Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2010, 08:17 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,135,918 times

Advertisements

I just googled Codd Bottle, and this is what I found!

Antique Codd Bottles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 10:16 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,371,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
I'm not an avid collector. They are pretty much extinct, now, but when I was a kid I asked the proprietor of a local Lone Star Ice House to save odd bottles for me, and he did! He would not accept odd brands for deposit when someone brought them in, but I would give him the three cents for the odd ones, so he accepted them all. I have them in the attic of my house, and haven't looked at them in years, but I wouldn't part with any of them.

I do not know what a Codd bottle is.
Obviously new to the subject, but what I've read is that people actually go on digs to find old bottles in shallow areas around old pharmacies or drug stores. That may be more common in Europe however, and I'm not sure I'm really a "diggers"...lol. I wouldn't have a clue to where to even look in San Antonio that would not be trespassing. I think I'll have to settle on trade shows and antique shops for some bargains. It's nice to start with a ready made collection! lol

Old 04-25-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
I just googled Codd Bottle, and this is what I found!

Antique Codd Bottles
Oh...missed this post. I did find that link, but it doesn't say what was in them. One link implied that the beverage was carbonated which helped seal the bottle.
I would love to find some old long neck whiskey bottles from the turn of the century. Some of these have a great patina in the glass. Almost iridescent.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:44 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,135,918 times
I found an old clear bottle at Medina lake that was originally sealed by a cork that said "Property of Fred Miller Brewing Company". The glass is a bit cloudy, but in very good condition. I just wonder when breweries started using bottle caps instead of corks?

Old 04-25-2010, 11:01 PM

Quote:
I found an old clear bottle at Medina lake that was originally sealed by a cork that said "Property of Fred Miller Brewing Company". The glass is a bit cloudy, but in very good condition. I just wonder when breweries started using bottle caps instead of corks?
wow! what a find!

edit! According to this collector who has been collecting beer bottles exclusively for 26 years says on his link that corks were used in beer bottles up to 1870! You have an extremely nice treasure there! Makes sense....lots of German settlers in the Medina lake area that was at one time not covered in water.

Here's the link....rather entertaining....lol! http://www.beerbottlecollector.com/

Last edited by wCat; 04-25-2010 at 11:09 PM..

Old 04-26-2010, 12:44 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,858,453 times
Back in the late 60's my grandparents purchased the contents of a house. An old house with a basement just North of San Pedro Park. In the basement we found case after case of clear glass bottles. They looked like what you'd see as whiskey bottles in old western's. About a foot tall ..no markings. I believe there were a couple dozen crates maybe. I think they were around 4' long maybe 18' wide and 12' or 13' deep.
..We figured they had a still at one time or bootleg operation going. Maybe during prohibition it was a speak easy. I had a manual capping contraption and a ton of unmarked gold caps back then. Forgot where they came from. Wish I'd saved some of those bottles.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:28 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,546,636 times
A good place to look for old bottles was along the old Boerne stage road. When I was a kid I would go hunting with my dad who knew people who owned land out there. People who rode on the stage would throw the empty bottles out the window when they were empty. I would find them all the time but I don't know what ever happened to them. Another thing I used to find were the old glass telephone pole insulators.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
It wasn't a cheapo brew but back in the mid to late '60s and maybe even not the 1970s, Lone Star made an excellent Bock in the springtime that was truly tasty. Much more so than Shiner Bock which is ok but has that odd Spoetzel water aftertaste I've never cared for personally. And since you mentioned getting some LSB recently, I'll add that it's still my all time favorite grocery store beer hands down. And even tho it's not brewed in SA anymore the recipe must be the same because it still tastes great when properly iced on a hot afternoon.
I remember Lone Star Bock in what we used to call "Turtle Neck" bottles. I don't know if everybody called them that but I don't think anyone uses them anymore. The checkout guy at HEB told me he has started drinking Schlitz again. I bought a 12 pack and I like it. I used to NEVER drink Schlitz.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:56 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,858,453 times
I drank Schlitz in the early 70's before switching to Coors after a trip to Batesville. Lived off Boerne Stage Road for 2 or 3 years. Good place to find old bottles is in old farm fire (burn) pits. A woman out at Bussey's had a buch of old pole insulators. She was having trouble getting a dollar a piece for them..

Old 04-26-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
I drank Schlitz in the early 70's before switching to Coors after a trip to Batesville. Lived off Boerne Stage Road for 2 or 3 years. Good place to find old bottles is in old farm fire (burn) pits. A woman out at Bussey's had a buch of old pole insulators. She was having trouble getting a dollar a piece for them..
I used to fly Model Airplanes on the old TEZEL Farm. I found an old Chatty Cathy on the trash pile. I gave it to my sister who collects dolls and she wanted me to restore it. I don't know how to do that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio