years, and had no motorcycles since.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:29 PM

2 posts, read 5,444 times
Remember the Rabbit ??? and the Red Rooster,,,,Remember Happy....e-mail Moderator cut: email address

Last edited by Bo; 04-12-2010 at 07:58 PM.. Reason: post moved from "Last Restaurant..." thread. Don't post your email address, spammers may find it! :-)

Old 04-13-2010, 07:01 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,695,312 times
If we can get back on topic "Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio"
(Motor sport enthusiasts - you can start your own thread, Really!)

Another long time location has entered into the annals of GBNF in SA.
The giant Don's & Bens' at the intersection of West Ave, Jackson Keller & 410 is now gone. I can remember that saltillo tile buldling has been there from at least the early 70's. I think it used to be some sort of warehouse or posibbily keg distribution center....because it had extensive loading docks and warehouse space on the backside...that I never saw used. Anyway....i was over that way this weekend and it building is completely leveled. Anyone know the history or story behind this unique Don's & Bens. I

Last edited by Primo; 04-13-2010 at 08:05 AM..

Old 04-13-2010, 07:38 AM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,736,736 times
This is great....go from motor sports to liquor stores.

Last edited by RGJ; 04-13-2010 at 07:50 AM..

Old 04-13-2010, 07:57 AM

847 posts, read 2,233,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post

This is great....go from motor sports to a liquor stores.
My favorite Drive Thru was Franz Ice House on N St Marys and Jones.

ice cold beer in a DPS bag and good to go.

Same thing at Commerce Ice Station - Fred Rd and Summit.

From there, if you were headed South, you could pull into the Jiffy for more curbside service.

Still headed South, stop for a Fried Rabbit Dinner at the Five Points Cafe,
then for desert, walk in to Repeat at Pete's,
talk with his Parrot, and grab a bottle to go.

All gone But Not Forgotten.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:05 AM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,736,736 times
Denison's Liquor Store on the corner of Goliad/Clark/Southcross. Call in your order and they'd deliver Long gone.....

Old 04-13-2010, 01:37 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,842,881 times
Remember, Joe Rinagle, the dj and used to be the Spurs announcer? His grandfather lived across the street from my house on W. Craig Pl. The grandfather was the manager of the Don's and Ben's in Northstar Mall. He was a big sports fan and we kids would come over to his house and watch the St. Louis Cards on his tv set. Art's son was Joe Rinagle, father of the sportscaster. Joe senior played baseball out in the street with us neighbor4hood kids. He was about 6 years older than most of us and we looked up to him, literally. He was about 6 feet tall and the rest of us were in the 4's, going to elementary or junior high. This was between 1953-1955.
Joe married and moved down to Alice, TX where he worked as a Pharm. salesman. I visited him in 1970. Joe Jr. was only about 8 or 9 at that time.
I liked Art and Joe, Sr. Never really new Joe, Jr.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:57 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,842,881 times
GY2020

I mentioned these picts to you once before. I found these in a windows 98 storage machine.
The three picts enclosed are lists of old establishments that were in an article in one of the local rags.
It could have been the Light, Express News, Northside Recorder, Southside Reporter or one of the Spanish rags.
I have a dial up and it takes me for ever to post etc. If you would like to post to GBNF feel free.
That will satisfy the self appointed monitors.

Hope everything is going well for you.

JP

Thanx JP

Old 04-13-2010, 07:00 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,547,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
If we can get back on topic "Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio"
(Motor sport enthusiasts - you can start your own thread, Really!)

Another long time location has entered into the annals of GBNF in SA.
The giant Don's & Bens' at the intersection of West Ave, Jackson Keller & 410 is now gone. I can remember that saltillo tile buldling has been there from at least the early 70's. I think it used to be some sort of warehouse or posibbily keg distribution center....because it had extensive loading docks and warehouse space on the backside...that I never saw used. Anyway....i was over that way this weekend and it building is completely leveled. Anyone know the history or story behind this unique Don's & Bens. I
I think you are right, the motorcycle stuff was a bit off topic (but still fun to remember). I didn't know they knocked that place down. My Dentist office is close to there and I would always stop for a little medication. When I was into Keg parties I always went to Mireles down on Culebra ( I think). I never bought kegs there-- I was always further south. They probably sold to the Aggies at Aggie Park---just down the street!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio