Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2010, 08:53 PM

847 posts, read 2,233,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post

I'm almost positive that the building Tiffany Billiards was in used to be a country club,
That would be NorthView Country Club.

It was there at least until 1967 when I was helping to build NorthView Towers.

We would order hamburgers, BLTs, or whatever at the back door to the kitchen.

Made enough money on that job to buy a brand new 1967 Triumph TR6R MurderSickle.

............$2.49 an hour...... I took home 88 bux a week.

moved off of that job and up the road to help build Central Park Mall for Morris Jaffe.

Jaffe *and* CPM are also both gone now. butt, certainly not forgotten..............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cholo57 View Post

Wasn't there use to be a club near Tiffany's at San Pedro?...
.I remember it was going up a hill or something.
Club Moby Dick was right across the street,
butt, I don't think that's the one you speak of.

headed north on San Pedro from Tiffanys down the hill then up to the crest
on the left
was the Rook? Knave? one of those.......

closed it down many a night........

we liked it in the wintertime
cause at 2 AM
drunk
the old magneto fired kick start Harley Davidsons did not like to light up.

butt, everything was downhill from there,
so, second gear, roll it down a hill, dump the clutch, and you're good to go..........

Old 04-10-2010, 08:14 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,547,026 times
Yes Mud ..I loved it when Batteries were optional.The last Motorcycle I bought was a Honda 400 (not the automatic!) Hawk. As far as I know it was the last Motorcycle with a kick starter. Maybe not but soon to be. I just needed something to get to work and I don't know if you remember this but those moto-peds were everywhere. Around 1978. I coulda got killed on one of those things! Everybody was selling "Commuter Bikes". The Suzuki was a 400 CC single cylinder. A Lesbian upstairs had one of those--God I felt so humble. The electronic ignition went out and a new one cost 300.00 dollars. I could get one from a Junk yard but it was 150.00 with no guantee on electronic parts. While it was sitting there somebody tried to steal it. The cops called me when they found it at the bottom of the hill. They tried everything to start it. They put Foil on all the fuses--they busted out the ignition switch. I could have told them they were wasting their time if they had just asked!

Old 04-11-2010, 10:15 AM

2,359 posts, read 6,436,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
This should be interesting. Former original Pig Stand on S. Presa now open as a restaurant

Former Pig Stand reborn as cycle-themed South Town diner - San Antonio Business Journal:
Very interesting on this.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post

I could get one from a Junk yard but it was 150.00 with no guantee on electronic parts.
too bad your machine took a dump like that Dwangle.

Been trying for a while to remember the name of the sickle junkyard
that was out Hwy 87
on the left headed out 87.

you remember??

Old 04-11-2010, 12:46 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,136,560 times
The last motorcycle I had with a kick start, or electric start was a 1978 Honda Twinstar.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuddle View Post
too bad your machine took a dump like that Dwangle.

Been trying for a while to remember the name of the sickle junkyard
that was out Hwy 87
on the left headed out 87.

you remember??
Thats the one I would go to. I don't know if it had a name-I guess it must have been called something. There was a big metal building near Probant and Alamo that had used Motorcycle parts too. I used to go there too.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
The last motorcycle I had with a kick start, or electric start was a 1978 Honda Twinstar.
was the twinstar different from the Hawk? The Hawk had both an electric starter and a kickstarter. The Hawk was a 400cc twin and the first model without spokes although you could still get it with spoked wheels and it was a lot faster . The next one up was a 500cc water cooled version but I don't think it had kick starter. It had a drive shaft instead of a chain (the Hawk had a chain). It is hard to believe that it was over thirty years ago.

Old 04-11-2010, 03:38 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,136,560 times
Here's a picture of a Twinstar that was identical to mine. They came with 180 CC, and 200 CC engines. Mine was a 180. I bought it from a security guard at work that needed fast cash. It wasn't a speed machine, but could keep up with traffic on the El Paso expressways with my 200+ pound carcass on it!

http://motorbike-search-engine.co.uk...a-twinstar.jpg

Old 04-11-2010, 04:03 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,736,736 times
I had a sixties model 180cc Honda with the upswept pipes. Don't remember the model number.
Alas, I traded it for a four speed transmission
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio