Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2010, 10:40 AM

237 posts, read 851,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Bud B or someone on GBNF knew what it had been before. I've forgotten. They said they used to have dancing on the roof. I can't imagine any connection between Cap't Jim's ....
Yup, that was me a while back mentioning that Capn' Jim's had originally been a road house named the Club Trocadero. My first book was a postcard history of SA all in B&W imagery published by Arcadia in 2000. In there on p. 79 is the postcard below so y'all can see the building most of us recall as Capn' Jim's. I wish I knew when Trocadero went away and Jim's took over. Can't recall now where the postcard came from but sure wish I owned it now. later, BudB
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-club-trocadero.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-capn-jims-1956.jpg  

Last edited by BudB; 04-28-2010 at 11:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 01:41 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,818,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
Yup, that was me a while back mentioning that Capn' Jim's had originally been a road house named the Club Trocadero. My first book was a postcard history of SA all in B&W imagery published by Arcadia in 2000. In there on p. 79 is the postcard below so y'all can see the building most of us recall as Capn' Jim's. I wish I knew when Trocadero went away and Jim's took over. Can't recall now where the postcard came from but sure wish I owned it now. later, BudB
Wow!! Great memories ...actually these pics predate my recollection. Thanks so much for posting these photos/postcards. This rooftop stuff must have been big back in the WWII era. Remember the old gas station, formerly dance on the roof club at Brazos and South Laredo? People tried to fight it's demolition...
...Notice the photo or postcard refers to Military Dr. or Loop 13 as Hwy 66??? Never heard that. My parents came to town early 50's (51' or 52') and they never mentioned Capn' Jim's being anything else. I certainly went to the restaurant many times in the 50's and 60's. Ernie DeWinne probably had it 1950 or sometime near. Thanks again for the memories Bud. I gotta get that book.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:41 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,837,956 times
Talk about rooftop. Besides some of the hotels with rooftop dance floors, the Soledad store on Soledad street had a rooftop (open-air) theatre and a natatorium (swimming pool) in the basement.

Unique Theatres

The reason roof tops were popular is that was before air conditioning. Imagine living in SA without a/c. Rooftops were nice and cool at night, plus you had a great view, the same with dance patios, such as the one in Helotes at John Floor's store. No a/c and that place would be unbearable, even at night.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:00 PM

17 posts, read 47,926 times
Quote:
...Notice the photo or postcard refers to Military Dr. or Loop 13 as Hwy 66??? Never heard that. My parents came to town early 50's (51' or 52') and they never mentioned Capn' Jim's being anything else. I certainly went to the restaurant many times in the 50's and 60's. Ernie DeWinne probably had it 1950 or sometime near. Thanks again for the memories Bud. I gotta get that book.
A 1935 Texas Highway map shows all US highways also had state highway numbers. Hwy 66 was not Loop 13 but was the state number for US 281.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:43 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,365,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie Pie View Post
Ooooops caught me there, Cat!!!! Meant that's when we found them. There's an old car, 40/50's stoves. refrigerators, stoves, got tons of enamel ware, buckets, pans, glass bottles, dishes, silverware, small kitchen appliances, coffee/teapots, toasters, tools etc!!!!
lol.....I was gonna confess that a few of those might have been mine. It wasn't easy being green back then.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:07 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,432,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
My bad!

But it looks like the San Pedro address for DeWinne's is very close to town and country lodge, so maybe they were one in the same.
I was thinking the same thing.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclhd View Post
A 1935 Texas Highway map shows all US highways also had state highway numbers. Hwy 66 was not Loop 13 but was the state number for US 281.
Thanks for the info... The bottom of the postcard said "on Highways 66 and 281". I naturally assumed since Roosevelt is 281 that Hwy 66 was referring to Loop 13 or Military Dr.
..South Presa is 181 south..I think Bud or another poster said there was another name for it at one time. I may have seen some of these other #'s or designations and simply forgotten.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:37 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,365,125 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info... The bottom of the postcard said "on Highways 66 and 281". I naturally assumed since Roosevelt is 281 that Hwy 66 was referring to Loop 13 or Military Dr.
..South Presa is 181 south..I think Bud or another poster said there was another name for it at one time. I may have seen some of these other #'s or designations and simply forgotten.
satx....it is confusing isn't it. Even now....as you mention 281 is Roosevelt...but
North of 410 it's San Pedro. Directory assistance makes me crazy when they give me one or the other for an address. It helps to know the general block numbers off 281 anywhere.

While I'm whining....the shopping center across from North Star Mall has addresses on West 410???? That's doubly confusing when you're calling some box store that has multiple addresses on 410. I won't go into the rest of the frustration since it's not gone or forgotten.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
satx....it is confusing isn't it. Even now....as you mention 281 is Roosevelt...but
North of 410 it's San Pedro. Directory assistance makes me crazy when they give me one or the other for an address. It helps to know the general block numbers off 281 anywhere.

While I'm whining....the shopping center across from North Star Mall has addresses on West 410???? That's doubly confusing when you're calling some box store that has multiple addresses on 410. I won't go into the rest of the frustration since it's not gone or forgotten.
Hi Cat!! Yep it is a little confusing. Hwy 90 south of downtown has always been Hwy 90 to me in both directions from I-35. But, now it's I-10 to the east apparently and 90 to the west. I-10 North has always been just that in my memory. New Laredo Hwy is Hwy 81 south....Roosevelt 281 south and South Presa 181 south. Rigsby is 87 East. I-37 and 181 are confusing.. I hate the multi level expressway system we have now. I recall driving through Austin many years ago when they had some multi-layered sections on I-35. I hoped they'd never do that mess here. It's and ugly over crowded world out there.
..Go Kat!!

Old 04-30-2010, 12:13 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,294,402 times
I stumbled upon these old matchbooks from restaurants that are now gone but not forgotten. Check them out....
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-crystala.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-gal1a.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-gal2a.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-maga.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio