Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2010, 09:28 PM

847 posts, read 2,231,404 times

Advertisements

has anyone mentioned Staats??

or Orange Crush??

or Sambo's Chocolate Milk??

I took some pictures tonight of some really old bottles I have.

I'll post them if there is any interest in seeing them.

They are unusually shaped. and unique.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 09:33 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,131,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuddle View Post

or Orange Crush??

I'd like to see them! I remember when Orange Crush came in brown bottles.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:13 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,363,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuddle View Post

or Orange Crush??

King Mud....or was it the Mud King... I would love to see them!

Outafocus.....can you take a picture of the Miller bottle you found? I read a little on Frederick Miller....interesting he started his brewery in 1854...and he died of cancer in 1888. The brewery was not known as Fredererick Miller Brewery until his sons took over. That also sort of implies the age of that bottle if it says Fred Miller on it! It might belong in a museum.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:22 AM

15,927 posts, read 8,137,084 times
found the best dump at Medina Lake, circa 1979 - 1989!!! Found the best bottles, ever!!!

Old 04-27-2010, 05:00 AM

847 posts, read 2,231,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
I'd like to see them!

I remember when Orange Crush came in brown bottles.
OC in brown bottles is the only way I remember them.
I liked OC.

Orange Crush is the bottle on the left.

Staats in the middle.

SamBo on the right........................

http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/5209/042610bottle4867b.jpg (broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post

King Mud....or was it the Mud King...
King Mud - that would be Hannibal.

I don't remember the Lily Pond pictured below.

Looks like a duck perched in the bird bath.....................................

Old 04-27-2010, 08:45 AM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,732,526 times
What a difference between Jefferson and the prison looking schools they build today.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:56 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,363,388 times
Great bottles. Did you find them locally?

I suppose you're right about Hannibal. I'm still in awe of your talent however. That reminds me that I owe you some information. I'll make a note to send it later tonight.

BTW - loved the photos behind them....Pianta? And!...that awesome pot metal textured wall. What is that? Something in your studio. I thought they were raindrops at first glance.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:00 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,293,732 times
Wow!. DeWinne's Belgium Inn. This has to be the same DeWinne that owns the Tip Top Cafe. I wonder how many other restaurants DeWinne owned?

There is a nursery on Bandera near 1604 that has a DeWinne's very similar to the one on top of Tip Top. I think the nursery is the DeWinne's Nursery. I wonder if its the same family?
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-paper.jpg  

Old 04-27-2010, 04:35 PM

Well, just found there was the DeWinne's Belgium Inn on Commerce and it was a famous beakfast eatery for SA politicians and lawyers. It later became DeWinne's Cafe. Not sure if they moved out to Fredricksburg road and became Tip Top or if they were different restaurants. The family also ran a restaurant called De Winne's Capt'n Jims. I seem to vague recall that name....

Old 04-27-2010, 04:57 PM

It looks like the DeWinne's were brothers from Belgium, Earnest and George, who by 1951 had been in the restaurant business for 15 years. I also found a few articles on two other brothers named Camille and Rudolph DeWinne. Not sure they were cousins or what the relationship really was. Camille and Rudolph came here either before or at the start of WW2.

I found an add from 1952 claiming they were newly remolded. They specialized in Pit Barbecue, steaks, fried chicken and sea food. Not sure which band of brothers started the DeWinne Belgium Inn 1951, but by the 1952 remolding, Earnest and George were running the restaurant. A 1948 article about Camille and Rudolph's sister surviving the German army invasion of Belgium does not mention the restaurant.

It must have been a real inn. A 1967 classified add was looking for hotel managers and asking them to appear the DeWinne's Courts which was the same address as the 3119 W. Commerce Street restaurant. Weren't the motor courts that used to be on the corner of San Pedro and Jackson-Keller also called DeWine's courts? I know someone posted on it earlier on this thread, but can't find it. (it was probably me, I am getting senile!)

Curiously, a 1931 advertisiment for a fully furnished apartment on broadway called the Madrid lists a Jules DeWinne as the owner and builder. I'm sure there has to be a relationship of some sort there. Maybe Jules was the first to arrive as an immigrant to SA, made it big, then sponsered the rest of his family to come over? It's a pretty typical immigrant experience at the time, and even today.

Last edited by GWhopper; 04-27-2010 at 05:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio