Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2010, 07:38 AM

3,109 posts, read 9,842,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
I was always partial to the Shasta Orange. I did not care for their cola, but the Root Beer was pretty good. I never cared much for any grape soda. Nehi had a red soda that was strawberry flavored, not a creme soda like Big Red.

My great grandmother always had Bireleys Orange in the refrigerator when I visited her. Bireleys had grape and other flavors, but once they came out with chocolate soda. I asked my great grandmother to get me some of it. It wasn't very good, and we went back to the orange after finishing off that six pack!

I have a bottle that once contained "Chocolate Soldier". I heard it was big in the south, but i don't remember ever seeing it for sale around here. Another bottle I have, but never drank is Spizz. The bottle has a date of 1940 on it, and it is green like a 7up bottle. Speaking of 7up, anyone remember RC's answer to 7up? It was called Upper 10. I drank a few Upper 10s in my day, but I do not have a bottle.
Outafocus: I used to drink "Chocolat Soldier" as a kid, 4-5 grade. I found it at a service station in Lake Placid Estates (near Seguin) where I lived. didn't see it much in San Antonio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 05:40 PM

237 posts, read 851,637 times
Better late than never so I'll jump in with another item that will date me but that's ok. Does anyone else recall a sodie pop made in Fredericksberg named "Iron Brew"? They came in small, 8 oz. dark green bottles without a label except for the name Iron Brew on the cap. It had apparently been popular beginning in Prohibition then lasted until the early 1970s. I had it one time only in 1969 here in Austin when a friend from Fredericksberg brought a case to another friend's home for a party and we each got one bottle. My memory of it is still vivid because it tasted exactly like cold Juicey Fruit chewing gum. I can recall my folks in San Antonio remembering it fondly when I told them about so does anybody else remember it ... yes, no, maybe?

Old 04-23-2010, 06:01 PM

Default Iron Brew

After posting my bit about Iron Brew I googled it and found the following from a Fredericksbarg website. "Corner West Main and South Edison – Kraus Building; By 1871, Jacob Kraus was running a soda water bottling plant here. Kraus originally sold one “red” soda water, and one “white” soda water. He later bottled Iron Brew, a soda from the East and the Krauses were among the few Texas bottlers of the soda. So there you have it and here's a modern bottle as seen in the Foxon Park Beverages, Inc. website and their pitch for the soda. I wonder if it still tastes like Juicy Fruit?

It is tough to describe Iron Brew. You'll just have to try this old world, unique soda that has its roots in old Scotland.

Do you like Kola?
Do you like Cream?
Do you like Root Beer?
Then Iron Brew is the drink for you!
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-iron-brew.jpg  

Old 04-23-2010, 07:42 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,864,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
Outafocus: I used to drink "Chocolat Soldier" as a kid, 4-5 grade. I found it at a service station in Lake Placid Estates (near Seguin) where I lived. didn't see it much in San Antonio.
That Chocolate Soldier wasn't same as today's Ya-Hoo was it?? I don't think it was called Ya-hoo back then (60's). But, we used to get a chocolate drink in a can with brown and white stripes around it. Before hurricane Carla tore up the coast many of the bait houses had these drinks. Couldn't find them in SA back then. I went to the Bahamas back in the early 60's and my Grandparents had a store on an island. They had the drinks and I probably cleaned them out! But, I can't recall the name.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:04 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,136,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
Better late than never so I'll jump in with another item that will date me but that's ok. Does anyone else recall a sodie pop made in Fredericksberg named "Iron Brew"? They came in small, 8 oz. dark green bottles without a label except for the name Iron Brew on the cap. It had apparently been popular beginning in Prohibition then lasted until the early 1970s. I had it one time only in 1969 here in Austin when a friend from Fredericksberg brought a case to another friend's home for a party and we each got one bottle. My memory of it is still vivid because it tasted exactly like cold Juicey Fruit chewing gum. I can recall my folks in San Antonio remembering it fondly when I told them about so does anybody else remember it ... yes, no, maybe?

While exploring the attic of the Texas Theatre in 1976, I found an empty green 8 oz bottle with no other markings on it. I always wondered what was in it. Maybe it was Iron Brew! Workmen probably drank it while building the theater.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post

I need to get my old bottles out and see where the Chocolate Soldier bottle came from.

My Chocolate Soldier Bottle looks like the one on this site http://tulsatvmemories.com/pop.html but it is smaller, 6 1/2 oz.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:06 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,547,026 times
HEB had Lone Star Long necks on sale so I brought some. The caps have the REBUS's in them--you know --the little puzzles. Ok cheap beer in San Antonio. Handy Andy had Milwaukees Best as the cheap beer for years. Then they went to KASSEL . It was really cheap and the bottles had the little puzzles. Pearl made TEXAS PRIDE. You could get it most places for around a Dollar. Lone Star made BUCKHORN for about the same price--but BUCKHORN was only sold in Bottles. TEXAS PRIDE was in aluminum cans.

Old 04-25-2010, 04:44 PM

Default Bock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
Lone Star made BUCKHORN for about the same price--but BUCKHORN was only sold in Bottles.
It wasn't a cheapo brew but back in the mid to late '60s and maybe even not the 1970s, Lone Star made an excellent Bock in the springtime that was truly tasty. Much more so than Shiner Bock which is ok but has that odd Spoetzel water aftertaste I've never cared for personally. And since you mentioned getting some LSB recently, I'll add that it's still my all time favorite grocery store beer hands down. And even tho it's not brewed in SA anymore the recipe must be the same because it still tastes great when properly iced on a hot afternoon.

Old 04-25-2010, 04:55 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,373,103 times
Outofocus.....do you collect bottles? I just inherited some that are crazy. I don't know where they are from, so I'm a bit premature in asking. I'll have to look them over closely to find any mfg info on them.

One of them I do know is a Codd bottle with the little marble in it. I did some research on that but I don't know what was in it. Do you know what I'm talking about ?

I may have just found a new hobby....these bottles need cleaning badly, but they are gorgeous when they are all together! (even rough and aged looking)....great photography props!

Old 04-25-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Outofocus.....do you collect bottles? I just inherited some that are crazy. I don't know where they are from, so I'm a bit premature in asking. I'll have to look them over closely to find any mfg info on them.

One of them I do know is a Codd bottle with the little marble in it. I did some research on that but I don't know what was in it. Do you know what I'm talking about ?

I may have just found a new hobby....these bottles need cleaning badly, but they are gorgeous when they are all together! (even rough and aged looking)....great photography props!
I'm not an avid collector. They are pretty much extinct, now, but when I was a kid I asked the proprietor of a local Lone Star Ice House to save odd bottles for me, and he did! He would not accept odd brands for deposit when someone brought them in, but I would give him the three cents for the odd ones, so he accepted them all. I have them in the attic of my house, and haven't looked at them in years, but I wouldn't part with any of them.

I do not know what a Codd bottle is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio